Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

eklektyk

Erudite
@ Havoc: I did a bit of research on that 'budget' thingie and, man, do I feel like a bitch now. I did not know the foundry had those constraints so do not mind some of the criticism.

@ Vaarna_Aarne: Yay. Tiefling + Warlocks = I'm in my happy place. T_T I hope they are free but, well, this is Perfect 'I heard you Feddies want carriers so I have decided to let you have this ship that's arguably worse than the carrier Klinks get for free but will cost you 2500 zen.' World. -_-U

@ Eklektyk: Yay for Leadership. I did pick Leadership to focus on because I did like the idea of my Chaotic Asshole half-demon witch being a mercenary commander so I guess LARPing did save the day. :oops: Since we are at it, how do you get more, uhm, 'Duty Officers'? I just have the one soldier I did get in the recruitment mission. Will I get more recruitment missions every now and then or do I have to buy them somewhere?
u have assigment in leadership [and all crafts] to recruit additional slave..ekhm mercenary for 18 hrs :)
so i mostly buy tier1 slaves on market as tu have free craft slots for grinding xp on them more effieciently

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
@ Havoc: I did a bit of research on that 'budget' thingie and, man, do I feel like a bitch now. I did not know the foundry had those constraints so do not mind some of the criticism.

The most important thing is that you liked it. I always welcome criticism, even when it's wrong or uninformed.

Redeye

Arcane
:bro:

Yes the art has gone to a completely anime style of faggotry. In 0e and 1e D&D, the art was gritty and the characters were portrayed as being in deep shit. Ok not everything has to be gritty so 2e was a bit more polished but the art of 2e is really amazing. Characters are still usually shown to be in trouble or in a typical encounter situation. 3rd+ the characters all became ripped badasses in the midst of slaughtering a horde of enemies or decked out in ridiculous armor.

I really liked the 1E/etc. art.

There always was cheese, but I just can't stand it now.

Cool name

Arcane
So I get to level 20 and my reward is... I can now buy a horse. Yeah. Thank you for giving me the chance of BUYING a bleeping horse, Cryptic. Even if hadn't bought a companion I would still be two gold coins short of a horsie. Bleep you.

Also, this game does have the weirdest skill/feat system ever. Usually games do give you lots of options and you have to make hard choices on where to put your skill points. In this game you do have really few options and half of them suck badly, but you are forced to spend X amount to unlock the next tier. So I am, like, 'Gee, let's see... Which one of these skills/feats does suck less?' GJ.

That aside, how are Clerics on this game? Control Casters are weird. On most games control casters are kind of 'control the flow of the battle.' In this game they are, like, out DPS everyone while kind of bothering the enemies a little bit. -_-U

eklektyk

Erudite
get gold for horsie from da bank ...

and clerics are punching bags and die from slightest wind in their general direction ...with solo or pub play they are NOT fun [thats why im doin rogue right now ... much more satysfayingly broken]

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Rogues are fun until you get tired of Lurker's Assault and Duelist's Flurry spam and realize there's no other way to play the class

Also, this game does have the weirdest skill/feat system ever. Usually games do give you lots of options and you have to make hard choices on where to put your skill points. In this game you do have really few options and half of them suck badly, but you are forced to spend X amount to unlock the next tier. So I am, like, 'Gee, let's see... Which one of these skills/feats does suck less?' GJ.
And the CW actually has better power and feat selection than most.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So I get to level 20 and my reward is... I can now buy a horse. Yeah. Thank you for giving me the chance of BUYING a bleeping horse, Cryptic. Even if hadn't bought a companion I would still be two gold coins short of a horsie. Bleep you.

That aside, how are Clerics on this game? Control Casters are weird. On most games control casters are kind of 'control the flow of the battle.' In this game they are, like, out DPS everyone while kind of bothering the enemies a little bit. -_-U
Actually the Wizard has very potent crowd control that's integrated into DPS. A big element is that the wizard can knock enemies around in huge distances, and has the largest number of high damage AoEs (the cornerstone of which is Steal Time, which is also the king of all Stun attacks).

Anyway, the Heroic Feats are just what you start with. Paragon Feats have three feat trees, and you need points in a specific tree to unlock its next tier. It's basically like the Specialization system from Champions.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah, the feats in general kind of suck. partially because they felt it necessary to give players points to spend every level.

J1M

Arcane

Yes, moving 50% faster is a nice reward.

They also give you 3 horse rental tokens that let you use one for a total of 15 hours before you actually need to spend gold on one. That is more than enough time to find 5 gold. Additionally, the rental horses are better than the regular ones because you cannot be dismounted from them.

Also, you get a free companion, you did not need to buy one.

J1M

Arcane

Actually the Wizard has very potent crowd control that's integrated into DPS. A big element is that the wizard can knock enemies around in huge distances, and has the largest number of high damage AoEs (the cornerstone of which is Steal Time, which is also the king of all Stun attacks).

Anyway, the Heroic Feats are just what you start with. Paragon Feats have three feat trees, and you need points in a specific tree to unlock its next tier. It's basically like the Specialization system from Champions.

I've been wanting to hash this out with you. I don't think steal time is that great. Especially the stun component. It is a good aoe damage spell, but has a cast time and long cooldown.

The choke spell and repel are much more reliable (indefinite) crowd control.

Now, perhaps there is a certain build/feat/combo that I'm missing here, but as far as I'm concerned steal time is not a crowd control spell.

Gerrard

Arcane
Now that I know, I'd probably save the tokens for later, more annoying areas of the game, where being immune to dismounting would come in handy.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Just wanted to share my experiences being a GWF so far. I'm at 52, no problem leveling. I actually wish XP gain wouldn't be so rapid.

But with all the complaining going on at the NW forums about GWF and GF for that matter being "useless", especially at 60 and particularly in epic dungeon runs, I have to say I'm a little skeptical.

So far, in nearly every single dungeon run or skirmish I've been a part of, and granted this has been mostly in PUGs, my rankings for the statistics that really count like Most Damage Dealt, Most Enemies Slain and, IMO most importantly, Number of Times Defeated (or whatever that one's called), I've come out looking quite favorable. If I'm not at the top on the offensive ones, I'm always at least squarely in the middle. And in terms of defense, I've never been listed anywhere but dead last (no pun intended) in terms of getting killed. I'm always the one with the most uptime.

Now, that says to me a couple of possible things. Number one, I'm just playing with scrubs and once I graduate to the big boys club I'm going to handed a rude awakening. Or two, GWF's really aren't that bad if they're played fairly well and that the whole thing is a bunch of dorks whinging, which is certainly nothing new to the world of MMO's.

I do admit that I have all of my gear slotted out as best that I can afford, and I've got over 22K HP on my guy, so my results that I've observed about myself may be a little skewed or premature, but I don't see why I can't keep running him the exact same way I have and continue to improve him, FINALLY getting some blues and purples (I have literally none; all greens if you can believe that -- but all ones chosen very carefully for my build), and just continue to sharpen that sword so to speak.

The combat in this game, especially in the dungeons, is fun and addictive enough to keep me going. If they can churn out more and more content, and balance things out more (which Cryptic has recently said they're going to do), then I will only further begin to shine. Heck, I got a nice compliment from a quite good DC the other night after running the ice dungeon. She said I am a "very good GWF. Now I can see why they ARE needed."

Not bad for an old man, eh?

J1M

Arcane
I can't say from personal experience, but I would imagine that the complaints stem from the GWF's focus of melee AOE damage.

On a boss, single-target damage would be preferred. For adds, it is better to control them or kill them before they are in melee range, and the GWF isn't going to tank them as well as a real tank.

Basically, a jack-of-all-trades problem with the class design.

eklektyk

Erudite
u lvlup so fast that u can baerly play few skirmishes before hitting lvl40 ....
i dont understand why they opened epic dungeons and not added epic skirmishes also ...
i lvlup past 2 dungeons doing basicly nothing coz pugs didnot wanted to play them and matchmaker crapped on me...
so yeah content is lacking and all that....

anus_pounder

Arcane
u lvlup so fast that u can baerly play few skirmishes before hitting lvl40 ....
i dont understand why they opened epic dungeons and not added epic skirmishes also ...
i lvlup past 2 dungeons doing basicly nothing coz pugs didnot wanted to play them and matchmaker crapped on me...
so yeah content is lacking and all that....

Thats why you need to get to level 40 in STO and play some STFs with me. :)

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I wish I had the patience to level up some other alts who are considered to be more "l33t". Then I could tell for myself if there really does seem to be a large disparity as far as single-target or even AOE damage among them and the GWF. I suspect it's mostly bullshit.

I have no doubt that other classes are more efficient at these things. I just think that the gap isn't nearly as far as some people are making it out to be, if my own experiences and the results I'm seeing are any proof of that.

My trick is to simply stick to what I'm good at: covering lots of ground in getting to adds who are harassing the cleric, jumping into crowds of mobs and hacking them down with impunity using AOE at-wills and powers with nice crit ratings (for my level), and as I mentioned having a higher-than-average uptime. I am a cleric's best friend, basically.

Cool name

Arcane
Also, you get a free companion, you did not need to buy one.

I didn't know about the free rental horsies. Maybe I did get bugged or something but there was absolutely no text on that quest. 'Talk to this guy', a shop interface does open. 'Talk to this girl', the Zen store does open. That was it. No explanation or anything.

And yes, I know you do get a free companion. First I did get the dog because DPS and because he's super dupe cute, but, well, in Dungeons and Skirmishes he seems to go for the dude I am pewpew-ing instead for THE THREE TRASH MOBS HITTING ME YOU STUPID DOG, and a few levels afterwards enemies when solo-ing were coming in just two varieties: Either they don't survive the alpha strike or the dog's DPS doesn't really make that much of a difference as I am going all on at the big guy while the trash is beating me senseless. So I got meself the Cleric afterwards to save on kitting and level up faster: I stand here and pewpewpew and can ignore the trash, and by the time I am at the next group of enemies I am at full HP again anyways. That way I can also run better in Dungeons and Skirmishes as I can pretty much ignore the trash hitting me to focus on the big guys or to focus on getting agro away from the Cleric (the actual PCs, not the follower) because the tanks suck and just fight the boss without a care in the world for THE CLERIC'S GETTING POUNDED BY ALL THE TRASH MOBS, not to mention I have been getting lots of Dungeons and Skirmishes with no cleric in the party. :S I will probably go for the Cat or the Stone that goes up to level thirty in the long run, but I will wait until the Warlock does come out before investing that much crystal thingies in case I have to buy it.

And don't be so serious, man. T_T I'm just whining a bit to keep the character. You so mean to kitty.

I wasn't a fan of the system back in Champions either, to be honest. :oops: But in the end it was the reason I did enjoy so much the Radiant and the Mind over the other archetypes I did play (grimoire, void, glacier). The Radiant's and the Mind's specialization tree was SO COOL: Focused and giving you several different ways to do the same thingies. It was more of 'Which of these COOL AWESOME thingies I want?' instead of 'Which does suck less?'

Though Radiant > Mind, hands down.

and clerics are punching bags and die from slightest wind in their general direction ...with solo or pub play they are NOT fun [thats why im doin rogue right now ... much more satysfayingly broken]

Awww. :(

I guess I will make one later on just because it is obligatory for me to have a dedicated healer in MMOs, but if it is that bad I will just use it to break the routine.

Vaarna_Aarne

I've been wanting to hash this out with you. I don't think steal time is that great. Especially the stun component. It is a good aoe damage spell, but has a cast time and long cooldown.

The choke spell and repel are much more reliable (indefinite) crowd control.

Now, perhaps there is a certain build/feat/combo that I'm missing here, but as far as I'm concerned steal time is not a crowd control spell.
I'd argue that the length of the stun makes it the most ideal spell for setting up Sudden Storm. There's also the fact its damage is so heavy, that you can easily wipe mobs with just it and one or two additional spells without breaking a sweat, which I think is the most important thing for a wizard going solo (or otherwise), even if Entangling Force is a great spell for PvP or duel type encounters. The damage means it's also functional against bosses (that's why I avoid Entangling Force). The thing with Repel is that it's got considerably lower damage than the other Spell Mastery aoe alternative, Chill Strike, and that it will be a pain in the ass for teamwork in most maps (that is, everything without bottomless pits). Personally I use Shield's Pulse as my replacement for Repel, as it deals a LOT more damage and knocks almost as well (without needing to aim).

J1M

Arcane
I haven't been using shield. I suggest you try it out and see if that frees up another spell slot for you.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I wish I had the patience to level up some other alts who are considered to be more "l33t". Then I could tell for myself if there really does seem to be a large disparity as far as single-target or even AOE damage among them and the GWF. I suspect it's mostly bullshit.

I have no doubt that other classes are more efficient at these things. I just think that the gap isn't nearly as far as some people are making it out to be, if my own experiences and the results I'm seeing are any proof of that.

My trick is to simply stick to what I'm good at: covering lots of ground in getting to adds who are harassing the cleric, jumping into crowds of mobs and hacking them down with impunity using AOE at-wills and powers with nice crit ratings (for my level), and as I mentioned having a higher-than-average uptime. I am a cleric's best friend, basically.
GWF aren't useless, just horribly outclassed. a CW does what you do from 20 ft away while keeping monsters controlled, and TR single target damage is just on another level.

GWF have a more fun playstyle though. And buffs are coming.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I kind of like being the underdog. All that's needed are a few tweaks here and there, such as maybe a slightly longer sprint time or a damage buff or two. More threat generation would be nice as well, but then again reducing it drastically on the cleric would accomplish the same thing.

Vaarna_Aarne

GWF basically just needs better tanking more than anything else, since without dodge it's something the class SHOULD do.

Wild Slop

Arcane
I occasionally inspect other guards.

One that looked human (can't say for sure) had:

18 STR-----13 INT​
27 CON-----12 WIS​
18 DEX-----15 CHA​

The 27 Con especially made me jealous.

Compare to my

18 STR-----12 INT​
26 CON-----12 WIS​
16 DEX-----10 CHA​

Is there gear that ups your attributes? Cause I feel gipped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom