Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Lord of the Rings MMO in development

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems it's been cancelled

Amazon Cancels The Lord of the Rings MMO

Working with Tencent as a partner on the game proved too difficult.

By Matthew Humphries
April 19, 2021
There's few massively multiplayer online (MMO) games that stand a chance of succeeding alongside World of Warcraft and The Elder Scrolls Online, but one carrying The Lord of the Rings name certainly had a chance. However, Amazon just canceled the game after three years of development.

As Reuters reports, the LotR MMO has been in development as a joint venture between Amazon Game Studios and Chinese video game holding company Leyou Technologies Holdings. But in December 2020, Tencent acquired Leyou, which killed development of the game.

In a statement, an Amazon spokesperson explained: "Following Leyou's recent acquisition by Tencent, we have been unable to secure terms to proceed with this title at this time." All existing Amazon Studio employees who were working on the game are being moved to other projects.

The game was first announced by the Leyou-owned published Athlon Games in 2018. At the time, Athlon "signed a long-term licensing agreement with Middle-earth Enterprises to develop and publish a video game based on The Lord of the Rings. Athlon Games is working with a partner developer to create an online game set in the world of Middle-earth at a time long before the events of The Lord of the Rings, exploring lands, people and creatures never seen before by fans of the Tolkien universe." That partner turned out to be Amazon.

The news is a blow for fans of the books and movies, but it's most frustrating for Amazon, which is currently spending $465 million on a The Lord of the Rings TV series. An online game to sit alongside the show would have certainly increased the popularity (and revenue generated) for both.

otteaux

Novice
I'm fine with it being cancelled; it would've been pozzed and trash anyway.

I just picked up LOTRO a few months ago, and I'm really impressed with how faithful and solid the stories are. There's no need for another LOTR online game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom