Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New news posters? I approve.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Really, RPGCodex should never be a one's show. Not saying VD did a bad job at it, and I'm certainly not backing people who think asinine posts should be given all chance of exposure, but different voices just add more to a site.

On a related note, I donated and want my ads removed. And if I could have the special title of "20's Style Optimist", that be great. If not, you can keep the patron tag.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was about to start a thread in order to thank Jarl and Monolith. Good work guys, that's actualy how real civil societies should work - instead of bullshiting, ranting and waiting for the one big man at the top to run the show, just take the work in your own hands and do something useful.

Maybe that could be a new concept for the codex? More "web 2.0", user contributed content (though still selected and admin approved) ?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Agreed. VD's "resignation" was a shock, but that new people step up to keep the Codex going is gives me hope.
Anyway, I believe Calis already suggested that anyone can contribute articles and they'll be put up if they're of good quality, and there's the "Sumbit" button to suggest news, although I'm not sure what the chances of it being read are, given that the destination address is proverbius@rpgcodex.com.

Calis

Pensionado
Claw said:
I'm not sure what the chances of it being read are, given that the destination address is proverbius@rpgcodex.com.
Maybe DarkUnderlord's "contact us!" script (which posts to a private forum - readable by newsies, perhaps?) could be put in place of that link.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm just glad the chaos and e-drama are over and the site is back on the right tracks.
I don't remember VD saying he's permanently quitting, so maybe he will be back one day. In the mean time I trust the new news posters will keep the site alive.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
There I was thinking that most of the news posters apart from VD just couldn't be bothered. A bit of new blood doesn't hurt though, and Monolith and JarlFrank seem to be doing a pretty good job. Now get rid of idiot mods like POOPER and KC and this place might actually improve a lot.

elander_

Arbiter
Yes the Codex can be very useful to the gaming community by providing reviews and posting news/interviews about commercial and indie crpgs. This site was started by a group coming from another crpg site who wanted to have their own place (if i understood correctly). They had their own style and had some good laughs. You have your own style and you should follow what you think is the right direction for these forums and the news.

Personally i would like to see the Codex do something more closer to what NMA did. More articles and less bias in the news. This will motivate people to post what they truly think instead of just reading the quotes and following the tone of the news poster to fit in.

NiM82

Prophet
I'd rather the news posters just said what they thought, bias and all. Whilst I enjoy the articles/news items on NMA, their attempts to appear neutral on touchy subjects are painfully obvious at times. I'm not saying everyone should do a VD, but if they are that way inclined, I see no reason for them to censor themselves in some vain attempt to gain credibility. People will go with the flow of the first post (probably a critique by the newsposter anyway) in the event of the original item being neutral; I don't think it would change anything in terms of improving the tone of discussions tbh.

The new posters seem to be doing a good job so far.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Calis said:
Claw said:
I'm not sure what the chances of it being read are, given that the destination address is proverbius@rpgcodex.com.
Maybe DarkUnderlord's "contact us!" script (which posts to a private forum - readable by newsies, perhaps?) could be put in place of that link.
Yes, do that, please. I and others might actually start contributing news, even if we don't want a continued engagement.

Also, make it so that when articles are up, there's a news item about them. Sometimes I only find out about Codex' articles when I read the Watch.

Krafter

Scholar
Monolith and JarlFrank, nice job. :)

I agree with Nim82. Please, say what you think, news guys. We've got the other 99% of game sites to go to if we want canned commentary, you know?

MetalCraze

Arcane
I just hope JarlFrank and Monolith will keep the news flow and won't burn out. Because right now codex became more active with them.

I do agree with some posters here that you must say your opinion. This is codex - you must be biased. So JF and Monolith - do what the people want.

roshan

Arcane
elander_ said:
Yes the Codex can be very useful to the gaming community by providing reviews and posting news/interviews about commercial and indie crpgs. This site was started by a group coming from another crpg site who wanted to have their own place (if i understood correctly). They had their own style and had some good laughs. You have your own style and you should follow what you think is the right direction for these forums and the news.

Personally i would like to see the Codex do something more closer to what NMA did. More articles and less bias in the news. This will motivate people to post what they truly think instead of just reading the quotes and following the tone of the news poster to fit in.

I disagree - the Codex should stay the same way. I dislike websites that try to maintain an artificial neutrality - there's enough political correctness in the real world, I'd rather not visit websites that practice it as well. I don't find the news reports in NMA interesting at all. I want to read things from the perspective of a hardcore roleplayer. That's why I would come here to the Codex to read Vault Dweller's news. That true RPGer perspective, and the lack of political correctness is what separates the Codex from all the shitty game sites out there.

In fact, I don't want just bias in the news postings, I want outright bigotry. That would be very interesting to read.

Cassidy

Arcane
roshan said:
elander_ said:

I disagree - the Codex should stay the same way. I dislike websites that try to maintain an artificial neutrality - there's enough political correctness in the real world, I'd rather not visit websites that practice it as well. I don't find the news reports in NMA interesting at all. I want to read things from the perspective of a hardcore roleplayer. That's why I would come here to the Codex to read Vault Dweller's news. That true RPGer perspective, and the lack of political correctness is what separates the Codex from all the shitty game sites out there.

In fact, I don't want just bias in the news postings, I want outright bigotry. That would be very interesting to read.

I agree, and considering examples as evidences, the best arguments against enforced "neutrality" are the examples of Wikipedia and of the Mass Media "neutrality". My favorite sites for news are those who outrightly claim and show proudly their bias instead of hiding it.

Monolith

Prophet
Thanks guys. I don't intend to burn out quickly. Right now it's fun. I was hanging around on the Codex all day anyway, that way I can at least do something productive. And more importantly: I have an excuse for being around. Add to that that I might learn a lot about writing, online research and have to expose myself to criticism (which is always a good thing) then this really becomes a win-win situation.

About style and whatever, right now I'm trying to get into it and I'm basically trying to be me. If I fit the Codex then fine, if not then you'll probably let me know.

@DU
Where is that private forum for newsies? Did I miss something?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey Monolith, would you know how I can submit a review? I tried to do it by "Submit Content", but somehow it didn't show up afterwards. Anyone who could give me a hint on that would be really helpful.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Dunno. I'll ask Calis once he's online.

On that occasion I can also ask how to implement screenshots into a review.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Upload them via FTP (or ask Calis to do it). Then you can access them through the Screenshots Management link (scroll all the way down to see it). Then insert HTML links into a review. If you don't know how, I can show you. Or click the edit button on one of my reviews and see how I did it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Vault Dweller said:
Upload them via FTP (or ask Calis to do it). Then you can access them through the Screenshots Management link (scroll all the way down to see it). Then insert HTML links into a review. If you don't know how, I can show you. Or click the edit button on one of my reviews and see how I did it.

How can I upload them via FTP?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You need access. Talk to Calis about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom