Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Kinda lost my fire to level up after the sunday bullshit...made me consider why the hell would I bother to keep playing a cryptic MMO as I pressed f5 on their twitter. I'll get level 60, farm gear and then what? There's no endgame content to make the job worth it. Character customization is also shit, which is incredibly disappointing considering those fuckers made Champions and are using the D&D license that already comes with a dozen classes for them to mess with, in this game after filtering the powers and feats that are complete garbage and slotting all the no-brainers you're left with very little choice. Every GWF has Slam and Roar and Wicked Strike/Weapon Master's Strike on their bar, you get those skills by level 30 and will use them for the rest of your life. With TR is no different (if anything it's worse) and I doubt other classes have much more variety. It doesn't help that all gear looks basically the same so there's isn't even that cheap gratification of getting all decked out in super cool high-end gear that makes newbies drool.

The RIFT is calling you bro :love:

Eyeball

Arcane
Heh, played this game 3 days. 1 day got rolled back, lost 1 evening of playing due to server maintenance and now seem to have lost this evening as well due to maintenance.

It's like it just doesn't WANT me to play it. Am I not pretty enough for you, Neverwinter?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea it's pretty lame, though I must say a cape with a cat is sort of fitting for the "I did X and all I got was this lousy T-shirt".

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=894471

Cheap bastids couldn't even throw in a respec token.

I love how when they're apologizing and giving us compensation they can't help but also advertise their $200 pack.

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg
3e6b6b4b53ea7fd55661ccc81644227d1362443512.png
1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

Extra limited for next 6 months, only 200 dorrar...It's a niiiiiice!

Gerrard

Arcane
Also there are multiple cases of people getting away with hundreds of millions (or hundreds of cats) without getting banned.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Kinda lost my fire to level up after the sunday bullshit...made me consider why the hell would I bother to keep playing a cryptic MMO as I pressed f5 on their twitter. I'll get level 60, farm gear and then what? There's no endgame content to make the job worth it. Character customization is also shit, which is incredibly disappointing considering those fuckers made Champions and are using the D&D license that already comes with a dozen classes for them to mess with, in this game after filtering the powers and feats that are complete garbage and slotting all the no-brainers you're left with very little choice. Every GWF has Slam and Roar and Wicked Strike/Weapon Master's Strike on their bar, you get those skills by level 30 and will use them for the rest of your life. With TR is no different (if anything it's worse) and I doubt other classes have much more variety. It doesn't help that all gear looks basically the same so there's isn't even that cheap gratification of getting all decked out in super cool high-end gear that makes newbies drool.

The RIFT is calling you bro :love:
Oh man that game. Gamebryo wow clone :M

Vaarna_Aarne

Gerrard

Arcane
1T6zfxe.png
L9uGxBW.png

I think I can make a blue lv 55 shirt if the task pops up, but the pants are rank 19.

Vaarna_Aarne

And you really don't want to waste the rarer mats until the Purples are available, which is at level 20 (and which also need serious Mithral tools)

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Send me those babies, if you wouldn't mind. I'm only 41 right now but I'd love those for later.

Sir Watson@Crispy8181

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Well... I just counted dialogue trees in my quest. About 100. Not counting one-shot info with one dialogue window, then it's about 70 dialogues. Well... fuck. But at least, I'm having fun with it. It's a strange mix of "This is fucking hard work!" and "I love to do it! I can't wait for people to see this!".

Vaarna_Aarne

Having clocked some levels in with one, here's a guide to how to succeed as a Great Weapon Fighter:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Cryptic loves to reskin their games.

Take the name of a popular franchise, mix in some well established parameters, dumb erverything down to the most forgettable and most pointless metric possible and voila, ready is your shitgame. The mastercooks at Bioware concerted a multi-course dinner using this recipe with Knights of the Old Republic, and Cryptic certainly isn't the kind of company that lets others cook their turds alone.

So, Cryptic has released digested Neverwinter. The main difference is that Neverwinter is a completely unrelated franchise. The cake is a lie. Misleading premises alone are obviously not a good reason to hate a game, but luckily there is a wide range of inadequacies to select from in this cocktail of failure.

Like about every other F2P "MMO" you'll be instanced start-to-finish and you'll never actually get to play with the other players. A penny-pinching syndrom, and while not entirely unexpected, it does get annoying to be in the same zone as a friend and still have to load into their instance.

Talking about loadtimes, they sting. I suppose that's because of this whole foundry quest model, so while you're playing the generic and terrible Cryptic content your load times may be a few minutes. But if you're waiting on a player-made quest to load, better go fetch a coffee. It doesn't exactly matter if that's a bug in the engine or just the result of lazy development. In this era of computing these load times shouldn't exist.

Load times are forgivable if playing the game is fun. But it so happens that it isn't. TERA is certainly to blame for the recent surge of faux-tab-targeting MMORPGs, but Neverwinter makes painstakingly sure that strategy and action are not as fun as holding down the left mouse button. Therefore, Cryptic ensured that you can defeat nearly all encounters by doing exactly that.

Typically for this kind of game you aquire boring skills and abilities to help you kill the droves of profoundly inept trash-mobs, but those are really just there to provide entertainment when you finish reading the newspaper before your dungeon crawl is complete.

The PvP is horrible. When I am struggling to enjoy a MMO, I jump over into the competitive side of things and stomp some people out. So far, the mere existence of PvP in Neverwinter makes the game far worse. Everything in this game is instanced, PvP is no exception. But that was to be expected. No, the problem with Neverwinter's PvP system is the pace. The combat is excruciatingly slow and even if you completely dominate your opponent you still need minutes to actually kill him. This *could* be easily remedied of course, but a quick troll in general chat later it looks like Derplord McSlow actually wants PvP to be as slow and boring as killing non-players. Young people sicken me these days.

There will be the hapless Nerd that played a D&D ruleset game and will therefore understand that D&D and in-depth character development go hand-in-hand. Unfortunately, he will quickly discover that Cryptic has whittled the model down into a generic F2P hack/slash abortion that makes a mockery of the name itself and makes me question why they even chose to license the IP from WotC. You have some general trade-skills and stats, but the effects of being charismatic or strong are completely lost on the game. That is probably because the game is a re-skin of STO and Champions.

There is however one good thing that comes along with the ride that actually fits the D&D tradition: The foundy. The foundry is a toolkit within the game client that allows you to develop your own adventures for yourself or others. The creation of this tool was obviously kickstarted by Star Trek Online and while the project is lost on the shallow canon of Star-Trek, the foundy is gushing wild potential for prospective DM wannabes.

I found the foundry to be extremely simple and even somewhat flexible. If you have a quest in mind you can usually get the job done, unless you want NPCs to sit in chairs - then you're fucked. Yes, most player created content is beyond terrible. Thankfully, this is combated by a reviewsystem that helps the good stuff to float to the top. The game may be shite, but the foundry is worth a shot, but I doubt most of you will actually get to level 15 before boredom kills you.

Graphics: :5/5::0/5: Meh.
Gameplay: -:5/5::0/5: Plays like Diablo except that it's shit.
Originality: :5/5::0/5: Not even the title.
WoW clone: :5/5::0/5: Some WoW stuff.
PvP: :0/5::0/5: Instanced.
PvP Risk: -:5/5::0/5: Risk of falling asleep
Pandering: -:5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5: Dungeons and Lies.

Gerrard

Arcane
Like about every other F2P "MMO" you'll be instanced start-to-finish and you'll never actually get to play with the other players. A penny-pinching syndrom, and while not entirely unexpected, it does get annoying to be in the same zone as a friend and still have to load into their instance.
Yeah, because having 300 players on these tiny maps would be feasible. Even the city lags like shit with only 150 people in it.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I actually prefer this instanced style of MMO. Especially seeing as most quests seem to take place in separate instances. Open-world MMOs rarely do anything other than 'kill x' and 'fetch y.' Neverwinter has those quests too, but there are enough other quests so it doesn't make the entire game tedious.

Eyeball

Arcane
Agreed 10.000 percent. Open World content are retarded grindfests largely involving waiting around for some boss monster to respawn so you can kill it Again and Again.

City of Heroes' model was ideal - almost everything instanced, instance difficulty could be adjusted to suit the leetness of your party and the number and toughness of monsters inside the instance scaled to party size. It also had a random instance quest generator, which was fairly barebones, but provided weeks and months of fun nonetheless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom