Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

That's awesome. Why not post on the front page man?
koala.png

What are you bewildered about? Imagine posting about actual RPGs on an RPG site?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
For my next Swordflight playthrough I am thinking to just make an OP Fighter with high saves

Something like X Fighter / 1 Monk / 1 Pala. Thoughts?

Monk dip gives you:

+2 to all saves
Evasion for free
Cleave

That is sick. Pala dip gives you:

CHA modifier to all saves (+2 if you have 14 CHA)
Disease immunity

(+Fear immunity if you go Pala 2)

notpl

Arbiter
For my next Swordflight playthrough I am thinking to just make an OP Fighter with high saves

Monk dip gives you:

+2 to all saves
Evasion for free
Cleave

Disease immunity

You're taking an XP penalty with that setup no matter what race you use, probably not worth it when you could take a few more levels in Blackguard instead of paladin to get the save boosts as well.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Monk dip gives you:

+2 to all saves
Evasion for free
Cleave

Disease immunity

What order of the levels do you have planned out? I see a lot of builds dip 1 level into Monk that usually take place either early or super late in the build.

I am tempted to try X Sorcerer / 1 Pala for my next crack at Swordflight; that or cleric/monk. Sorcadin is overkill in other modules, but I think it would make for a fun Swordflight build.

My problem with Cleric is that I can never settle on a weapon or weapons to use. But war and/or trickery domains would be fun to try out.

rogueknight333

Arbiter

Something like X Fighter / 1 Monk / 1 Pala. Thoughts? ...

A more or less straight fighter is probably one of the weaker and less interesting things to play in Swordflight, but it can certainly work. The best plan for something like what you are suggesting would probably be to go for 2-3 Monk levels for Tumble Skill dumps, and a 2nd Paladin level for Fear Immunity (and possibly a Taunt skill dump). In Swordflight specifically, going for a 3rd Paladin level to get Turn Undead could open up a number of important side quests that would otherwise be unavailable.

Another advantage of a one-level Monk dip you do not mention is that it allows you to add your Wisdom bonus to AC, which is useful even for a min-maxed build with 8 WIS since you can raise it with potions, items, etc. Though using Armor and/or a shield (which perhaps you plan to do since your build would be primarily a fighter) would cancel that bonus.

MerchantKing

Learned

Monk dip gives you:

+2 to all saves
Evasion for free
Cleave

Disease immunity

I would try a chaotic neutral Gnome Fighter/Illusionist/Rogue instead. Much more fun.

notpl

Arbiter
Highest level base class counts as Humans favored class

So it doesn't count towards the penalty
You have three classes there, not two. Prestige classes never accrue a multiclass penalty, which is why I suggest swapping Paladin for Blackguard. Also, I think swordflight has some special blackguard stuff?

notpl

Arbiter
But they are both level 1
Swordflight goes into epic levels. Unless you plan to take those two classes with your absolute last character levels - which is a bad idea in Swordflight, you're much better served by taking periodic multiclass levels for skill dumping since they play such a big role in the campaign - you'll have a multiclass penalty as soon as you take a third base class.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Highest level base class counts as Humans favored class

So it doesn't count towards the penalty
You have three classes there, not two. Prestige classes never accrue a multiclass penalty, which is why I suggest swapping Paladin for Blackguard...

He is right, Fighter will not be considered at all, so as long as Monk and Paladin levels are kept no more than one level apart, there will be no penalty. Also there are enough respawning encounters that can be farmed in the later chapters of Swordflight that you actually could get away with a penalized build if you really wanted to.

Also, I think swordflight has some special blackguard stuff?

Previous to Ch. 5, it is mostly just the same quests also open to Paladins (with 3+ levels and thus Turn Undead) and Clerics, but yes.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I never finished NWN2's OC. Played it when it first came out. I got to the trial sequence (about 1/3 in?) and quit after that, though the trial itself (or the plot) wasn't the problem; it was actually unexpected to see that in a DnD cRPG and I kind of liked it. I just didn't like the more cumbersome UI and the cluster-fuck visuals of spell effects during battles where you could barely see anything compared to NWN1. I also had a technical issue at the time with AMD video card drivers where my framerates were perfectly smooth one minute just walking down the street then the next (still walking down the street) they got laggy. Ain't nobody got time for that.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
After I import my Darkness Over Daggerford character into Tyrants of the Moonsea, I'm going to start a new campaign with the EE of Siege of Shadowdale then EE CToT.

I'm looking for a recommendation for SoS --> CToT in terms of a class archetype. With DoD, I went in blind and just lucked out by choosing a wizard for my main character (which meshes perfectly with whom you're given). But for SoS and CToT I want to make sure I don't pick a class that's going to be redundant in terms of what followers I'm going to have available to me in the unmodified campaign. Are any class types conspicuously missing in SoS among what you're given as followers right away?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom