Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has anyone played The Subtlety of Thay for NWN2? Impressions, length, and does it actually take you to Thay? Also, the surviving Vault listings are a little confusing, are the two chapters separate or does the second include the first as well?

It's not grain-filter-bad but it also looks off and weird.
Too much sharpness on a texture painted for lower fidelity can backfire, yes.

Ah, The Subtlety of Thay, unfinished series, from what I remember, but I also remember it as being really good module for what it takes - if you ignore obvious problems of NWN2. It picks up little bit into itself and offers more and more, but it halts someway in the middle of the story. Still, according to what I remember - experience worth the time.

Gargaune

Magister
Ah, The Subtlety of Thay, unfinished series, from what I remember, but I also remember it as being really good module for what it takes - if you ignore obvious problems of NWN2. It picks up little bit into itself and offers more and more, but it halts someway in the middle of the story. Still, according to what I remember - experience worth the time.
Cheers, I'll give it a try then.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cheers, I'll give it a try then.
While we at it - for sake of all that is holy, play Maimed God Saga, it is crazy how well it fucking captures feel of being actual mid-high level paladin and shows well how fucked up divinity is in Forgotten Realms, all along the damn good feeling of being paladin (how it should be, not how it looks in gay 5e castrated setting and mechanics).

Gargaune

Magister
Maimed God Saga
Interesting, thanks for the recommendation! I've usually been circumspect of class-restricted modules, but damn, this thing's got some stellar reviews. Been sniffing around for some good Forgotten Realms campaigns as it is, downloaded.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Maimed Gods Saga requires a cleric of Tyr, not a paladin. It's a very good modul though.
Impressions:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...wn2-modules-thread.34529/page-35#post-4691811

Subtlety of Thay
the subtletyofthaymotbeditionv1.14 file works for me (the allegedly corrupted main archive, works though)
Hard combat ahead, so make a good character, ideally you start by importing an existing lvl3 to lvl5 character with equipment appropriate for that level.
At the start you solo a bit then get a ranger, a rogue/bard, a sorcerer as party members. In part 2 there will be a cleric companion and you'll lose the sorc and the ranger.
I suggest a cleric or favored soul as main char.

Gargaune

Magister
Subtlety of Thay
the subtletyofthaymotbeditionv1.14 file works for me (the allegedly corrupted main archive, works though)
I was under the impression that SoT's Chapter 2 page now features the "full" campaign, both chapters? At least it's labelled as "full" and the readme opens with "The Ch 2 stand alone is ceased to be supported." I haven't gotten around to installing it 'cause it requires some Overrides that I need to sift through.

Anyway, thanks for those module reviews. Maybe I'll check out The Wizard's Apprentice too.

notpl

Arbiter
Karwelas, I appreciate your posts but don't want to read all 109 pages of this thread. Can someone point me toward the worthwhile NWN2 modules, aside from Maimed Gods Saga? I've definitely played everything worth playing for nwn1, but I never gave 2 a chance whatsoever beyond the proprietary campaigns and a little bit of fucking around with the multiplayer at release.

Gargaune

Magister
Can someone point me toward the worthwhile NWN2 modules, aside from Maimed Gods Saga?
Yeah, I'd be interested in people's laundry list of NWN2 recommendations, too. Official campaigns aside, I'd mentioned the following in my guide as worth a look:
- Mysteries of Westgate
- Baldur's Gate Reloaded
- Pool of Radiance Remastered
- Icewind Dale (port)
- A Hunt Through the Dark Remastered

On top of which, thanks to Karwelas and VoD, we've got:
- The Subtlety of Thay
- The Maimed God's Saga
- The Wizard's Apprentice

Starwars

Arcane
Harp & Crysanthemum has some pretty insufferable writing here and there as far as I can remember but it was one of the better NWN2 modules that I remember in terms of atmosphere. It was one of the first where I remember thinking that "ok, the toolset is more complex than NWN1, yes, but it can also produce some pretty amazing results visually". The guy who made it also made quite a beautiful and simple soundtrack to it using a banjo.

There's also a mod called Trinity which I remember enjoying a lot though to be honest I can't really remember any details about it so take that as you will.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's also a decent mod called lost (Something or the other) of Algard. That was nice for as far as I played it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Idanthrine prince / umbral abyss (middle earth setting)
tears of ilmarid 1 & 2
Conan chronicles 1-3
Path of Evil
If you like hard combat:
Shrouded Sun (hardest combat in all NWn2 modules I played, underdark setting , must pick underdark race as PC, I suggest to pick half drow to not cause ECL penalty and pick bard or cleric as PC, of course that requires you to know why bard or cleric are the most powerful classes when shtf and equipment is limited)

plem

Learned
Can someone point me toward the worthwhile NWN2 modules, aside from Maimed Gods Saga?
Yeah, I'd be interested in people's laundry list of NWN2 recommendations, too. Official campaigns aside, I'd mentioned the following in my guide as worth a look:
- Mysteries of Westgate
- Baldur's Gate Reloaded
- Pool of Radiance Remastered
- Icewind Dale (port)
- A Hunt Through the Dark Remastered

On top of which, thanks to Karwelas and VoD, we've got:
- The Subtlety of Thay
- The Maimed God's Saga
- The Wizard's Apprentice

there's a weird narrative focused one called Live Forever. I don't know if I'd call it good, but it's worthwhile for the novelty at least. the dialogue is longwinded and autistic but it's got a decent atmosphere and intriguing themes.

Starwars

Arcane
there's a weird narrative focused one called Live Forever. I don't know if I'd call it good, but it's worthwhile for the novelty at least. the dialogue is longwinded and autistic but it's got a decent atmosphere and intriguing themes.

I never played that one but the same author also did one called Asphyxia which was, well, similar to what you say. It also had some great looking areas from what I remember.

NWN2 is pretty nostalgic to me as I was pretty involved in the community when MotB and then SoZ were released. Those were fun times.

Just started up a playthrough of the NWN2 OC and man, the trio of Khelgar, Neeshka and Elanee are just so incredibly insufferable. Though I'm pretty sure they'd be a whole lot less annoying were it not for the voiceacting. Also forgot how incredibly shitty low level combat is in these games.

Still, can't help but like it somehow. And can't help but like the clunky engine.

Mud'

Scholar
So i am going to start playing Swordflight Chapter 1 as a human Paladin, what skills should i take for this module?

So i am going to start playing Swordflight Chapter 1 as a human Paladin, what skills should i take for this module?
Persuasion skills can be very useful so have a few points in charisma and persuasion. Also potions can get a bit rare in later chapters and the bigger dungeon crawls so invest in healing skills and Lay on Hands

Mud'

Scholar
Thanks! Should i also invest for Search and Detect traps or do I get a Rogue who will do that kind of busy work?

Gargaune

Magister
I don't remember how much use you'll get in Ch.1, but don't neglect your Discipline throughout the campaign, Swordflight's mobs love to get handsy. Feat-wise, get Blind Fight at your earliest opportunity.

Thanks! Should i also invest for Search and Detect traps or do I get a Rogue who will do that kind of busy work?
You get a Bard who can do a decent job with traps, but you're on your own with locks.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Tumble is the closest thing to a must have skill, due to the AC boost it provides. Unfortunately melee warrior types, who tend to need it the most, can only take it as a cross-class skill unless they multi-class, but it is worth investing in even so.

Discipline unfortunately tends to be a questionable investment. Since a discipline check is a skill check against a DC equal to the attack roll triggering it (with occasionally a few other special modifiers added in), if you have a good Armor Class (and you really want to have good AC here) any attack roll high enough to hit in the first place will more than likely also be good enough to beat the Discipline check. This tends to make the skill rather redundant most of the time. It is not completely useless, since it can occasionally help you against Natural 20 hits that trigger the skill, and in addition, in Swordflight, there are occasional special scripted checks against the skill. As a rule, though, there are probably better things to spend skill points on.

Having one of the three conversational skills at a high level will often be helpful and as Persuade is a class skill for Paladins it makes sense to invest in that. Taunt is another paladin class skill that might be worth investing in. It can make many fights much easier.

Throughout the series, you will sometimes have access to henchmen with rogue skills and sometimes not. If you take such skills yourself you can certainly expect to get some use out of them, but if taking them as cross-class skills you probably cannot get them to a high enough level to get all that much use out of them. There are some benefits to having them, but it is also quite possible to manage without them (which could be said of almost all the skills in the game, actually).

d1nolore

Savant
Problem is you will have limited skill points as a paladin so in theory there’s lots of good skills especially if you cross class skills, unfortunately you won’t even manage to get half of them.

Out of the class skills:
Concentration: for resisting taunt, you won’t really do casting in combat as a paladin, nah
Craft armor, trap, weapon: no
Discipline: handy if you can afford to get it
Heal: Yes - most effective healing in the game overall.
Lore: Quality of life skill if you can afford.
Parry: no
Persuade: Yes for Swordflight
Ride: no don’t think there are mounts
Taunt: Fun skill, yes if can afford.

There are a few cross class skills that would be good, but eat up your skill points. You may consider Multi classing into other classes. I would recommend taking first level rogue, take a couple of useful rogue skills and bank the rest of the points, that way you can continue to cross class skills later at lvl7? Otherwise don’t expect many skills beyond the basics.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Persuasion skills can be very useful so have a few points in charisma and persuasion. Also potions can get a bit rare in later chapters and the bigger dungeon crawls so invest in healing skills and Lay on Hands

Swordflight uses a lot of skills, Persuasion, Bluff, Appraise, Lore, Heal and of course Open Lock, Use Magic Device and traps.

Swordflight uses a lot of skills, Persuasion, Bluff, Appraise, Lore, Heal and of course Open Lock, Use Magic Device and traps.
Yes it does, but in my playthough it helped me more to specialize in one or two things. I'm not an autistic munchkin looking to powerlevel or metagame my way through as much content as possible. So maybe the way I play through the game is different from people on the Codex. If you're a wizard or some kind of other class that relies on high intelligence you might be able to get away with having all those skills. But even then you won't be as good as just specializing in one or two. Also it's fucking boring to be a character who can just do everything. Do what your build is good at. And make a new character to see what else you can do in another playthrough. Swordflight is incredibly reactive and has content designed around all the different classes. So there's really no need to be a Paladin who can disarm traps and pick locks when the game enables you to use your paladin skills and feats.

notpl

Arbiter
If you aren't much of a metagamer you're going to have issues with swordflight. IMO in the later chapters it pretty much requires an optimized martial character

rogueknight333

Arbiter
It is true enough that one wants to have a good build here, though in my own play-testing I managed with some sub-optimal ones and did fine with non-martial ones. In the context of the current discussion, though, it is not even possible for a single character to take every skill that is going to be very useful in Swordflight, so trying to cram in as many as possible is not necessarily the best approach to designing an optimized build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom