Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Lhynn

Arcane
Yes DA2 had some clear design shortcuts but you prepare yourself for this and it has real gaming entertainment.
:lol:
I dont even know who you are and i can already place you among the worst shit tasters in this forum.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Where did this "Bioware magic" exist? Considering none of the Dragon Age games are good, with first one being the "most RPG" but also most dysfunctional and some of the worst combat in cRPGs in general? At least it was a party-based RPG. Mass effect games are just shooters, the first one is somewhat of a RPG but just barely.

"Bioware magic" if it exists is Bioware having accidentally made BG1, which is a very good game, and BG2, which is up there though worse than BG1.

Codex Year of the Donut
Where did this "Bioware magic" exist? Considering none of the Dragon Age games are good, with first one being the "most RPG" but also most dysfunctional and some of the worst combat in cRPGs in general? At least it was a party-based RPG. Mass effect games are just shooters, the first one is somewhat of a RPG but just barely.

"Bioware magic" if it exists is Bioware having accidentally made BG1, which is a very good game, and BG2, which is up there though worse than BG1.
You don't understand what it's referring to, stop posting.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

I understand what it is referring to. You are not capable of comprehending what I am saying. Are you one of those people who played DA:O as a child and didn't understand the game is dysfunctional or did you play as an adult and didn't have the mental faculties to realize what the system is describing doesn't match what happens?

People talking about "Bioware magic" are talking as if it only "failed" at Anthem, when the fact is DA:O doesn't have a functioning combat system, it doesn't even work as stated without compilation of patches and even then it is bare bones. How did "bioware magic" work when DA:O, supposedly the "Golden standard of bioware magic", doesn't even fucking work?

Codex Year of the Donut

I understand what it is referring to. You are not capable of comprehending what I am saying. Are you one of those people who played DA:O as a child and didn't understand the game is dysfunctional?

People talking about "Bioware magic" are talking as if it only "failed" at Anthem, when the fact is DA:O doesn't have a functioning combat system, it doesn't even work as stated without compilation of patches and even then it is bare bones. How did "bioware magic" work when DA:O, supposedly the "Golden standard of bioware magic", doesn't even fucking work?
I said stop posting.

None

Scholar

Blame the process, blame the industry, just don't blame Mark Darrah.

Gradenmayer

Learned
"bioware magic" was a real thing, it's also something most studios had.
Hard working, dedicated employees.

Gee, can't understand why it doesn't exist anymore.
Bioware magic is when management does not know what they want and everyone has to work extra hours because of it. It's a forced, unnecessary hard work performed to compensate someone else's retardation.

Codex Year of the Donut

Bioware magic is when management does not know what they want and everyone has to work extra hours because of it. It's a forced, unnecessary hard work created to compensate someone else's retardation.
bioware magic is when they hired competent people instead of people that look like this
:bioware:

Bioware magic is when management does not know what they want and everyone has to work extra hours because of it. It's a forced, unnecessary hard work created to compensate someone else's retardation.
bioware magic is when they hired competent people instead of people that look like this
That is not what Bioware Magic is. "Bioware Magic" is the process working on a game for many years, while hardly making any progress, and then "magically" putting together a solid product in the last six months.

I guess one could say that Bioware had good developers, but was plagued with bad management.

That said, you apparently didn't watch the video. The explanations from FreeKaner and Gradenmayer also just flew right over your head.

Codex Year of the Donut

That is not what Bioware Magic is. "Bioware Magic" is the process working on a game for many years, while hardly making any progress, and then "magically" putting together a solid product in the last six months.

I guess one could say that Bioware had good developers, but was plagued with bad management.

That said, you apparently didn't watch the video. The explanations from FreeKaner and Gradenmayer also just flew right over your head.
"good employees are capable of putting in extra hours to get work done"
whoa

Gradenmayer

Learned

'Bioware magic' was about management forcing devs in Bioware to put together a game within 8 month, after scrapping previous years of work, ya dimwit. It's not a good thing.
That's the reason every single game they make uses the same 3 tilesets for every location.

Codex Year of the Donut

'Bioware magic' was about management forcing devs in Bioware to put together a game within 8 month, after scrapping previous years of work, ya dimwit. It's not a good thing.
That's the reason every single game they make uses the same 3 tilesets for every location.
and what do you think is the reason it no longer works like it used to?
please, be specific

Gradenmayer

Learned

please, be specific
It never did? They were forced to churn out 1 game per year since ME2 and every game after sucked giant cock. For every game that was in development longer they trashed 1-2 prototypes.

Codex Year of the Donut

please, be specific
It never did? They were forced to churn out 1 game per year since ME2 and every game after sucked giant cock.
so you're accusing them of lying and never making any games prior to ME3?

Gradenmayer

Learned

please, be specific
It never did? They were forced to churn out 1 game per year since ME2 and every game after sucked giant cock.
You literally told one dude above that he doesn't know what "Bioware magic" means, while you yourself can't understand it after 3 explainations.

Holy fuck, how slow are you?

Codex Year of the Donut

please, be specific
You literally told one dude above that he doesn't know what "Bioware magic" means, while you yourself can't understand it after 3 explainations.

you realize "bioware magic" isn't a phrase that was made up by some retard on youtube, right?

Gradenmayer

Learned

please, be specific

you realize "bioware magic" isn't a phrase that was made up by some retard on youtube, right?
Then what is it? Cause seems to me you are the only retard making up definitions around here.

Codex Year of the Donut
Then what is it? Cause seems to me you are the only retard making up definitions around here.
The belief that a game's development will come together in the last 6 months. That's literally all it is.
It's not "making an entire game" in those 6 months. It's that they hired competent employees capable of working overtime when they got close to deadlines. Now they hire people who break down crying when asked to actually do their job.

Whoaaaaa such a hard concept, I had to watch a youtube video to have some retard explain it to me!!! power 2 the people, unions now!! stop the mean video game companies from exploiting their developers, they need more time to dilate!!!!

Camel

Scholar

Precisely. I’m playing BG2 right now and I’m astounded how great it is with awesome combat, diverse bestiary of monsters, too-notch itemisation, encounter design, mature and adult themes, thoughtful and not overly wordy dialogues, fantasy characters talk like elves and dwarves with their Medieval speech-style.

Larger than life characters were always BioWare’s forte but here they behave like real people with no shoehorned “progressive” agenda and no current year newspeak. They also developed their masterpiece in 1,5 year.
Bioware lost great devs/writers and replaced them with gender studies feminists. I really miss the 90s games, literature and movies.

The Mass effect franchise losing a great Chris l’Etoille and a functional writer Drew Karpyshyn was a death blow for the ME3 story even if they lost most RPG aspects in ME2.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom