Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights thread

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Haven’t found an appropriate thread.

Is there a way to play OC vanilla? I.e. without expansions‘ additions e.g. feats, spells, skills etc. The Diamond Edition which is the most close thing to the vanilla pollutes the majestic OC with an OP stuff from the expansions.

Sabotin

Scholar
I'd try with critical rebuild patch, the one that's used without expansions if it'd work?

At worst you can just not use the stuff added in expansions, I don't believe the OC itself uses any of it.

Codex Year of the Donut
At worst you can just not use the stuff added in expansions, I don't believe the OC itself uses any of it.
the expansions add a lot of content that's nearly impossible to avoid without proper research beforehand, probably easier to just happen upon some original nwn install discs
Original Campaign 2002

It's a lost era. Or perhaps, a "replaced era" would be more accurate. The Original Campaign (or the "Plague Campaign") was only playable as intended for a short period, one year, before the first expansion, Shadows of Undrentide, was released the following June and changed the core game.

Join me as we travel back 15 years to play the OC as players did when Neverwinter Nights was first unveiled to eager gamers around the world.

THE SIMULATION: Play the OC as it was intended to be played.

Listed here are the ruleset elements to play very nearly as those who opened the box to install the 3 CDs. The instructional booklet would have contained exactly what you see listed below (except for the comments).

Though some of the scripting was also modified in later releases, a player can mimic a similar challenge level by avoiding the boosts added in subsequent modifications to the core game.

These features are:

CLASSES

Limited to:

Barbarian, bard, cleric, druid, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, wizard; no prestige available until SoU released; pure or multiclass are equally valid in all releases.

RACES - The original 7 races have remained unaltered from the original game.

WEAPONS

Limited to:

Simple - club, dagger, mace, sickle, spear, morningstar, quarterstaff, light/heavy crossbow, dart, sling

Martial - battleaxe, greataxe, greatsword, halberd, handaxe, heavy flail, light flail, light hammer, longbow, longsword, rapier, scimitar, shortsword, shortbow, throwing axe, warhammer

Exotic - bastard sword, dire mace, double axe, kama, katana, kukri, scythe, shuriken, two-bladed sword (weighed 4.4 lbs in 2002)

SKILLS

The following 8 were added with expansions so they do not apply to the OC:

Appraise (no dice rolls used for trade in the first shops)
Bluff
Craft armor
Craft trap
Craft weapon
Intimidate
Ride
Tumble

FEATS

Racial feats: remained unaltered throughout all releases.

Class feats: remained unaltered throughout all releases.

Epic feats (general and bonus): none applicable to the OC.

Instant feats: none applicable to the OC.

General feats not applicable to the OC are:

Artist
Blind fight
Blooded
Brew potion
Bullheaded
Circle kick
Courteous magocracy
Craft wand
Curse song
Dirty fighting
Divine might
Divine shield
Expertise
Extra music
Extra stunning attacks
Great cleave
Greater spell focus
Greater spell penetration
Improved expertise
Improved initiative
Lingering song
Luck of heroes
Mount actions
Mounted archery
Mounted combat
Rapid reload
Resist disease
Resist energy
Resist poison
Scribe scroll (wizards did not get for free at Level 1)
Silver palm
Snake blood
Spring attack
Stealthy
Strong soul
Thug
Whirlwind attack
Zen archery

Summoning Feats (changes)

Summon Familiar: Limited to bat, fire mephit, hell hound, ice mephit, imp, panther, pixie, raven (eyeball, faerie dragon, pseudodragon... added later).
Animal Companion: Limited to badger, wolf, brown bear, boar, hawk, panther, giant spider, dire wolf (dire rat... added later).

SPELLS (refrain from using any on this list for the OC)

BARD

0 - Flare
1 - Amplify, Balagarn's iron horn, Expeditious retreat, Magic weapon
2 - Cloud of bewilderment, Tasha's hideous laughter
3 - Displacement, Greater magic weapon, Gust of wind, Keen edge, Wounding whispers
4 - (no spells added with expansions)
5 - (no spells added with expansions)
6 - Dirge

CLERIC

0 - Inflict minor wounds
1 - Bane, Divine favor, Entropic shield, Inflict light wounds, Magic weapon, Shield of faith
2 - Inflict moderate wounds, Stone bones
3 - Continual flame, Darkfire, Glyph of warding, Inflict serious wounds, Magic vestment
4 - Inflict critical wounds, Greater magic weapon
5 - Battletide, Circle of doom, Monstrous regeneration
6 - Banishment, Greater sanctuary, Planar ally, Undeath to death
7 - (no spells added with expansions)
8 - Earthquake
9 - Undeath's eternal foe

Domain Spells - remained unaltered throughout all releases.

DRUID

0 - Flare
1 - Camouflage, Magic fang
2 - Blood frenzy, One with the land
3 - Greater magic fang, Healing sting, Infestation of maggots, Quillfire, Spike growth
4 - Mass camouflage
5 - Inferno, Monstrous regeneration, Owl's insight, Vine mine
6 - Crumble, Drown, Stonehold
7 - (no spells added with expansions)
8 - Bombardment, Sunburst
9 - Earthquake

PALADIN

1 - Bless weapon, Deafening clang, Divine favor, Magic weapon
2 - Aura of glory
3 - Greater magic weapon
4 - Holy sword

RANGER

1 - Camouflage, Magic fang
2 - One with the land
3 - Blade thirst, Greater magic fang
4 - Mass camouflage

SORCERER/WIZARD

0 - Acid splash, Electric jolt, Flare

1 - Expeditious retreat, Horizikaul's boom, Ice dagger, Ironguts, Magic weapon, Shelgarn's persistent blade, Shield, True strike

2 - Balagarn's iron horn, Cloud of bewilderment, Combust, Continual flame, Death armor, Flame weapon, Gedlee's electric loop, Stone bones, Tasha's hideous laughter

3 - Displacement, Greater magic weapon, Gust of wind, Keen edge, Mestil's acid breath, Scintillating sphere

4 - Isaac's lesser missile storm

5 - Ball lightning, Bigby's interposing hand, Firebrand, Mestil's acid sheath

6 - Bigby's forceful hand, Flesh to stone, Isaac's greater missile storm, Stone to flesh, Undeath to death

7 - Banishment, Bigby's grasping hand, Great thunderclap

8 - Bigby's clenched fist, Blackstaff, Greater sanctuary, Sunburst

9 - Bigby's crushing hand, Black blade of disaster

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Haven’t found an appropriate thread.

Is there a way to play OC vanilla? I.e. without expansions‘ additions e.g. feats, spells, skills etc. The Diamond Edition which is the most close thing to the vanilla pollutes the majestic OC with an OP stuff from the expansions.

The main culprit here is the 2DA files. They will 100% 90% define what ends up in a module or game.
Even if you have the expansions installed with all the data / UI elements ect.. You can remove almost everything from the expansions if you can get your hands on an archive of the 2DA files (just a bunch of text files formatted as a 2-Dimensional Array).

You could go into each 2DA and cut out the XP1 XP2 lines.. but that will be an excessively tedious operation.

(To play the OC clean, you really just have to neuter classes / feats / spells / etc.. you could leave placeable and blueprint references, the OC won't use those entries - afaik HOTU didn't add anything hardcoded like ammotypes.)

Modders will often post these 2DA's as a resource on the vault..

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwnee/other/nwn-ee-819313-full-2da-source

You will want an archive for the version of NWN you want to revert back to.
Keep in mind in NWN1 a lot of things can be hard coded.. so this will work better on the Enhanced Edition version.

I wasn't able to find a 2DA archive of the original OC.. maybe just pirate it.

Once you have a set of 2DA's, you'll need to package them into a hak and stuff it on the OC modules.
(Again, maybe there's a hak out there already that does this.. not sure)

This is way easier to do in NWN2.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How the Codex has changed, finally recognizing NWN1 as MAJESTIC.

Also, never knew how hard it was to track down until now. I might have to dig up that old DVD.

You could always learn to love the expansions, after all, as Shillfinitron says:

"BioWare's last D&D RPG had a terrible original campaign, better expansions, and a universe of wonderful fan modules. Beamdog's Enhanced Edition is really just a patch, but at least it's on Steam now."

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
archive.org most likely has it, you probably need a USA IP to use it I'd guess
How does it even work? I am now downloading the original ISOs. Is it supposed to be easy like that?
I'd try with critical rebuild patch, the one that's used without expansions if it'd work?
Thanks, I am going to need the 1.69 patch after I’ll obtain the original game.
I don't believe the OC itself uses any of it.
It very much does.

Gargaune

Magister
You guys know I like NWN and I can understand people wanting to play the "original" version of something, to a point, but I think this might be the most anal thread I've seen on the Codex.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I fully acknowledge the outrageous decline brought by the NWN’s OC. But it’s just fun to play idk.
You guys know I like NWN and I can understand people wanting to play the "original" version of something, to a point, but I think this might be the most anal thread I've seen on the Codex.
I am also a zealous IE purist fervently advocating the integer upscale tech.
Yes, I run BG1 mounting 5 ISOs.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Oh look what I've found - a russian licensed copy on 3 CDs!

1t6l1Dx.png

but i'm not going to make an ISO image
:keepmymoney:

because i don't have a disc drive anymore

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Oh look what I've found - a russian licensed copy on 3 CDs!

1t6l1Dx.png

but i'm not going to make an ISO image
:keepmymoney:

because i don't have a disc drive anymore
Ah, the times long gone. Reading Russian NWN forums from 2002-2003 feels so nostalgic.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thanks, I am going to need the 1.69 patch after I’ll obtain the original game.
Screw it. Opted for staying on 1.22 because after the 1.30 they started adding new greyed-out skills and feats begging to buy the expansions in the descriptions. Disgusting.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Aye, so I settled on installing the 1.29 patch (the last one before SoU’s 1.30 which added new skills, feats, classes etc. to the OC which is weird because I don’t have the expansion installed).
Ah yes, I’ve downloaded the original three ISOs from the archive.org (thanks Rusty and God bless America) and found a CD key on an obscure Russian NWN forum (Боже храни Россию).
The first thing I’ve noticed after downgrading from 1.69 to 1.2x is how obviously worse the animation looked in the earlier versions of the game. Other than this my only disappointment so far was that Discipline isn’t a paladin class skill, oh well.
Feeling cozy having this little feats and skills to choose from.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why do the spell mantle spells only work on spells that check for spell resistance?
https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Spell_mantle

"Mantles do not absorb all spells, just the ones that check spell resistance."

Is that a PnP thing in the rules, or just a NWN fuckery thing?. Playing a ironman mode atm and got hit by everard's black tentacles, and I typically play warriors or thieves so this particular part of the rules got by me.

Also (no I'm not going into another autistic saga) but Beamdog dun fucked stealth up in this game as well.

bloodlover

Arcane
I am guessing that this is now the official NWN thread so might as well post here. In HoTU, am I supposed to use the Rod of Resurrection on the henchmen that I find just as I descend? It's very convenient that I got it just at the start of the game so I am wondering if it's a game design choice or I can just save it for later? :)

It's been a really long time but IIRC you can ignore the earlier henchmen since you'll have the option to pick some others up later, so you can just keep the charges on the rod. I don't remember the earlier ones being necessary to progress but I probably should do a SoU and HotU play since it's been so long. I'm second guessing them not being necessary since I do vaguely remember some puzzles in the undermountain part and have a slight feeling that you need multiple bodies to do at least some of them, but since I think you start with Deekin maybe you're fine.

Don Peste

Arcane
I am guessing that this is now the official NWN thread so might as well post here. In HoTU, am I supposed to use the Rod of Resurrection on the henchmen that I find just as I descend? It's very convenient that I got it just at the start of the game so I am wondering if it's a game design choice or I can just save it for later? :)
Whatever you like but there's a 137 pages thread here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ancement-now-with-new-premium-modules.119226/

laclongquan

Arcane
I fully acknowledge the outrageous decline brought by the NWN’s OC. But it’s just fun to play idk.
I am also a zealous IE purist fervently advocating the integer upscale tech.
Yes, I run BG1 mounting 5 ISOs.
You dont actually need to mount ISO. Copy disc content into game folder, then change ini file for a bit and it will directly access data in HD instead of take a circular route through a simulated CD.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For me the OC is somewhat serviceable until The Port Llast — having to do the same shit again i.e. getting familiar with your new base of operations is so damn tedious, it’s just lost me there on my recent playthrough.
Other than the campaign and the story which are as I said serviceable to some degree, I love NWN. Aurora engine has its charm, sound design is good, music is awesome, parrying animations are hilarious. Never got into the modules thing, also skipped addons for some reason, though I acknowledge for many these are the things they appreciate the most about the NWN.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am posting in a Neverwinter Nights thread.

You know exactly what I'm going to say. I don't even have to type it out. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom