Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

rogueknight333

Arbiter
...Hopefully the
ch3 pet buff
applies to my summons, if not I'll just have to cheese harder. :)

Only familiars and animal companions get upgraded in Ch. 3. In Ch. 4 you have the potential to upgrade the elementals summoned by the Summon Creature VII-IX spells (+VI with Animal Domain). The balor summoned by the Gate spell was upgraded as of Ch.2. Unfortunately that is it. I have been considering also upgrading the Blackguard's summoned fiend & undead, Palemaster's undead summons, Shadowdancer's summoned shadow, etc., possibly through mini-quests for those classes, but never got around to it. Since it would require a bit of extra work, and only a handful of builds would significantly benefit, it was never a high priority. Perhaps I will fit some of that into Ch. 5.

volklore

Arcane
Swordflight : Is there a way to have opening doors and chests in houses only shift alignment towards evil in ch 3 (as opposed to chaotic + evil) like joining the thieves guild did in Ch2?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Swordflight : Is there a way to have opening doors and chests in houses only shift alignment towards evil in ch 3 (as opposed to chaotic + evil) like joining the thieves guild did in Ch2?
No, sorry, there is no opportunity to join the local Thieves' Guild in Ch.3, so in this context stealing is assume to be a non-lawful act. Note though that stealing should only shift your alignment towards chaos if you are Lawful - if you become Neutral Evil there is no further Chaotic shift.

If you are now in Ch.3 should I assume you were able to complete Ch. 2 without further major bugs?

NerevarineKing

Learned
Aielund Saga is pretty good so far. (I've only played OC, SoU, and HoU for NWN1 and OC and MotB for NWN2). This is my first foray into community modules and I'm having a good time. Story isn't mind-blowing, but it works well enough. The combat hasn't been excessively difficult for my Barb so far, but I only just started Act 3. I had one bug where a frost giant leader didn't spawn, but I just used the console to give me the head item you would normally take from them. I'm playing the enhanced version of Aielund Saga but with NWN Diamond and that's been the only bug so far. I had way more bugs in the NWN2 OC.

cowking

Scholar
... Shadows of a King's Justice ...

3-part CEP2 module for levels 4-15 new characters

Played as evil evo / transmuter human sorc solo without henchmen

wUObZye.jpg
Onj9PBi.jpg

The Good
+ CEP module, boggles my mind when module makers don't make use of custom content for NWN
+ ideal starting level to avoid lvl 1 yawning
+ infinite bags of holding for a solo character, campaign supports crafting (not that you need any being able to sleep in definitely hostile areas)
+ looks pretty, especially from chapter two onwards

The Bad

- plays badly
- no custom AI encounters
- sneak attack unfriendly (traps / locks don't give xp)
- yawn blabla plot
- no custom OST, not that hard to go download from soundcloud and convert to .bmu

RPG

Writing ranges from good...

RZtwDtk.jpg

... to dogshit awful.

EIazpMm.jpg

Dialogue skills / skill checks are also completely irrelevant throughout the series.

7kP1Iuo.jpg

Main plot starts decent enough giving evil characters a reason to go along and a bit of mystery but it only gets worse as the series goes on, devolving into generic fantasy tripe about kings, humans, elves and war. By chapter three I was speed reading the yawn inducing dialogue as my interest was only in finishing the series due to bad combat.

Chapter 1 side quests had such bad writing I would recommend skipping all optional quests outside the initial district. You can make up the lost 1k xp or whatever in chapter two as there are areas with respawning mobs.

Combat

Chapter one has a few tough fights due to low lvl RNG, spell resistance and level differential, but nothing actually interesting like custom AI encounters. It's playable.

Bad gameplay design starts to show in chapter two at higher levels once the d&d system no longer holds your hand as a module maker.

+ you get a horse instead of trivializing combat by handing out perma-haste (which it does shortly after unfortunately)
- vampire monks / liches having no SR which is just silly compared to chapter one
- the first main boss was a complete anti-climactic joke (no custom AI doesn't help)
- weird itemization like 10-12 spell resistance is somehow useful on a lvl 10-12 character
- stores selling lvl 9 spells is lame and kills already lacking difficulty

By lvl 12 this module series basically dies. I had from gear...

- perma-haste
- freedom
- mind-immunity
- poison immunity
- disease immunity
- level-drain immunity
- true seeing 1x / day
- 2x sequencer robes giving me access to shadow shield for death magic and necromancy immunity along with +3/10 DR and time stop 1x / day

When you give the player this level of power (Gate / BBoD at level 12 hello anyone?) the module difficulty needs to ramp up crazy hard. It doesn't, and turns into you speed-running / sleepwalking with perma-haste clicking randomly somewhere watching pretty lights while everything dies.

The final boss of chapter two happened in a cool area but there was no challenge whatsoever.

Chapter 3 consists of aielund formula melee meat auto-attacking you without haste having varius degrees of immunities.

Plot villain is mega lame and you have to fight him multiple times prolonging the inevitable auto-win, wouldn't even mind it running away from the fight if it was actually scripted properly in a big area where it actually moves with haste instead of annoying cutscene plot garbage dragging the module on.

Final boss had stock AI, no SR, sneak attack immune but no true seeing, dies to like 2x IGMS. Epic.

I get the feeling the module author plays like pure fighter on normal / easy and has no idea about game mechanics.

... Random screenshot gallery ...

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
An interesting development in Beamdog’s shitworld: they’re making moves in full party control direction. Recent patch introduced option for player to control companions in the same way DM controls NPCs in DM mode. Interesting turn of events, I wonder where that will lead... Consequences for module-making may be massive.

Reinhardt

Arcane
An interesting development in Beamdog’s shitworld: they’re making moves in full party control direction. Recent patch introduced option for player to control companions in the same way DM controls NPCs in DM mode. Interesting turn of events, I wonder where that will lead... Consequences for module-making may be massive.
They finished new character models? Or decided it resembles actual work and jumped to next target?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
They finished new character models? Or decided it resembles actual work and jumped to next target?
They didn't and I sincerely hope they never will. What they're doin' right now is fine: they mainly waste their time expandin' options for modders. Which is very good, NWN was made for this. For example, since last patch you can now mod your own custom UI elements, which has a lot of potential.

Gargaune

Magister
That's fantastic news! Is this in the public 83.8193.28 build or is it a beta patch? They've started neglecting patch notes on GOG.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
That's fantastic news! Is this in the public 83.8193.28 build or is it a beta patch? They've started neglecting patch notes on GOG.
It's still in development patch right now, and a recent one, so it'll be some time before it drops publicly.

d1nolore

Savant
Let’s just hope they don’t break anything and introduce more bugs. Always good to expand toolset/mod capabilities though.

Gargaune

Magister
Popiel, the scriptable UI patch just dropped, but is there a public discussion on this latest dev build with companion controls? Beamdog's forums are downright labyrinthine, I can't find anything in there.

d1nolore

Savant
It will likely just be possession tool where you control companions individually, but not together.

I'd say temper your expectations. I just bought Enhanced for easy access to multiplayer and newer versions of my favorite modules. I will say that if these improvements actually work well I'd be feet first into creating new modules myself.

Gargaune

Magister
It will likely just be possession tool where you control companions individually, but not together.
Oster said as much years ago, when Beamdog were still doing streams, that if they were to add some form of companion controls, it'd be swapping out the current character like in KotOR, not IE-style party controls. Which is fine, it'd do the job. I'd have likely settled for a UI-integrated version of Balkoth's Minion Control, but if Beamdog will let me directly command individual companions that's already much better.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Popiel, the scriptable UI patch just dropped, but is there a public discussion on this latest dev build with companion controls? Beamdog's forums are downright labyrinthine, I can't find anything in there.
You know, I'm not sure how that should work or if they're droppin' all of what they're cookin' at the same time.

This is how this feature is described in latest development update:
Added a setting that allows players to control their non-PC party members in the same way as DMs do (drag, ctrl+click, etc). This is off by default, and can be enabled in server settings.
Is that in the game right now? I'm not sure, I would need to check patch notes for release version.

Gargaune

Magister
You know, I'm not sure how that should work or if they're droppin' all of what they're cookin' at the same time.

This is how this feature is described in latest development update:
Added a setting that allows players to control their non-PC party members in the same way as DMs do (drag, ctrl+click, etc). This is off by default, and can be enabled in server settings.
Is that in the game right now? I'm not sure, I would need to check patch notes for release version.
Ah, it's in the release notes for the public .32 release under Other Features, verbatim. I'll try this new build in the next couple of days, gotta back up my stuff first in case I need to revert. This should be interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom