Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect interview: Cap'n Shepard = Jack Bauer

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
When someone said Jack Bauer facts are just like Chuck Norris facts, Jack hunted down Chuck. When he found him, Chuck roundhoused Jack. Jack shot him in the face, leaving Chuck dead and only a cut on Jack's lip, which he promptly healed with Chuck's tears.

edit-
If Rosa Parks was in Jack Bauer's seat, she'd move to the back of the bus.

Ebondark

Novice
I honestly have to say this is probably the absolute dumbest thread I have ever read. It hurts that I actually had to make an account to point out how retarded this thread is.

I've played RPG's since Zorg through the Gold Box era, through today and the amount of self-righteous bullshit that has been posted kills me.

Ebondark said:
I honestly have to say this is probably the absolute dumbest thread I have ever read. It hurts that I actually had to make an account to point out how retarded this thread is.

I've played RPG's since Zorg through the Gold Box era, through today and the amount of self-righteous bullshit that has been posted kills me.

You registered just to insult us all? I see you've been to the Sheperd school of Extreme, leaving with a PhD in Taking It To The Limit and possibly a Doctorate in Collar Grabbing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good. Hopefully, nobody will go to your funeral as you don't deserve one.

Amasius

Augur
Ebondark said:

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Ebondark

Novice
Admiral jimbob said:
Ebondark said:

You registered just to insult us all? I see you've been to the Sheperd school of Extreme, leaving with a PhD in Taking It To The Limit and possibly a Doctorate in Collar Grabbing.

*chuckle*

Top notch pulling out the same comments that were old 9 pages ago. I've yet to see in this entire thread a point to what modern developers should be building that is valid.

My all time favorite game is Fallout 2 ... will an RPG like it ever be built ... no. That's the reality. Should one like it be built ... no. Sadly a company like Bethesda is picking it up and will fuck it up grossly but that's besides the point.

You actually sit here and bash a game like ME that is built by a group of developers who actually give a sh*t about trying to build an RPG that stands out by experimenting with the limits of technology. The story may not be up your alley but lets face it half of the original RPG's out there started with a crap story (I"m sorry but if you told me Wasteland would lead to FO2 I would have said you were nuts).

Hell I'm glad to see any game out there attempt new things and move us further along. Yes I miss the days of the Silver Blades, the depth of BG2, etc.

But to crap on games the way you guys do just is sad.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ebondark said:
My all time favorite game is Fallout 2 ... will an RPG like it ever be built ... no. That's the reality.
Wow, really? Tell us more about the future, please!

Should one like it be built ... no.
Wait, it's your favourite game, but you don't think that more games like that should be made. Makes sense.

You actually sit here and bash a game like ME that is built by a group of developers who actually give a sh*t about trying to build an RPG that stands out by experimenting with the limits of technology.
Give a shit about what? Making a retarded game featuring the most idiotic character ever created? Lines like "if he is a good guy then why is he fighting? hmm?!" are beyond stupid.

Anyway, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Ebondark

Novice

WTF is that supposed to mean?

Wait, it's your favourite game, but you don't think that more games like that should be made. Makes sense.

Why don't you think about why I might say that (but your smug self-righteous crap can't allow it can it).

Turn based RPG games are dead. Simple as that. Release a turn based RPG and it will flop. That's the reality. You can't do it.

You can make a spiritual successor to it. Hell use the world and the whole works but not a game that is turn based. As hard as it is for me to admit that style is just as dead as the text based Zorg games or the old dungeon crawler pixel gold box games. Not coming back.

It makes me cry to see that Bethesda is going to try and pick FO3 up. They'll ruin the entire atmosphere with their sandbox style.

Give a shit about what? Making a retarded game featuring the most idiotic character ever created? Lines like "if he is a good guy then why is he fighting? hmm?!" are beyond stupid.

Anyway, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

And here's the cruxt of it. Where's your genius idea for a replacement ... let me guess "Oh anything anything will be better."

I can take one of the numerous bashing responses and throw it at nearly any idea you can bring to the table. Personally I applaud their creativity. Never watched 24 so I have no idea if I'll like Jack Bauer's character or not and frankly I don't give a shit.

I love the concept of a team working on a game where as you move through the dialogue system character faces will change and adjust and they will physically move based on your choices.

Instead of considering what doors that opens for us you just bash it.

What are your creative ideas. What do you bring to improve the RPG gaming world?

Oh that's right you don't you just bitch and bitch and bitch.

EDIT: Corrected a statement so it was even more clear that I"m talking about turnbased RPG's

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
VD is the last one who should be bashing others for liking ME. VD *loves* ME. In fact, he's obssessed with it. On top of that, comparing Commander Shepard to Jack Bauer woudl likely increase sales for ME if the mainstream got hold of it considering how popular 24 and Jack Bauer actually is.

R00fles!

Joff1981

Educated
Project: Eternity
I guess I'll be the one to point you to Vault Dwellers very own game, Age Of Decadence. Now what do you bring to RPGs except bitching and whining?

EDIT: Damnit Jimbob!

Ebondark

Novice
merry andrew said:
Ebondark said:
Turn based games are dead. Simple as that.
If turn based games are dead, then why was Civilization IV crowned Game of the Year for 2005?

Civ IV is an RPG?

As for Age of Decadence ... *flop* *cough* ... hate to tell you but it's a prime example of why you can't do FO2 ... and yes it's a FO2 rehash same fucking plot. Post apocolyptic world many options. Tons of relics ... blah blah blah.

Sorry to tell you but I guarantee it won't make 1/1000th of what ME will.

;)

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
merry andrew said:
Ebondark said:
Turn based games are dead. Simple as that.
If turn based games are dead, then why was Civilization IV crowned Game of the Year for 2005?

It was kinda crap though, to be honest..

Fez

Erudite
In the indie scene Vogel has done rather well out of his games too.

I know plenty "casual" gamers who will play Civ but won't play DoW and the like and have no interest in real time micro-obsessive RTS games. I think it's because they can have a few turns, save and go back to work or play it while doing other things. It's altogether more leisurely.

Kraszu

Prophet
Ebondark if people want to buy and play tb strategy games it means that tb is not dead, and many of them play crpg also. Total war is decent connection of tb and rts, I would like to see more complex tb part of the game through, or maybe have it all rts w/p but have your cities progress and you just set taxes military factories, something like simcity but even more automated, you want to make metro in city computer calculate the cost and you decide if you want it to be done. You just build town and people make houses near other houses, placement for police department/roads[...] are left. You would have time slider (decide haw fast time to go by) so in times of war you could be focus on what happen at front and your units would not be change from catapults to tanks in war that took 30minutes of real time.

Ebondark

Novice
Fez said:
In the indie scene Vogel has done rather well out of his games too.

I know plenty "casual" gamers who will play Civ but won't play DoW and the like and have no interest in real time micro-obsessive RTS games. I think it's because they can have a few turns, save and go back to work or play it while doing other things. It's altogether more leisurely.

One thing I should of clarified is Turn based RPG's are dead. That should have been clarified on my part. RTS's will still continue to do fine for quite a while as turn based IMHO.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Ebondark said:
As for Age of Decadence ... *flop* *cough*

Sorry to tell you but I guarantee it won't make 1/1000th of what ME will.

;)

Wow, someone give this guy a frickin' medal! Yes, ofcourse Vault Dweller and his gang were thinking that as an indie dev company they would sell a bajillion copies. Thank God we have people like you that can put people in their place.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Although the Total War series seems to have been dumbed down slightly as its popularity has grown over the years, I still think that Medieval 2: Total War is the current King of the genre.

suibhne

Erudite
Ebondark said:
RTS's will still continue to do fine for quite a while as turn based IMHO.

This is low-hanging fruit, but I'm not too proud: Ebon, "RTS" stands for "REAL TIME Strategy". Those can't be turn-based - it's kinda definitional. :wink:

As for turn-based RPGs...most of the RPG market is turn-based.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ebondark said:

WTF is that supposed to mean?
Didn't you claim that a game like that will never be made again? That implies a strong familiarity with the future, does it not?

Turn based games are dead. Simple as that. Release a turn based RPG and it will flop. That's the reality. You can't do it.
Really? How interesting. I learn something from you with every post. I wonder though, is it just turn-based combat or the combination of TB and RPG that ensures the flop? You must quickly write a letter to Civilization, HoMM, Silent Storm developers and every Japanese company stupid enough to make successful turn-based games.

It makes me cry to see that Bethesda is going to try and pick FO3 up. They'll ruin the entire atmosphere with their sandbox style.
Start a blog.

And here's the cruxt of it. Where's your genius idea for a replacement ... let me guess "Oh anything anything will be better."
Sure looks like it.

What are your creative ideas. What do you bring to improve the RPG gaming world?

Oh that's right you don't you just bitch and bitch and bitch.
I guess I'm not very creative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom