Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm still holding to a repurposed failed MMO theory. It's one thing to make a shit game, it's another to make such a particular flavor of a shit game.

DAI has an uncanny gameplay familiarity with Kingdoms of Amalur, which is basically an offline MMO. DAI is like an Amalur re-skin.

I suspect Bioware was so late with DA3 development and so desperate, they just copied someone else's homework and ran with it.

Vatnik Wumao
Bioware had never done a open world game before Inquisition.

None of those maps are "open world." I don't know how you can say they're more open world than say, all the maps in Baldur's Gate.
Meh, can't really compare isometric maps to fully 3D maps. And while DAI might not be open world, the maps are large enough to give the feel of open world gameplay (too bad that they're arbitrarily overextended and full of MMO tier grinding activities though).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Meh, can't really compare isometric maps to fully 3D maps.

Other than finally being able to support room-over-room, does it make a difference? Third person view, forced bird's-eye perspective, only an aesthetic change.

Gradenmayer

Learned
For reference. On Weekes.
PATRICK: I was on Origins, but everything I wrote was cut. I wasn’t on Dragon Age II, except for occasionally tossing advice to people at lunch
I was a senior writer but not the lead, and so for my part, writing the followers, for me it was an experience of getting to see Cole, Bull and Solas from start to finish, and that by itself was huge.
He wrote Cole, Bull, Solas and everything in DLCs.
And he will be writing the next game.
:negative:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
PATRICK: I was on Origins, but everything I wrote was cut. I wasn’t on Dragon Age II, except for occasionally tossing advice to people at lunch

Say what you will about Gaider, but the present day snowflakes make him look like a tower of rationality and refined taste for fantasy writing.

Delterius

Arcane
I'm still holding to a repurposed failed MMO theory. It's one thing to make a shit game, it's another to make such a particular flavor of a shit game.

DAI has an uncanny gameplay familiarity with Kingdoms of Amalur, which is basically an offline MMO. DAI is like an Amalur re-skin.

I suspect Bioware was so late with DA3 development and so desperate, they just copied someone else's homework and ran with it.
it also has an uncanny familiarity with a skyrim chasing version of DA2

Camel

Scholar

Say what you will about Gaider, but the present day snowflakes make him look like a tower of rationality and refined taste for fantasy writing.
Time flies, even a Twilight fan David Gaider is becoming a fan favourite compared to modern RPG writers. "Twilight got the romances right".

Gradenmayer

Learned
A decade ago, a lot of people loved Weekes's contributions to ME2 and 3. :M
He can write characters, but story in Trespasser sucked a big one.
Maybe he could write a good story with enough time and without having to base it on shit story of the previous game. Who knows (doubt it though)?
Would pick him over Kristjanson (dude who wrote Sera) for sure, but that's not saying much.

Dycedarg

Learned
None of those maps are "open world." I don't know how you can say they're more open world than say, all the maps in Baldur's Gate.

Even if you argue the maps are not truly open world, it does make a difference. Compare the size of the maps to the ones in DAO or DA2. The amount of resources Bioware had to spend to fill those maps with content probably took a toll on the studio. I think this explains, at least in part, why everything in the game feels so souless. It's a classic case of choosing quantity over quality.

Meh, can't really compare isometric maps to fully 3D maps. And while DAI might not be open world, the maps are large enough to give the feel of open world gameplay (too bad that they're arbitrarily overextended and full of MMO tier grinding activities though).

Agree. And I think the choice of filling it with filling it with MMO tier quests is a consequence of trying to make such a huge game.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Reminder that this is what the game used to look like in 2013.

Either the game had to be dumbed down for last-gen consoles or this is a serious case of false advertising.

Would pick him over Kristjanson (dude who wrote Sera) for sure, but that's not saying much.
Also known as the guy who wrote Baldur's Gate 1. :lol: This is what SJWism does, it rots everyone's brains, whether they're newfags or oldfags.

Codex Year of the Donut
NWN release date: June 18th, 2002
(releases: kotor, jade empire, mass effect, sonic)
DAO release date: Nov 3rd, 2009
days between: 2695

DAI release date: Nov 18th, 2014
(releases: mass effect andromeda(separate studio), anthem)
Today: Feb 6th, 2022
days between: 2638

:bioware:

Wunderbar

Arcane

Either the game had to be dumbed down for last-gen consoles or this is a serious case of false advertising.

can someone explain the difference between this and the released version for someone who didn't play DAI?

Delterius

Arcane
can someone explain the difference between this and the released version for someone who didn't play DAI?
For one they feel much less claustrophobic.

DAI is not truly open world. It's made up of several very maps which are much larger than anything seen before in the series, but it's still nothing like a Skyrim, a Witcher 3, or a Zelda BotW. Those games are even larger and their content much more spread out than even the biggest maps of DAI. They aren't called 'walking simulators' for nothing, part of the experience of those games is traversing vast expanses of nothing with your horse on full gallop. Wether this video demonstrates a change in the game's direction we can't know for sure. But it sure seems like it.

Codex Year of the Donut

it's basically nothing alike at all as far as I can remember, but its been years since I played DAI.

enemies attacking the keep used to "maintain your presence" -> wow, have to break this down here. There's no such system at all in DAI, you have one keep total and it's never attacked. You have a starter village that gets attacked, but it's just a scripted mission(not some dynamic system they seem to imply) and not part of some big area either.
"maintaining morale and position you hold" -> ??? nothing like this in the game
live event featuring warboats -> nope, nothing at all like this in the game at all. Closest is Iron Bull's companion quest and you don't even interact with the boats, they're just there off in the distance.
combat looks similar I guess
"these are my men" -> there's no such system in place at all in DAI, you never see any of your "troops" around because iirc you don't have any. He implies there's leadership involved, and no, there's not.
the area itself doesn't look anything like crestwood actually does ingame btw
"[party members] can spot things and call things out" -> not that I remember

again, this area looks nothing like I remember
there's no keep in the area to "capture", it's just another mission and you never go back there again. In fact, this makes a lot more sense now that there was such a system in place considering how every area you "capture" gets memoryholed 5 seconds later.

strangest part is that the game released what, 1 year later? No wonder the areas were so empty if they were all redesigned in such a short timespan.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
it's basically nothing alike at all as far as I can remember, but its been years since I played DAI.

enemies attacking the keep used to "maintain your presence" -> wow, have to break this down here. There's no such system at all in DAI, you have one keep total and it's never attacked. You have a starter village that gets attacked, but it's just a scripted mission(not some dynamic system they seem to imply) and not part of some big area either.
"maintaining morale and position you hold" -> ??? nothing like this in the game
live event featuring warboats -> nope, nothing at all like this in the game at all. Closest is Iron Bull's companion quest and you don't even interact with the boats, they're just there off in the distance.
combat looks similar I guess
"these are my men" -> there's no such system in place at all in DAI, you never see any of your "troops" around because iirc you don't have any. He implies there's leadership involved, and no, there's not.
the area itself doesn't look anything like crestwood actually does ingame btw
"[party members] can spot things and call things out" -> not that I remember

again, this area looks nothing like I remember
there's no keep in the area to "capture", it's just another mission and you never go back there again. In fact, this makes a lot more sense now that there was such a system in place considering how every area you "capture" gets memoryholed 5 seconds later.
The demo shows Crestwood having a proper questline, with dialogues and cutscenes and shit. In the actual game it barely has anything of substance, just like any other of the "open-world" zones. Also, it looks the Western Approach has a day-night cycle in the demo, that's not in the game either. The game has a pointless resting mechanic which is probably a remnant of this.

Delterius

Arcane
"these are my men" -> there's no such system in place at all in DAI, you never see any of your "troops" around because iirc you don't have any.
speaking of remnants, the idea that 'a system of sieges and your men moving around the battlefield' somehow turned into 'put a flag on place, now there's 4 npcs around it and you can reset your potions there' is really funny

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I mean a lot of what Gaider wrote was also supposedly cut and the guy made the setting.
But it comes accross from Weeks as an irrevertible loss to the history of gaming. Think the burning of the library of Alexandria. :D

Every location shown in that video was not part of the game
:bioware:
Oh I remember this demo, and how hyped I was. Genuinely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom