Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum New Arcanum Mod: Professor Bowtie's Arcanum Complete

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I actually wanted to try the mod but all this "You guys are mean, I go to Reddit" killed all my desire
Actually at this point I thought that OP a lot younger than he/she proclaimed, but I remembered that elderly can act sometimes spoiled and decided to brush it off as age thing. However OP definitely needs more thick skin to be a moder.
I was thinking about not intervening in affair, but then I remembered other cases when mods shat upon for sheer existence and decided not to pass up opportunity to clash with flow of this thread.

jackofshadows

Magister
Btw, speaking about serious mods, jackofshadows before demanding new module for Arcanum you should consider the fact that module broken on modern operational systems - it's lags and crashes constantly. Arcanum need new module making tool and this is too much to ask from English teacher who makes his/her first mod don't you think?
Dude, I wasn't demanding anything from OP, neither brand new module, let alone new tool for making them. I was merely implying that his attempts have almost zero value as opposed to what some were able to claim. He/she/they is basically doing mod strictly out of its own preferences or its sisters, whatever. Good for them, honestly but I cannot apploud to just that, lets seek some arselicking on reddit for all I care.

Last edited:
I think it's time to bring "holy trinity of rules for people who upset with mods":
1) Nobody forces you install this mod
2) It's absolutely free
3) Even if it not ideal - it makes people to talk more about old ass game and maybe increases number of people familiar with this game.
Considering three rules laid out above - all this rage and screeching is pointless and stupid as fuck.
No, you don't "playing 5d psychological chess" - you acting like hostile idiot and that kind of idiot who threaten to kill people in public place for random reason.
Honestly, I am just glad that there still exist people with enough passion and willpower to mod Arcanum, even if it is config file. Spanky McGuire if you really enjoying modding Arcanum - don't give up because some idiots told you so, maybe you will be inspired one day to make global modifications which make "cocks" from rpg codex eat their own words.

Hi, thank you for the encouragement and sanity.

For everyone else still going on about this, with email notifications popping my inbox, here are a few points--

1. I didn't leave here because you guys are mean. I left because I have threads on four websites going, and I need to point my focus in the right direction. RPGCodex has been almost entirely pointless because the comments are driven by nostalgia, uninformed bias, and herd mentality posturing. Many full-grown people with sad lives care too deeply for things designed for children and young adults. That's a sort of fandom I find best not to bother dealing with.

2. Reddit isn't licking my ass, and I'm not a redditor. Reddit is just a little less autistic and sad and actually helping me playtest the mod to find the bugs I've spent the last week changing. Reddit criticizes the mod in a way that contributes to its improvement. I didn't want compliments; I wanted advice based on playtesting. Why would anyone want to wade through the shitty sort of environment here, if they're trying to accomplish something?

3. More than half the complaints about the mod raised here are based on surface understanding of the changes and bias based on nostalgia. For example, the speed reduction doesn't really slow down travel outside of combat, and it can be altered or removed with a few keystrokes anyway, and constitutes only a small part of the changes, and not one to which I was married. I could easily remove the speed reduction and keep the other changes, if players actually played the mod and though it in the best interest of the gameplay. That sort of feedback based on practice is exactly why I shared the mod.

4. The original game still exists. Take a breath.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
For example, the speed reduction doesn't really slow down travel outside of combat, and it can be altered or removed with a few keystrokes anyway, and constitutes only a small part of the changes, and not one to which I was married. I could easily remove the speed reduction and keep the other changes, if players actually played the mod and though it in the best interest of the gameplay. That sort of feedback based on practice is exactly why I shared the mod.
"speed reduction outside of combat doesn't exist"
"it does exist, I can remove it"
"i wasn't even married to it, I could remove it easily"
"but I won't, because you whined too much about it"
"did I mention I came here for feedback? but didn't get any!"

What the fuck did I just read?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm going to try this. I'm going to actually try this in real-time mode, for some reason. I will probably switch back to turn-based mode, because I am old and crotchety.

I have no idea whether or not I'll like this mod. But it intrigues me. And I haven't played Arcanum in many, many years. Hell, I never actually completed it.

I will report back.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Okay, Spanky McGuire, you've got a p. spectacular failure right off the bat.

- Fresh installation from GOG
- Apply Drog's patch
- Apply high-res patch
- Start new game, everything looks perfect
- Apply your mod
- Start new game, wait, what is this?

Only after applying your mod, on a brand-new save, confirmed multiple tries, several of the corpses around the crash are no longer showing up on the screen as actual corpses, they're standing up as if alive, but still are listed as corpses. They can be checked for loot as normal, but they look like living NPCs.

Back to just using Drog's patch only.

(Edit: And turn-based)

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Cool mod but the combat and rpg mechanics were not arcanums problems. Problem was its simply a inferior fallout 1-2 clone with locations you visit and reactivity.

Endarire

Scholar
Thanks for making and sharing this mod, even though it didn't seem like my style of mod. And your post was on my birthday last year, too! Thankee!

Diggfinger

Arcane

Hi, thank you for the encouragement and sanity.

For everyone else still going on about this, with email notifications popping my inbox, here are a few points--

1. I didn't leave here because you guys are mean. I left because I have threads on four websites going, and I need to point my focus in the right direction. RPGCodex has been almost entirely pointless because the comments are driven by nostalgia, uninformed bias, and herd mentality posturing. Many full-grown people with sad lives care too deeply for things designed for children and young adults. That's a sort of fandom I find best not to bother dealing with.

2. Reddit isn't licking my ass, and I'm not a redditor. Reddit is just a little less autistic and sad and actually helping me playtest the mod to find the bugs I've spent the last week changing. Reddit criticizes the mod in a way that contributes to its improvement. I didn't want compliments; I wanted advice based on playtesting. Why would anyone want to wade through the shitty sort of environment here, if they're trying to accomplish something?

aHHH...dat feel when someone REALLY understands the Codex:hug: :bro:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom