Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Nines_Anarch

Learned
Close this thread. This game doesn't deserve our time. The franchise is already dead. Let it rest in peace.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fuck me, the poor fuckers getting their hopes up. This game has already got off to the worst start possible, by having itself based around a fucking DLC & associated with the steaming piles of wank that was DA:I.

You forget that if it's another DA:I everyone here will put 100 hours into it before calling it shit.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I respect you, but this is all bullshit. Yes some games like Breakpoint bomb, because they're bad games that get bad press and there are plenty of alternatives. Pretty much every singleplayer game Bethesda has put out since Fallout 4 bombed as well, it's a tough market. That doesn't change the fact if you make a good online service game that attracts a fanbase like Rainbow Six Siege you will make infinitely more money than with a singleplayer title. It's similar to how Disney has very little interest in mid-tier movies, they either want to make small budget arty stuff that doesn't lose much (indie games) or big blockbusters that make a billion dollars (online games). I'm not saying singleplayer games from corporations will vanish overnight, but they will get more and more rare as it becomes harder and harder to justify the expense to the suits. Hell man, this is already the case.
All Battle Royales except PUBG and Fornite were failures, most MMOS except WOW werent all that successful, most HearthStone copies are failures, most all LoL clones are failures, market saturation is a thing and the market isn't infinite, people are talking if those publishers are immune to the diminishing returns rule of competition, they arent.

The question is that on short term, they can get a nice boost of revenues by repurposing their existing, already successful multiplayer franchises into games as service and EA isn't above lying to investors that they can infinitely expand their business model (they can't). The more the competition get fierce, more of those live services will fail and people many times understimate the investment on live games, Epic keeps a huge team of developers working like work horses, 80 hs a week to keep Fortnite going. Apex Legends flopped hard because of this when EA figured out, the hard way, that if they didn't kept pushing content at insane rates, people would leave on droves, can you keep huge teams working on all those live service games?

I can see EA doing this for one or so games but an entire line up of live service games? All publishers doing it at the same time? Sorry, that is just delusion motivated by greed, they will eventually hit a wall and start learning.

Anthem flopped hard and EA pulled the plug because it was more expensive and risky to fix their live service than cut it out. FIFA, The Sims, Battlefield are franchises begging for live services but after their regular fanbase of their already successful multiplayer games is already milked to the max? What are they going to do to keep growing? 20 different live service games? Nah... Without mentioning that not ALL publishers have the money to fight for market share on the live service fad. People forget those ads cost millions and millions of dollars. The whole notion that FPS shooters are very easy and cheap to make is kinda strange when activision keep three entire studios on rotation to keep shitting out Call of Duties and many times they have problems.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Anthem flopped hard and EA pulled the plug because it was more expensive and risky to fix their live service than cut it out. FIFA, The Sims, Battlefield are franchises begging for live services but after their regular fanbase of their already successful multiplayer games is already milked to the max? What are they going to do to keep growing? 20 different live service games? Nah... Without mentioning that not ALL publishers have the money to fight for market share on the live service fad. People forget those ads cost millions and millions of dollars. The whole notion that FPS shooters are very easy and cheap to make is kinda strange when activision keep three entire studios on rotation to keep shitting out Call of Duties and many times they have problems.

I think the losses on Anthem are more than likely made up for and then some by the success of Apex Legends. Obviously I'm not in a boardroom at EA, so it's impossible to say, but if you make tons of money for everything that sticks why not throw a few things a year at the wall? The fact it takes so much of their resources is probably why fewer and fewer "AAA" games are coming out from corporations lately. That doesn't mean the gamble isn't worth it. Every time I see these corps report great earnings it's because of some digital service success.

Again though I don't think offline games are going away, more just that they're harder to get greenlit in a world where the next big live service revenue stream is the focus of the suits. DAI sold well and Bioware has a built-in fanbase in the genre, so it's definitely possible they got it done.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Is Dragon AIDS 4 promising to be even worse and pozzed than Dragon AIDS 3? It's a shame how they ruined a fairly interesting series with rampant SJW propaganda, hideous characters with repulsive personalities, and totally shitty gameplay.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

What is shit? Dragon AIDS 2 & 3 basically worship the Qunari (medieval Borg), lash out at the Chantry at every opportunity, all but dismiss the Maker as fiction, introduce idiotic new plotlines like Lyrium Titans, Flemeth being an ancient elven goddess, and still fail to offer any plausible explanation for how the Darkspawn and the Blight came to exist.

Oh but wait, the blight is the result of the Tevinter magisters traveling into the Fade!!

Two problems:

1. The idea of physically travelling into a spirit world is retarded and ridiculous. It is also completely unnecessary. The objective of Corypheus et al was to enter the Golden City, located at the "center" of the Fade, but inaccessible via any known "natural" means. In other worlds, they are already trying to enter an inaccessible place. Doing it physically makes no sense, and adds nothing to the challenge of their endeavour. Simply say that the magisters tried to send their souls into the Golden City, but in the process became infected with demonic energy, and when they returned from their trip, they found that their bodies had become twisted as well.

2. Bioware themselves have no idea how all the disparate elements (Golden City, darkspawn, demons, Fade, the Maker, dragon gods, elven gods, Tevinter magisters, etc) all fit together, and there is probably isn't any way to make them fit without making it look like bad fan fiction. Also, the Bioware creative core (as bad as it was) has left long ago, and the company is just an empty shell for an EA division that makes bad and financially unsuccessful games. I doubt anyone at that company gives a flying fuck one way or another.

Also, it's been a decade since the last DLC for Origins, where Morrigan left through a magic mirror into a place beyond the Fade, and it looks like that got retconned and will never get an explanation either. Classic Lost situation, setting up tantalizing mysteries that have no answer, because the authors aren't smart enough to answer them.

Vatnik Wumao
Dragon Age went to shit as a setting when they retconned all major strands of lore (the theology of the Humans, the origins of the Dwarves etc) to be subservient to the Elven one.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Also, it's been a decade since the last DLC for Origins, where Morrigan left through a magic mirror into a place beyond the Fade, and it looks like that got retconned and will never get an explanation either. Classic Lost situation, setting up tantalizing mysteries that have no answer, because the authors aren't smart enough to answer them.
But it did get explained in Inquisition. If you want to complain about these games, that's fine, but don't complain about "plot holes" when the actual problem is that you didn't pay attention during the game.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

But it did get explained in Inquisition. If you want to complain about these games, that's fine, but don't complain about "plot holes" when the actual problem is that you didn't pay attention during the game.
It's not that I didn't pay attention, it's more about the fact that I hated every single aspect of that single-player MMO and quit about 1/4th into it. I read/watched videos the story/lore summary later, and found nothing of value there ("You wanted into the Fade???? Here you go!!"). Feel free to refresh my memory.

cosmicray

Savant
All Battle Royales except PUBG and Fornite were failures, most MMOS except WOW werent all that successful, most HearthStone copies are failures, most all LoL clones are failures, market saturation is a thing and the market isn't infinite, people are talking if those publishers are immune to the diminishing returns rule of competition, they arent.
Indeed. There's finite number of hours per day, so you can't invest your time in several online services at once. But at the same time you can invest your time in several SP games over the course of months.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamesn.com/dragon-age-4/dragon-age-tweet

Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age
dragon-age-4-story-characters-580x334.jpg

Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age.

Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age.

Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age.

Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age.

Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age. Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age Dragon Age.

Dragon Age 4?

:roll:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom