Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age New Dragon Age confirmed

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Infinitron, May 22, 2017.

1. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Don't you ruin my picturesque hyperbole with facts

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. santino27 Arcane Patron

santino27
    I don't think we can declare a king of commercial rpgs until we have properly defined (again) what an RPG is.

Show Spoiler

:troll:

• nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    All games are RPGs because in all games you play a role! :happytrollboy:

• Funny x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dycedarg Educated

Dycedarg
    I wonder what is the purpose of releasing those trailers with so little work done. Are they trying to convince the public that they're still relevant? Or are they trying to convince themselves? Either way it's pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Dycedarg Educated

Dycedarg
    Don't you think those things are kind of related? Bioware thrived when very few studios were making rpgs, leaving them with a captive audience and very little competition. Gamers now have many more options.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    For at least 10 years, every big game has released pointless "teaser" trailers way before there's anything to actually show. I guess the idea is that it gets hype started and gets word spreading about the game.

It's dumb as fuck but it works.

^ Top  
  7. Dycedarg Educated

Dycedarg
    That might explain the Game Awards trailer, but the Gamescom one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acSr9Ki7P_w

Even their fans tore them a new one for that travesty. And in retrospect it looks even worse now that Hudson and Darrah, who were featured prominently in the piece, left Bioware. :lol:

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    It's just another nothingburger teaser with 90ish percent positive ratings.

We're talking about it right now. That's all it was for :lol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Solas looks pretty cool, they should've made him a buff Elf. Still too many spikes.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Blitzkrieg Novice

Blitzkrieg
    This and the new Mass Effect teaser seem like desperate attempts to show that they're still alive. Even though they've released nothing but trash in the last 7 years and all their talent is leaving. Yes I will be buying both because I'm a retarded fanboy.

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    rumour says Casey Hudson bypassed EA's orders and announced DA4 early because he felt that EA may cancel the game. Cancelling the game after it was already announced would look pretty bad.

• [citation needed] x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. pomenitul Savant

pomenitul
    an hero

• Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Blitzkrieg Novice

Blitzkrieg
    Isn't there confirmation that DA4 had already been scrapped once already and this new one is going to focus more on live service? I can't remember exactly where I heard this but it was on a DA news channel.

^ Top  
  14. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    Rumor says that Mark Darrah was supposed to be releasing the game this year and he was let go because of his failure to do so.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    Yes and it sounded okay:

^ Top  
  16. Dycedarg Educated

Dycedarg
    What? This can't be true. The Game Awards trailer didn't feature any gameplay. Hell, the Gamescom trailer didn't have any proper CUTSCENES. There is no way for this thing to come out before 2022, and that may be optimistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    the rumor is from cullens voice actor, who recently had a meltdown over cancel culture or something like that. look it up. anyway, he says that darrah was forced to resign after failing to deliver a product this year. is it true? I dunno

• Informative Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Flying Dutchman Educated

Flying Dutchman
    I'd believe that because the announcement just felt rushed, EA usually puts more effort into marketing crap than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Dycedarg Educated

Dycedarg
    If this is true, then this game is truly going to be a memefest. Darrah and Hudson were two of the last developers at Bioware capable of making a serviceable game. It's going to be fun watching where this project will go without them.

:positive:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Aarwolf Literate

Aarwolf
    All they want is showing the fanbase that they are there and that they still can give them things they know and things they like. So they pack inside companions they know are popular among fans (like Liara, Varrick and so on and so forth) and that screams HEY WE'RE DOING THE SAME! PREORDER OUR GAME.
    Of course it's cargo cult, they don't know what made first Mass Effect or DAO decent games, there are barely any people inside who remember working on them. All they can do is trying to copy and all they will end up with is another Andromeda-tier shit, lifeless husk full of cringy characters and boring sidequests.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Need a source on them being able to make a serviceable game. The last one was ME3, and that was two console generations ago.

^ Top  
  22. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    I haven’t played a BioWare game since ME2, but do they even really make RPGs anymore? My memory of ME2 is that it was a third-person shooter with C&C and lite character progression elements. Did the DA franchise stay closer to its RPG roots?

• No No x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Dycedarg Educated

Dycedarg
    By serviceable I don't mean a game I would actually play, but something like the game that made me finally write off Bioware: Dragon Age Inquisition. Personal opinions aside, Inquisition was both critically acclaimed an financially sucessful. I would never play it, but I'm also pretty sure most Bioware fans would love a new Dragon Age similar to Inquisition. Unfortunately for them the departures of Mark Darrah, Mike Laidlaw, David Gaider and others make it almost impossible for Bioware to produce such a game.

Oh, and them making a good game was never in the cards. That ship has sailed long ago.

^ Top  
  24. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    In mechanics, no.
    In Role Playing, there's a few great crumbs of fun options there - theres an option that allows you to put a handful of villians defeated in chains, haul them off to your base and put them on trial. Fun stuff like this is pretty far and few between though

^ Top  
  25. Flying Dutchman Educated

Flying Dutchman
    I don't think Cullens' voice actor is a reliable source.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.