Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Hellion, Nov 20, 2017.

1. KafkaBot Educated

KafkaBot
    Serious question: how bad is this Enhanced Edition? As disastrous as the Baldur's Gates or is it rather acceptable, like their version of Icewind Dale? I ask because I never played the first Neverwinter Nights (or the second one, for that matter; I went straight to MOTB) and this is being sold for peanuts right now. Since purchase adds both the original and the Enhanced Edition to my GOG library, I've been wondering which version I should use for my first playthrough of this.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    ^ Top  
  2. Gargaune Cipher

Gargaune
    It's quite fine and well worth the purchase, especially on sale, but you should be aware that's coming from someone who likes the Infinity Engine EEs. NWN EE's running issue is that Beamdog's QA remains uneven, so you've got some cool new features but also run the risk of the odd new bug rearing its head at some point. That said, I've played four full campaigns on the EE without a hitch, it's more the Toolset side that I've had worries with.

Since you're actually buying it now anyway, just roll with the EE, skip the OC and do SoU and HotU for best first impressions. I get DE owners wondering whether the EE's worth it, but in your case what's the worry? The campaigns are untouched content-wise if you were afraid Neera found her way to Neverwinter.

If you're going with the EE, my only major advice would be to limit the framerate from your GPU controls, not using the in-game limiter. You absolutely do wanna cap it, since you don't want your GPU going nuts over 500FPS for no reason (do 140 for a smooth camera enable Vsync for smooth camera rotation), but the internal limiter messes with the mousewheel zoom, the driver one doesn't. And I also just figured this one out, was complaining about it earlier - if you see some jagged white outlines on objects in front of water, that's because you forced AA on through the driver while the new Shiny Water shader is enabled.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    Yeah, sound general advice about never letting your framerates get higher than they need to. Don't wanna risk bricking your GPU with extra FPS that your brain can't even perceive. I once destroyed an old ATI card I had for only a couple of years that way. I still play most of my games - old, new, borrowed or blue - at 60 FPS, but NWN1 does run kind of shitty if you want a smooth camera rotation at anything less than 120 FPS, though 140 FPS is even better.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. KafkaBot Educated

KafkaBot
    This is excellent advice. I also intend to play NW2 later (without jumping straight to MOTB, as I did before), so your guide on it will be extremely useful. Thanks a lot!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Gargaune Cipher

Gargaune
    Dude, I screwed up! I was just messing around with it a bit more now and lo and behold - Vsync! Just force Vertical Sync on, which caps me at 60 but suddenly camera rotation's smooth as butter. I really should've looked at this earlier.

:greatjob:

One thing I forgot to mention about the first NWN - if you run both the EE and the DE on the same machine, keep in mind that your GPU manager will see both of them as Neverwinter Nights (nwmain.exe) by default, whatever you configure for one will apply to the other. So, for instance, if you wanna have AA on the old one but no Shiny Water outlines on the new one, configure driver AA to enhance the application setting rather than override it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    I always do that first thing with most games I play if the input lag isn't too bad - just enable vsync instead of messing with internal or external framerate limiters and what not. Will automatically lock my frame rates to my monitor's refresh rate then it's usually smooooooth sailing after that... usually. Every now and then though you get the weird game like Gujian 3 that has no option to enable vsync and framerate limiters don't work without evil evil micro-stutter and even your gpu's control panel can't do it. Then, in a last desperate measure, you have to use a horrible hack, like Special K, and inject it straight into your system's vein. That can't be good for you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Gargaune Cipher

Gargaune
    For anyone else stumbling in, lemme just take a moment here and list what enabling Vsync has fixed on my NWN EE install:
    - obviously, having the framerate locked to refresh (60), means my GPU's no longer revving up to push out 500 pointless FPS;
    - input problems which arose from limiting the maximum framerate, i.e. choppy camera rotation and uneven mousewheel zoom, are gone altogether, everything's silky smooth;
    - the F9 Test Module function in the Toolset is once again in perfect working order, whereas previously it was stuttering so hard it was literally unusable (I'd rigged a discrete shortcut with args to launch my hobby module).

Seriously, Beamdog, just how much stuff is tied into the render loop on this one? Put Vsync in your in-game options and enable it by default, the performance impact is irrelevant on a twenty-year-old game.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Orud Educated Patron

Orud
    Strap Yourselves In
    If you're playing HoTU I recommend that you play the latest dev build. It fixes a nasty bug that's been in the campaign these past few years:
    Show Spoiler
    The area where all magic is suppressed doesn't remove the suppression from your items once you turn off the source of the suppression. Leaving you permanently with a metric ton of heavy paperweight.

The dev build also seems to fix the AI in HoTU. Before, my companions never attacked in combat and/or often became completely unresponsive. Hopefully they also fixed the AI running to the center of a trapped area in order to disarm a trap.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    ^ Top  
  9. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Ain't it lucky that I have the original Platinum edition and skipped cuckdog's shitpile?

^ Top  
  10. d1nolore Learned

d1nolore
    they fixed these bugs or rather just removed what they introduced. I never had any bugs like that way back on release

^ Top  
  11. Orud Educated Patron

Orud
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah, I think I'll be shelving HoTU for the time being. Any save I load in chapter 3 causes a scene to play where the camera pans around where my character should be (but he's invisible) for 6 seconds, followed by the credits being played and being sent back to the main menu. Guess I'll have to wait until the next official version is released. Pity, since I was really enjoying my time playing it (although it was a bit easy).

Oh well, time for Swordflight.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    ^ Top  
  12. Gargaune Cipher

Gargaune
    I don't think that's a bug, I believe it was intended design for when you order a henchman to disarm a trap they don't have the skills for - they "disarm" it by springing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Gargaune Cipher

Gargaune
    New patch 8193.32, TLDR below, full notes here. That UI scripting sounds interesting, but I think I'll hold out for now, the .27 Toolset's working fine for me and I'm wary of poking it.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.