Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Ya'll realize game development is a soul-crushing hellscape right?
Very true, an insane amount of work for often mediocre wages. And you have to deal with your managers stealing your breast milk and farting at you in meetings.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Very true, an insane amount of work for often mediocre wages. And you have to deal with your managers stealing your breast milk and farting at you in meetings.

I would be somewhat surprised if Josh Sawyer didn't go out and kill a random hooker once every 2-4 years just to keep himself rejiggered.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Normal conversation about the weather:

VIgtfls.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Gamedev is a fine job if you can make it work.

I overwork myself but it's shit I love. I don't get stressed out. My soul is fine and I don't look like I'm from a dystopian future, even though that's my favorite genre.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
It's very different for an indie or smaller dev than a AAA dev I think. AAA devs don't get to work on things they love, they get to model horse cocks while their boss separates them from their family for 2 years and their other boss blackmails them into sex on a business trip.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's very different for an indie or smaller dev than a AAA dev I think. AAA devs don't get to work on things they love, they get to model horse cocks while their boss separates them from their family for 2 years and their other boss blackmails them into sex on a business trip.

Lol, I do wonder how that job in Red Dead Redemption 2 got delegated.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's very different for an indie or smaller dev than a AAA dev I think. AAA devs don't get to work on things they love, they get to model horse cocks while their boss separates them from their family for 2 years

True, but that's any desk jockey job. I've had good ones and bad ones, the key is really just to assert yourself and not be dragged into office politics.

and their other boss blackmails them into sex on a business trip.

:prosper:

Although I did have the benefit of not working with disgusting gamerTM types.

thesecret1

Arcane
In AAA you work just like anywhere else, except you're subject to frequent and sudden changes from above. So you're working on something for months, only for some retard from management to come, play with it for five minutes, and tell you that the whole thing needs to be scrapped and done again because he doesn't like it (and then he'll proceed to tell you how it should look usually in words such as "Do it like in [Big AAA game that sold shitloads]"). Since there's much more distance between everyone (both due to a much bigger team and due to a much larger hierarchy of the company leadership), this sort of shit happens way too often. Alternatively, after working on something for half a year, you'll learn some other part of the team is lagging behind too much (usually because management came, demanded adding a new feature, and didn't change the deadline), so all your work is getting cut, that sort of thing.

Do you know the Mafia series, for example? Both of these things happened during the development of Mafia 3. Art team had been working for months on an entire city (I think it was Havana? Not sure) and actually had it pretty much ready, massive as it was... only for the whole thing to get cut. Ouch. Many among the art team quit after that. Or do you know the driving model in Mafia? Fun fact – in all three games, it was done by the same dude. He likes creating super complex and super realistic systems – in Mafia 1, there was no mechanic tailored to a specific car. Instead, he just created the system, into which design put car parametres from some car encyclopedia. And it actually worked, all the cars behaved precisely like they should. So he then improved on it in Mafia 2, and aimed to create the ultimate system in Mafia 3. And he did it, it was super realistic, gave you a real feel for the car. Then some management dude came, played it for five minutes, said he disliked the driving model (because, due to how realistic it was, you needed a touch of skill to drive well), and had the entire thing scrapped, telling the guy that he should create something more arcade-y for driving. And that's how you got the shitty driving model in Mafia 3 that everyone hates. The dude naturally quit the company afterwards as well.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
In AAA you work just like anywhere else, except you're subject to frequent and sudden changes from above. So you're working on something for months, only for some retard from management to come, play with it for five minutes, and tell you that the whole thing needs to be scrapped and done again because he doesn't like it
Thinking about all the horror stories of Ken Levine changing the entirety of Bioshock games in the middle of development over and over

thesecret1

Arcane
thesecret1 There is simulated driving in Mafia 3 though, so I assume it was not 100% scrapped?

You always try to salvage your work if you can. I'm not sure what state simulated driving is in (haven't asked the guy about that), but you know he didn't get to polish things as he'd like, as the arcadey bullshit was now supposed to be the main driving mode. Anyway, this is the story behind the driving model in Mafia 3, to give you an idea about working in AAA. Or 2K, more precisely – no matter who I asked, nobody seemed to have positive experiences with working there. Everyone only had horror stories and warned me about ever even thinking about working there.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
So are most jobs.

I'm so fucking tired of reading "GAMEDEV IS THE WORST JOB EVER I HAVE TO SIT IN A CHAIR AT A DESK FOR LONG HOURS..."
yea go work in a fucking coal mine 14 hours a day

That analogy would work if it was like, the 1910s, but mining became a pretty good, well paying job with benefits after awhile. You could support a decently sized family in a coal mine for awhile there. And anyone who does the "abloobloobloo its harder to do physical labour" bro your body dies if you do shitty work regardless if you sit or not. Sitting in a chair for 14 hours a day getting carpal tunnel, fucking up your eyes, getting no exercise, et al, is also really bad for you. It wont fuck you as fast as being a dockworker, sure, but you will not end up healthier at the same age.

Codex Year of the Donut
So are most jobs.

I'm so fucking tired of reading "GAMEDEV IS THE WORST JOB EVER I HAVE TO SIT IN A CHAIR AT A DESK FOR LONG HOURS..."

That analogy would work if it was like, the 1910s, but mining became a pretty good, well paying job with benefits after awhile. You could support a decently sized family in a coal mine for awhile there. And anyone who does the "abloobloobloo its harder to do physical labour" bro your body dies if you do shitty work regardless if you sit or not. Sitting in a chair for 14 hours a day getting carpal tunnel, fucking up your eyes, getting no exercise, et al, is also really bad for you. It wont fuck you as fast as being a dockworker, sure, but you will not end up healthier at the same age.
So what's stopping them from going and working in a coal mine right now?

Cael

Arcane
So are most jobs.

A truck driver can earn 145k/year easy driving trucks for a mine. It, however, requires competence in something, which, as we all know, leftards are incapable of.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You always try to salvage your work if you can. I'm not sure what state simulated driving is in (haven't asked the guy about that), but you know he didn't get to polish things as he'd like, as the arcadey bullshit was now supposed to be the main driving mode. Anyway, this is the story behind the driving model in Mafia 3, to give you an idea about working in AAA. Or 2K, more precisely – no matter who I asked, nobody seemed to have positive experiences with working there. Everyone only had horror stories and warned me about ever even thinking about working there.

Yes, arcade is default mode. You have to activate simulator mode. But I remember it being pretty damn good and fun to drive, one of the really good things about the game. Liked the story too before it took a nosedive into everyone white is racist territory.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
So are most jobs.

How in the unholy fuck is that NOT a nonsensical response?

Codex Year of the Donut
So are most jobs.

How in the unholy fuck is that NOT a nonsensical response?
Surely it's a better job that pays more money?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom