Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Kojima Game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Is kojima just a jap pervert hack that jews found interesting to bankroll to reach western audiences? Is there anything more to him?
He is a grand bullshiter playing his weaboo fanboys like puppets. A meme Machine. He is like the protagonist from some legendary South Park episode. :salute:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Metal Gear!?

Havent played old MGS, but they look good solely on the ground of gameplay only,a decent stealth action games, whereas ive played MGSV and it was decent solely on environment, atmosphere[80s classics, afghanistan and soviets -COUNT ME IN] and decent stealth/shooting gameplay. The plots are complete schizo garbage[with anti nuclear fetish often].

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Metal Gear!?

Havent played old MGS, but they look good solely on the ground of gameplay only,a decent stealth action games, whereas ive played MGSV and it was decent solely on environment, atmosphere[80s classics, afghanistan and soviets -COUNT ME IN] and decent stealth/shooting gameplay. The plots are complete schizo garbage[with anti nuclear fetish often].
Yeah I didn't play 4 or 5, but he's been pushing the cinematic angle since the first MGS title. That being said, 3 was a fantastic game.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I have a great suspicion that kojima does not design the gameplay mechanics, but is solely relegated to the "story". He might approve or supervise the game mechanics, but the specific design, the ironing, the kinks and all the bells and whistles are left to some more "grounded" people. It's a very disjointed feeling when you have pretty good and grounded game mechanics with these very weird stories, and it definitely feels like one person can't be responsible for both. Maybe my perception of wackoo artists being purely ephemereal and daydreaming souls who do not engage in such mundane things as engaging shooting mechanics is wrong.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Man didn't think twice before jettisoning the voice talent that had been with him from the start (e.g. David Hayter) to cast Kiefer as Big Boss.
Kojima never cared much for David
In fact, Hayter still had to audition for both MGS2 and 4 (he even said that during the latter's casting that the whole thing felt like they were trying to boot him)
He only got the part in 3 because Kurt Russell declined the offer
Kojima simply never cared for MGS english voice cast except when there was a chance for him to work with Hollywood stars - which was what happened in 5
In Japanese voice cast however, the same actor played Snake in every game and in MGS4 it was the voice actor's father that voiced Big Boss

He might approve or supervise the game mechanics, but the specific design, the ironing, the kinks and all the bells and whistles are left to some more "grounded" people.
If he's the one that comes with the design for the gameplay's mechanics, I don't know
However, at least in the case of the MG series, he was the one that did ultimately decide what got into the game and what things needed ironing out
At least according to MGS4 making of documentary, most of his work during that development he spent in his office playing the game's lastest builds, taking notes (on things he liked, disliked, things that could be added, removed and even taking note of bugs) and then getting out of his office to deliver those notes to which ever team was in charge of those particular elements

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
At least according to MGS4 making of documentary, most of his work during that development he spent in his office playing the game's lastest builds, taking notes (on things he liked, disliked, things that could be added, removed and even taking note of bugs) and then getting out of his office to deliver those notes to which ever team was in charge of those particular elements

So pretty much as i said, broad strokes, while leave the intricacies to the other people who deliver ready-made concepts that he then judges on. He himself is very highly abstracted manager/top developer - developer not in the sense of programming, as he doesn't code anything. Compare that to Styg an orchestra man who both code and develop the game and its intricate systems. There's no "top dev" that is insulated from the coding and the mundane inner workings, the brain storming of minutae of gameplay balance.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why would he be concerned with the minutae of the inner workings behind the curtain?
That's the responsibility of the studio's workers
He's the game director, his job is conducting the band to play the music he wants

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Point is, that i feel he is way too high level, too abstracted from anything else in the game beside story. The jarring contrast between grounded gameplay and wacky story points to me that he is not responsible for any deep thinking about gameplay and just accept "good at it is" presented by his underlings. Good thing is he probably does not interfere much in their decisions, but this on the other hand might be the factor why gameplay and story often feel very alien to each other. Im not complaining because even though i don't care about kojima stories, i at least get some serviceable gameplay, while i guess people who dig kojima stories, also get some competent gameplay to sweeten the downsides of the story they perceive. In the end we get pretty enjoyable games.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Point is, that i feel he is way too high level, too abstracted from anything else in the game beside story. The jarring contrast between grounded gameplay and wacky story points to me that he is not responsible for any deep thinking about gameplay and just accept "good at it is" presented by his underlings. Good thing is he probably does not interfere much in their decisions, but this on the other hand might be the factor why gameplay and story often feel very alien to each other. Im not complaining because even though i don't care about kojima stories, i at least get some serviceable gameplay, while i guess people who dig kojima stories, also get some competent gameplay to sweeten the downsides of the story they perceive. In the end we get pretty enjoyable games.
That's funny. I usually find that I enjoyed the gameplay of them and get the most out of ignoring the story elements which are generally batshit.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
The writer for the early MGS games was Tomokazu Fukushima, who worked alongside Kojima. He applied an actual human touch to the stories and tried to give them a coherent narrative and drama. You can sense exactly where the story for this series began to derail once he left the team starting with MGS4, which is when Kojima took more control and his nonsense and fantasies started to dominate.

mediocrepoet

Patron
The writer for the early MGS games was Tomokazu Fukushima, who worked alongside Kojima. He applied an actual human touch to the stories and tried to give them a coherent narrative and drama. You can sense exactly where the story for this series began to derail once he left the team starting with MGS4, which is when Kojima took more control and his nonsense and fantasies started to dominate.

Huh, that's interesting. I actually did try to play MGS4 and bounced off it super hard early on despite really enjoying MGS3.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Metal Gear stories are super retardo. Even if they were good, all the codec conversations and cutscenes interrupt gameplay far too much. Hence the VR missions being the best.

I remember liking the first VR missions better, but it's been a long while. I should replay some day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom