Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights Multiplayer help!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I need some help getting a Neverwinter Nights multiplayer game to work. I have tried most of the stuff found on the Internet but for some reason things are not working out. The only way we got it to work was through GameRanger, but I rather avoid using third party software if I can.

Anyway, I'm behind a router and I have forwarded the necessary ports, and I have made sure that windows firewall is not blocking the game. I'm on windows 8.1 and the version I'm playing is the GoG diamond edition.

One thing that I feel might work, but for some reason is not is this solution:

1. Make sure every player uses a different key.

2. Bypass the account authentication:
You have to edit the local "Hosts" file.
It is located here: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (Win 7 32bits)
The file is supposed to be without any extensions.
You might have to run the explorer as administrator to be allowed to open and change the hosts file.
- make a backup copy
- open the "hosts" file with notepad
- add these two lines:

127.0.0.1 nwmaster.bioware.com
127.0.0.1 nwnauth.kr.infogrames.com

- the lines must look exactly as above. No character can be before 127.0.0.1
- press Ctrl+S in notepad to save the file
- check that there's only a "hosts" file and no "hosts.txt" (in case, delete the "hosts" and rename the "hosts.txt" to "hosts")

3. To host the server you need to host it in game (The dedicated server application isn't working properly).
Ports to open on the server's host:
- 5120 through 5300 (Depends on how many players will play on your server. One port per player.)

I found the hosts file and edited it. I put those two lines in as instructed, but when I start Neverwinter Nights and go to Internet play I still get that login thing and that it failed. We have also made sure that our serial keys were different. For some reason they weren't from the beginning but that was fixed. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong here and not finding any information about it.

Hopefully some of you guys can help! (The game seem to run a lot better without GameRanger as well).

Edit:

Forgot to add some details. When my friend connect to me she gets server timed out. But it worked flawlessly through GameRanger, even when the program itself warned us that we were behind a router. One difference when using GameRanger also is that it seem to skip the login process totally, that is why I'm wondering if that could be the issue?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The GOG version doesn't give you an authentic CD key, so you can't authorize with Bioware's servers. Yeah, that's why it's so cheap.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The GOG version doesn't give you an authentic CD key, so you can't authorize with Bioware's servers. Yeah, that's why it's so cheap.

They did add CD keys though, so they keys shouldn't be an issue... but even so both of us own the boxed version with authentic keys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom