Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age New Dragon Age confirmed

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Infinitron, May 22, 2017.

1. Atlantico unida e indivisible Patron Vatnik

Atlantico
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    That is exactly what Mark Darrah said in the video.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    I barely read what other people post, do you think I'm really going to watch a video?

• Funny x 7
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Camel Learned

Camel
    Precisely. I’m playing BG2 right now and I’m astounded how great it is with awesome combat, diverse bestiary of monsters, too-notch itemisation, encounter design, mature and adult themes, thoughtful and not overly wordy dialogues, fantasy characters talk like elves and dwarves with their Medieval speech-style.

Larger than life characters were always BioWare’s forte but here they behave like real people with no shoehorned “progressive” agenda and no current year newspeak. They also developed their masterpiece in 1,5 year.
    Bioware lost great devs/writers and replaced them with gender studies feminists. I really miss the 90s games, literature and movies.

The Mass effect franchise losing a great Chris l’Etoille and a functional writer Drew Karpyshyn was a death blow for the ME3 story even if they lost most RPG aspects in ME2.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    I only felt that magic in BG/BGII and Kotor. Everything else was hyped up mediocrity.

^ Top  
  5. Ravielsk Prophet

Ravielsk
    Could you elaborate on what was broken about it? Its been ages since I played it and the only thing I really remember is that I ended up cheesing everything with mage spam.

^ Top  
  6. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    BG2? Basically, just about any significant battle is a wave of Spell Breaches and Dispel Magics and the like before real combat can even begin. It just becomes tedious after a while.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    A quarter of abilities don't work as described, some of the supposed buffs actually make the character perform worse. Most of the numbers are incorrect, scaling is incorrect, bunch of bugs really. Stacking rules are all fucked up.

Magic is completely fucked up. You have abilities like "mana clash" that oneshot anything with mana in a game where most encounters have a mage, immediately oneshotting what are supposed to be some of the hardest encounters, including an optional mage encounter. Blood magic spells that are supposed to only apply their dots when paralysis is supposed to be resisted applies their dots all the time. Arcane fighters get straight up able to solo everything with 0 effort. You can cone of cold kite the whole game if you are particularly bored.

It's arcanum levels broken game when it comes to combat, more or less. Requires unofficial patches to fix most of the bugs and even if you don't use completely broken stuff like mana clash, blood magic and arcane fighter it's mostly just tank and spank where AI just targets your invulnerable members with no combar variety whatsoever. Admittedly the spell combos are a good idea but they are never needed. Though sleep into nightmare would oneshot most enemies early on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Dycedarg Learned

Dycedarg
    Interesting that they consider Inquisition to be a success. Regardless, having a team of experienced developers was certainly a saving grace for the company. The games they produced weren't always good. In fact, I'd say quite a few were either mediocre or downright awful. But I'm curious if the new devs will be able to churn out anything at all. I was really surprised they had nothing to show on the last Game Awards.

^ Top  
  9. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    You guys should try playing those games without SCS enabled sometime, it has really colored your memories.
    It was. There's a line of thought I've seen on codex quite frequently that it wasn't a success, there's no evidence for this. You don't make multiple major expansion pack-tier DLCs for a game that isn't a major success.

^ Top  
  10. Atlantico unida e indivisible Patron Vatnik

Atlantico
    DAI sold well enough, but so did MEA. Look how that was treated.

Neither EA nor Bioware ever bragged about DAI total sales or published hard numbers, which means it definitely didn't meet corporate expectations.

Hell, even Anthem sold well. In the millions. Also didn't meet expectations and was dropped.

DAI was the first major product to fail to meet sales expectations for Bioware, and I suspect it was a matter of prestige to follow it up with a complete DLC treatment. Bioware was going to eat that loss.

The first DAI DLC was cut content, an entire new area, and the only one that could be described as an expansion pack. The best DLC of the three.

The second and third DLC were story-DLCs completely separate from the rest of the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    MEA didn't get a single DLC tho and it ended on a cliffhanger.
    They implied it sold above expectation in their 2015 earnings call.

^ Top  
  12. Larianshill Arbiter

Larianshill
    Why, though?

^ Top  
  13. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    Because people today are pussies.

^ Top  
  14. Atlantico unida e indivisible Patron Vatnik

Atlantico
    A crime. It's should have had the full DLC treatment, and it sold well, in the millions.

The record breaking performance they're referring to, would be the high initial sales afaik — not total sales (?)

Regardless, they never released the total sales figures for DAI so it is hard to say for sure. I don't speak corporate very well.

^ Top  
  15. Frozen82 Arcane

Frozen82
    Its simple, you had bad management and competent programmers now you have bad management and incompetent programmers.

You cant tell me that shit like Cyberpunk was shit because of crunch lol If you cant make it in a fucking decade you should learn to code first.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Semiurge Cipher

Semiurge
    That troll is making the Turian three-fingered "quote quote" gesture.

^ Top  
  17. Aarwolf Learned

Aarwolf
    Compare it to the critical response to ME:A and Anthem - that was their last game that wasn't trashed to hell and back by both the gamers and game jurnos. It was even 2014 GOTY (what a sad year).

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Assisted Living Godzilla Cipher

Assisted Living Godzilla
    BioWare was still running on good will fumes with Inquistion, that's the only reason (and maybe riding the bull memes) it didn't get as much shit as it should have, and it got some shit, but Inquistion and Mass Effect 3 were still in a stupidity grace period. Also game journos weren't going to turn around and shit all of Inquistion after Mass Effect 3 became their poster boy for "shut the fuck up you stupid fans" with that ending. Journos mostly didn't even seem like they wanted to shit on Andromeda, and that game was getting dragged by pre ResetEra NeoGAF because of all the terrible pre release footage.

BioWare was also able to scapegoat the game's problems off on EA and Frostbite, even though nobody else seemed to have these Frostbite problems BioWare had.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Because they were making games frostbite was designed for, bioware was not.
    Bioware being forced to use frostbite was a terrible decision. They had an in-house engine they were continuously working on for years that was tailored to their exact needs.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • No No x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Assisted Living Godzilla Cipher

Assisted Living Godzilla
    I don't fucking buy it, especially since they said that same shit with their Mass Effect game too, and Mass Effect is just a third person shooter. Oh, we can't use this shooting engine on our shooting game... that's just like get the fuck out of here BioWare. Racing games came out on Frostbite, Mirror's Edge Catalyst came out on Frostbite, all the EA Sports games for the last few years have been on Frostbite, some Plants vs Zombies game came out on Frostbite; BioWare seems to be the only one to have problems with Frostbite. Think BioWare also said one of the problems with Frostbite was it couldn't do large environments, even though it seems like it was made for large environments.

BioWare also wasn't forced into using Frostbite. At least going by what some former BioWare employee said.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. SlightlyRadioactive Learned

SlightlyRadioactive
    Well, as far as I know the shooting and driving in Andromeda were fine, the problem was everything else. But you are right EA and Frostbite are not the only reason for this game to be a mess, Bioware obviously had no concrete idea on what to do with the series after Mass Effect 3's ending during development and that lead to a lot of wasted time and resources that ensured this game's complete technical failure.

^ Top  
  22. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    What other developers do you know who've used Frostbite for RPG development?

Do you know a lot about video game programming?

^ Top  
  23. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Given that Bioware had already produced Inquisition with Frostbite, before Andromeda, I'd chalk it up to technical incompetence of the specific Bioware studio that worked on Andromeda. I think that was the bigger factor. But I get that in the commotion of fighting the fire, it's always easiest to blame the tech. Because the least amount of people can give you counter arguments about it, and it's as distanced as possible. You are not seen as blaming people, worst-case scenario, you're blaming some faceless programmer, so the engine is the least offensive scapegoat.

Obsidian also spent quite some time explaining how hard it was to adapt Unity to their needs with PoE. In reality, if "it's the tech's fault" the fault is actually with whoever didn't provide the developers enough time to learn the tech well. But that's an unpleasant topic and finger-pointing which wouldn't be done publicly.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Assisted Living Godzilla Cipher

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Including BioWare? Zero.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    Okay, let's get real here.

[​IMG]

Inquisition was the first Frostbite game to include shit like spellcasting, sword and staff fighting, branching dialogues, etc. Of fucking course it was hard for Bioware to incorporate all that with this engine. It was never built for it.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.