Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Nevada vs Resurrection - which is better?

Fallout: Nevada or Fallout 1.5: Resurrection?

• Total voters

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Two Slavjank Fallout mods enter, one Slavjank Fallout mod leaves.

It would also be interesting to know which one has the best least shit translation.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
1.5 had its problems, but nothing that bothered me as much as Nevada's lousy fan-fic writing and adventure game-esque quest design (i.e. pixel hunts).

Wunderbar

Arcane
I guess it depends on what you like in an RPG.

Nevada shines in side quests and the new content, but has a bad main story and overall lacks focus. Resurrection is the most consistent one, but it lacks the new stuff and relies too much on rehashing old ideas from Fo1 and Fo2. Sonora is the best of both worlds - it adds a ton of new equipment/perks/gameplay features, while maintaining the consistency and focus of Fo1. Unfortunately, the quest design, while still being good, is a steep decline from Nevada.

ironmask

Arbiter
Nevada is too easy. Resurrection is too hard. But overall I really enjoyed playing both of them.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shame Sonora is Russian-only for the foreseeable future. That's why it's not in the poll, same as that Olympus thing.

Black Angel

Arcane
Resurrection is the more tightly packed, coherent experience, and thus more easily and readily replayable. Whereas Nevada is the one who utilized Fallout's freeform interactivity and SPECIAL mechanics the way Fallout 1&2 couldn't managed to, from the very beginning of Vault City's prologue all the way to the very last minute of Salt Lake City, the experience spoiled only by its endgame sequence.

Since I don't care for the story in both, and didn't mind Fallout's awkward and janky combat, I love both for these different reasons.

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Both are great. However I started with Ressurection, and didn't mind the grimdark, so it gets my vote.
I remember that there were ghouls with hunting rifles right after you left one of the first cities, and they got me like 4 times before I escaped. Good times.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Nevada is light on combat; I didn't try pacifist but I guess it's possible. More so, the enemies are mostly soft and your access to the bleeding edge weaponry is limited. You'll encounter tough bastards only very late in the game.
People complain a lot about the main plot, but these people are definitely fucked up in the head. Main plot of the game is literally two quests and they take like 5% of overall game. Only in the very end the twist will be revealed:

The twist that the plot of the game was taken from Michael Bay's movie The Island

The side quests, though, is the meat of the game. They really put the game's engine to a good use, almost bordering on adventure genre. Yes, in Nevada, Good Natured trait is the must, and overall, almost none of the skills aren't needed. There's choice, there's C&C, there's much more interactivity than in vanilla Fallout 2 and rivaling that of Arcanum.

Overall tone of Nevada could be described as "tamed Fallout 2". You can clearly see the influence, but it's nowhere near as ridiculous as in basegame.

Don't pick Nevada if you want a lot of combat, otherwise, it's great.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fallout 1.5 can be summarized in two words: combat and forks.

Every town has two-sided situation: two factions or even two characters facing each other and you must pick only one - once you choose, you're locked from the opposing faction, so no Fistful of Dollars play here. It's a peculiar decision, but I'm fine with it.

Overall, the skeleton of Fallout RPG system wasn't changed much, but 1.5 devs tweaked the combat in their own way. Armor is nerfed, enemies are buffed, so combat is harder than in vanilla Fallout 2. Buy all the Psycho and stimpaks you can find, quick pockets is a must - because you will take damage and a lot of it. Psycho is a game changer in the first half, but becomes useless after. I advise everyone to spec Stealth, otherwise prepare for the world of pain. There's a lot of combat in 1.5, so be ready for it.

1.5 is really edgy and you won't get that kind of edginess in any other game.

Don't pick 1.5 if you don't like Fallout combat, otherwise, it's great.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I love the fact that in Nevada unlocking Power Armor is a journey and a global quest in itself: you carefully gather pieces around the map and then either build it yourself if your skills are adequate, or pay a mechanic a considerable sum to built it for you.

Those last several hours when you run around in a functioning Power Armor are sweet.

Learn, Bethesda.

Black Angel

Arcane
Overall, the skeleton of Fallout RPG system wasn't changed much, but 1.5 devs tweaked the combat in their own way. Armor is nerfed, enemies are buffed, so combat is harder than in vanilla Fallout 2. Buy all the Psycho and stimpaks you can find, quick pockets is a must - because you will take damage and a lot of it. Psycho is a game changer in the first half, but becomes useless after. I advise everyone to spec Stealth, otherwise prepare for the world of pain. There's a lot of combat in 1.5, so be ready for it.
Eh, I played Resurrection's combat like I would Fallout 1&2, and I was fine. Ended up replaying it much, much more than my replaying both Fallout 1&2 combined.

Modders are scum and so are people who try to fix Gamebryo shit.
:what:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Resurrection all the way:
  • You get interesting companions
  • It's a more focused experience.
  • Your avatar is part of the story
  • Combat is challenging (it includes more reloads than usual though)

Meanwhile in Nevada land:
  • No companions
  • You're following someone else's footsteps and beside the very early beginning, you don't feel like a part of the story
  • The many side quests; which i usually like; just dilute even further the experience
  • What combat?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom