Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect interview: Cap'n Shepard = Jack Bauer

Ebondark

Novice
Kingston said:
Ebondark said:
As for Age of Decadence ... *flop* *cough*

Sorry to tell you but I guarantee it won't make 1/1000th of what ME will.

;)

Wow, someone give this guy a frickin' medal! Yes, ofcourse Vault Dweller and his gang were thinking that as an indie dev company they would sell a bajillion copies. Thank God we have people like you that can put people in their place.

And that's my damn point. It's real easy for people to bash other peoples games out there but guess what they are moving copies and are adding new tech. I hate to say this but for an 'indie' developer to sit there and hold Age of Decadence (a clear rehash of FO plot line with an antiquetted game engine).

Hell I'ld applaud VD if wasn't for the fact that he's sitting on some fucking high horse bashing the plot line and story of ME and yet tell me what is he presenting as his crowning achievement:

Q: What's the theme of the story?
A: There are several themes. One is exploration of a post-apocalyptic world: crumbling towns, devastated areas, abandoned facilities, lost knowledge and purpose, powerful relics of another age, and a new society, no longer bound by the artificial rules of civilized worlds.

Holy crap lets sit here and bash Bioware for what he views as a piss poor character design that is a rehash of a million other stories then he turns around and does the same damn thing.

Wow I'm really impressed by that ... oh what's the term ... hypocrocy.

Personally he should back off Bioware (who are pushing the envolope of techonology) and then I'ld applaud his attempts on his indie game.

EDIT: And yes name the last major Turn Based RPG. It's dead and dying. JRPG's I guess you can bring those into the picture but I'm fairly comfortable in saying that they are a completely different beast from a BG, ToEE, etc. or other Western style RPGs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
VD is the last one who should be bashing others for liking ME. VD *loves* ME. In fact, he's obssessed with it. On top of that, comparing Commander Shepard to Jack Bauer woudl likely increase sales for ME if the mainstream got hold of it considering how popular 24 and Jack Bauer actually is.

R00fles!
A) I'm not obssessed with it, and B) I didn't compare Shepard to Bauer, Casey did.

Ebondark said:
merry andrew said:
Ebondark said:
Turn based games are dead. Simple as that.
If turn based games are dead, then why was Civilization IV crowned Game of the Year for 2005?

Civ IV is an RPG?

As for Age of Decadence ... *flop* *cough* ... hate to tell you but it's a prime example of why you can't do FO2 ... and yes it's a FO2 rehash same fucking plot. Post apocolyptic world many options. Tons of relics ... blah blah blah.
Same fucking plot? Because it's a post-apocalyptic game? The mind boggles.

;)
So a good rpg simply MUST sell a lot. That's one of the requirements?

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Ebondark said:
Wow I'm really impressed by that ... oh what's the term ... hypocrocy.
Wow, I'm really impressed by your ability to - oh, what's the term...? Ah, yes, mangle the English language.

Go back to wherever you came from, you illiterate moron.

Btw, VD, you should make a creature called a "hypocrocy" for AoD. A cross between a hippo and crocodile - kind of like mixing Leviathon and Behemoth. That'd be super-cool.

merry andrew

Erudite
Ebondark said:
It's real easy for people to bash other peoples games out there but guess what they are moving copies and are adding new tech.
Yeah, like inner-city drug dealers. You gotta give them credit where credit is due.

I hate to say this but for an 'indie' developer to sit there and hold Age of Decadence (a clear rehash of FO plot line with an antiquetted game engine).
It's true. In Fallout, you exit the vault to find the water chip. In AoD, you exit the rubble to find the water. That is pretty lame.

A: There are several themes. One is exploration of a post-apocalyptic world: crumbling towns, devastated areas, abandoned facilities, lost knowledge and purpose, powerful relics of another age, and a new society, no longer bound by the artificial rules of civilized worlds.
AoD borrows from Mass Effect, too:
You are Commander Shepard, a tough and experienced soldier who is in line to be the first human Spectre. As a Spectre, you will be charged with the most important and difficult missions in the galaxy: uncovering and terminating the greatest threats to galactic security. What you discover at the beginning of the game reveals something more terrifying than ever expected, the essence of which is described like this:

"Among those who study ancient alien ruins, a horrific legend is told: that every 50,000 years a gate opens in space, and a race of machines pours through—harvesting organic civilizations and all that they have created. It is the year 2183. The gate is about to open … "

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ebondark said:
Hell I'ld applaud VD if wasn't for the fact that he's sitting on some fucking high horse bashing the plot line and story of ME and yet tell me what is he presenting as his crowning achievement:

Holy crap lets sit here and bash Bioware for what he views as a piss poor character design that is a rehash of a million other stories then he turns around and does the same damn thing.
Do you understand what "theme" means and how it's different from "plot"? Also, "piss poor character design" and "story" are two different things as well. Just sayin'

Personally he should back off Bioware (who are pushing the envolope of techonology) and then I'ld applaud his attempts on his indie game.
It's ok, I'll manage without your support.

EDIT: And yes name the last major Turn Based RPG.
Now it has to be major?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Damnit VD, you can't really argue with merry. Your crappy game is just a shitty ripoff. Lame. LAME.

Ebondark

Novice

Awww someone can dish it out but can't take it.

You take snippets of Dev posts and then bash their whole game and someone does it to you and you cry like a little gir.

Hypocrite.

A good RPG is one that hits it target audience and when they are done they enjoy it. Do I like the Final Fantasy series ... to be honest not really but do I bash them. No not really they are a good RPG.

ME is going to hit it's target audience. It's going to tell the story that their team wants to present. Bioware gets to bring the story they wanted to bring to the table in their own unique universe.

Good for them. Personally I dig it.

What do you bring to the table ... oh that's right you just like to bash thier shit and hold your shit up on a platter.

I'll again say it. If it wasn't for your bashing of them I'ld have a hell of a lot of respect for you but bashing the work of a whole other development team when you bring nothing better to the table is just crap.

You remind me of the old main-framers I work with. Stuck in the past and can't let it go. They try and make J2EE/Application Teams/etc. develop in their archaic style. Times moved on and left them behind.

MacBone

Scholar
Ebondark said:
You actually sit here and bash a game like ME that is built by a group of developers who actually give a sh*t about trying to build an RPG that stands out by experimenting with the limits of technology.
You're awfully hung up on tech, Ebon. Tell me, is your favorite part of a movie the special effects?

Ebondark said:
Hell I'm glad to see any game out there attempt new things and move us further along. Yes I miss the days of the Silver Blades, the depth of BG2, etc.
Even if the movement's in the wrong direction?

Ebondark said:
But to crap on games the way you guys do just is sad.
You, sir, are the hypocrite.

Ebondark

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
EDIT: And yes name the last major Turn Based RPG.
Now it has to be major?

Nope.

Because you can produce crap games and say 'Voila the industry is still there' but nope sorry it isn't.

Take Leisure Suit Larry for example. I'll say that style of game is dead. You could argue that no it isn't and point to LSL recent release as that style still being alive and well.

I'ld point to the recent killing of their latest project as proof that not enough people want to buy that type of game anymore to keep it around.

We still have mainframe developers around here and they still do work but guess what it's getting slowly but surely pushed out the door and it won't be coming back.

merry andrew

Erudite
Ebondark said:
I'll again say it. If it wasn't for your bashing of them I'ld have a hell of a lot of respect for you but bashing the work of a whole other development team when you bring nothing better to the table is just crap.
BURN!

Ebondark

Novice
MacBone said:
Ebondark said:
You actually sit here and bash a game like ME that is built by a group of developers who actually give a sh*t about trying to build an RPG that stands out by experimenting with the limits of technology.
You're awfully hung up on tech, Ebon. Tell me, is your favorite part of a movie the special effects?

Nope but good try ;)

Ebondark said:
Hell I'm glad to see any game out there attempt new things and move us further along. Yes I miss the days of the Silver Blades, the depth of BG2, etc.
Even if the movement's in the wrong direction?

And who gets to decide that? You? RPG Codex? Guess what the mass populous decides. You can dislike it all you want but that's the reality of it.

Ebondark said:
But to crap on games the way you guys do just is sad.
You, sir, are the hypocrite.

*chuckle*

I've been waiting for this one. In a sense yes I am but unfortunately there is almost no other way to prove the hypocricy of VD specifically then to bash what he has built, show him that it's rude, and in that acceptence move on.

Frankly I'ld prefer have read a funny little fake interview and not have cared but when I read this thread and read the level of bashing that went on I was disguisted.

EDIT: Hell I'll even nut up and apologize if you can admit that the bashing of Bioware's new ME was taken a bit too far in this thread. Hell it was taken WAY to far.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ebondark said:
You take snippets of Dev posts and then bash their whole game and someone does it to you and you cry like a little gir.
Cry like a girl? Are you hallucinating?

ME is going to hit it's target audience.
I have no doubt of that.

What do you bring to the table ... oh that's right you just like to bash thier shit and hold your shit up on a platter.

If you say so.

MacBone

Scholar
Ebondark said:
So, tell us about the game you're working on, kid.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Ebondark said:
merry andrew said:
Ebondark said:
Turn based games are dead. Simple as that.
If turn based games are dead, then why was Civilization IV crowned Game of the Year for 2005?

Civ IV is an RPG?

As for Age of Decadence ... *flop* *cough* ... hate to tell you but it's a prime example of why you can't do FO2 ... and yes it's a FO2 rehash same fucking plot. Post apocolyptic world many options. Tons of relics ... blah blah blah.

Hey, come on VD, I'm not buying if it doesn't have a friggin' water chip or G.E.C.K. to find!! I don't like being misled, so please confirm this ASAP. :evil:

Vault Dweller said:

;)

Of course, what other objective metrics could be used to measure whether a game is any good FFS! You're such a n00b VD! :roll:

@Ebondark - welcome to the site, always good to see new members who have some good sense about these things and are able to express themselves... please do stick around because this is all just too bloody funny. :D

Ebondark

Novice
MacBone said:
Ebondark said:
So, tell us about the game you're working on, kid.

*points to above post*

I've admitted what I'm doing. I'm purposefully doing EXACTLY what I watched half the posters in this thread do and none of you like it. Not a damn one. Every bit of my bashing of Age of Decadence bothered the shit out of you and probably caused you to go 'Man that's just not fair what the hell does this guy know'.

That's exactly what this thread has done to ME.

merry andrew

Erudite
Ebondark said:
I'm purposefully doing EXACTLY what I watched half the posters in this thread do and none of you like it.
The thing is, you're not doing exactly what's being done in this thread.

Ebondark

Novice
merry andrew said:
Ebondark said:
I'm purposefully doing EXACTLY what I watched half the posters in this thread do and none of you like it.
The thing is, you're not doing exactly what's being done in this thread.

Oh yeah that's right becuase in this thread we are all supposed to group think and bash together ... damn ok I didn't do that one.

Should I photoshop some pictures of Age of Decodence? Should I sit there and over use a term over and over (I've been trying with Hypocricy like you guys are doing with Extreme ... rawwwwrrrrrr ... I'm an internet tough guy ... rawrrrrrr).

It's not so fun being on the recieving end.

merry andrew

Erudite
Ebondark said:
Should I photoshop some pictures of Age of Decodence?
Yes! Please! Seriously. Do it. PERIOD.

Should I sit there and over use a term over and over (I've been trying with Hypocricy like you guys are doing with Extreme ... rawwwwrrrrrr ... I'm an internet tough guy ... rawrrrrrr).
Well, the "extreme" is being repeated because it was used in their PR campaign. You're repeating "hypocricy" because you don't have a very solid argument.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ebondark said:
Every bit of my bashing of Age of Decadence bothered the shit out of you and probably caused you to go 'Man that's just not fair what the hell does this guy know'.
No, to be quite honest, it caused us to think that you are stupid. If you want to criticize AoD, be my guest. It's the Codex. The game has been criticized so many times, I've lost count, and frankly, I'm perfectly ok with criticism.

As for this ME business, the criticism is JUSTIFIED - a new word for you. You may disagree with our reasons, but you can't pretend that these reasons are made up.

suibhne

Erudite
Ebon, it was a parody. If it makes you feel better, think of it as skewering Casey's puerile PR rather than the game itself; after all, Bio has done itself no service by employing such a hyperbolic huckster. I was somewhat interested in ME until I read a few interviews with Casey Hudson.

As for turn-based stuff...first you said turn-based games are dead, and someone called you on that; then you excepted turn-based real-time strategy games, and someone called you on that; then you said that JRPGs don't count as turn-based RPGs, which I won't even bother calling you on. (Oblivion isn't an RPG, either - nor, probably, is Mass Effect. As far as the market is concerned, tho, most "RPGs" are turn-based.)

Ebondark

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Ebondark said:
Every bit of my bashing of Age of Decadence bothered the shit out of you and probably caused you to go 'Man that's just not fair what the hell does this guy know'.
No, to be quite honest, it caused us to think that you are stupid. If you want to criticize AoD, be my guest. It's the Codex. The game has been criticized so many times, I've lost count, and frankly, I'm perfectly ok with criticism.

As for this ME business, the criticism is JUSTIFIED - a new word for you. You may disagree with our reasons, but you can't pretend that these reasons are made up.

Why because your reasons are the correct one. Because everyone needs to march bootstep with your vision?

Becuase in essence if it's not YOUR rpg it's crap? Oh fuck thanks for clearing that one up oh great creative genius. I'll be sure to hop aboard the VD knows how games should be made train.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom