Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information New Shadowrun Returns Screenshots and Info at Game Informer

Snerf

Learned
I just can't get past the cartoony art style. Hate it. It looks like a super nintendo game. Much, much prefer the Wasteland screens I've seen so far.

Severian Silk

Wow! This game is coming along better than I expected. The art is pretty, too!

hiver

Looks better than Wasteland 2 so far.
I didnt back them but it certainly seems like something i may throw some money onto down the line.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I liked the varying difficulties in earlier editions. They added a bit more of depth, I think.
I think it's kinda superfluous for a dice pool system...You can already handle difficulty through increasing/decreasing number of hits required to pass the test or the amount of dice rolled. It's already more depth than a percentile system for example, where you can only mess with the flat % of success.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I was suspicious of the cartoon-style models before but hot damn if they don't fit in well in the levels! Looks very nice.

Having played all editions of SR, I can say with utter confidence that anyone who complains about excessive dice rolling or too much complexity in SR - especially 4th edition - is a brainless faggot of the worst kind and should be treated as a Biowhore.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Poor Chris Avellone. Well, he is a Biowhore. :P

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Ulminati, you better create all those runs. I foresee plenty of fantastic LPs in the Playground after this puppy comes out. :)

Wonder how long until someone remakes SNES Shadowrun in Returns?
Probably not long...according to the magazine scans the SNES Shadowrun MC is an NPC in Shadowrun Returns so they even already have the model ready there.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ulminati, you better create all those runs. I foresee plenty of fantastic LPs in the Playground after this puppy comes out. :)

It really depends on how AWESOME the editor is. If it's like the NWN1 toolset, then I'll probably go ahead and do it. If it's some horrid, unintuitive, bloated mess then buggr it.

That said, the BROs at dumpshock deem pretty pumped about SRR too. So there's a bajillion SR GMs there who may be interested in making custom runs too.
Wanna bet one of the first major campaigns to be released is a remake of Harlequin?

Alex

Arcane
I liked the varying difficulties in earlier editions. They added a bit more of depth, I think.
I think it's kinda superfluous for a dice pool system...You can already handle difficulty through increasing/decreasing number of hits required to pass the test or the amount of dice rolled. It's already more depth than a percentile system for example, where you can only mess with the flat % of success.

Well, I dunno. By having the difficulty and the target number as separate variables, you can have some kinds of action give you bonus dice while others reduce the difficulty of the action itself. I think it is a kinda cool to make the situation matter. Like, in Shadowrun, the number of successes you obtain determines how effective you are.The number of dice is determined by how competent you are. And the action's TN is determined by how hard it is. So you can influence a roll in three different ways: You can try to increase your own capacity, you can try to manipulate the situation so you can make do with less successes, or you can try to obtain some advantage to make the action easier. What is fun about this is that, depending on the circumstances, different approaches will work better. If the action's difficulty is too low, or too high, it might not make much of a difference to reduce it by a few points. On the other hand,, lowering TN 4 to TN 2 will greatly increase the number of successes you can expect.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought the concept screens looked cool. I hope they put in recognizable mechanics from the tabletop game but either way the art reminds me a bit of the stuff from the 2nd edition of the tabletop game, including the cover of the main rulebook. (Or at least, not having them to look at side by side, my memories of the cover.)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I thought the concept screens looked cool. I hope they put in recognizable mechanics from the tabletop game but either way the art reminds me a bit of the stuff from the 2nd edition of the tabletop game, including the cover of the main rulebook. (Or at least, not having them to look at side by side, my memories of the cover.)

9570.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If they just port over SR4 rules 1:1 and make it turnbased I'll cream my pants so hard they'll require new and previously unthought-off industries to dispose of safely.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If they just port over SR4 rules 1:1 and make it turnbased I'll cream my pants so hard they'll require new and previously unthought-off industries to dispose of safely.

It is already turn-based.

As for stats/skills....... that I am biting my fingernails over.

mediocrepoet

Patron
They haven't said anything about the system, eh? I haven't been following this very closely even though I pledged.

I was happy when they said something about chargen which looks to include the various races. Hopefully they'll have options for adepts and such as well as the mages, shamans and various cybernetic characters. I think I recall them saying something about it, but like I say, haven't been watching all that closely other than to note that they don't seem to have run away with the money I gave them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Read the magazine scans somebody posted earlier on the thread:

Well, I dunno. By having the difficulty and the target number as separate variables, you can have some kinds of action give you bonus dice while others reduce the difficulty of the action itself. I think it is a kinda cool to make the situation matter. Like, in Shadowrun, the number of successes you obtain determines how effective you are.The number of dice is determined by how competent you are. And the action's TN is determined by how hard it is. So you can influence a roll in three different ways: You can try to increase your own capacity, you can try to manipulate the situation so you can make do with less successes, or you can try to obtain some advantage to make the action easier. What is fun about this is that, depending on the circumstances, different approaches will work better. If the action's difficulty is too low, or too high, it might not make much of a difference to reduce it by a few points. On the other hand,, lowering TN 4 to TN 2 will greatly increase the number of successes you can expect.
I see.

It's not exactly 1:1

mediocrepoet

Patron
Read the magazine scans somebody posted earlier on the thread.

Ah thanks.

I hope it feels Shadowrun-ish. I actually wouldn't want them to use a 1:1 of 2nd edition anyway, I'm only vaguely familiar with 3rd edition and not at all with 4th edition. But the idea of the near-infinite damage soaking heavily armoured troll doesn't really bring back great memories. ;)

Sounds fairly cool so far, hopefully they'll release some specifics of their skill or resolution systems and chargen.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Near-infinite damage soaking heavily armoured trolls exists in all the editions. There's no escape from him! He's also my favourite sort of NPC to throw at cocky players.

It really depends on how AWESOME the editor is. If it's like the NWN1 toolset, then I'll probably go ahead and do it. If it's some horrid, unintuitive, bloated mess then buggr it.

That said, the BROs at dumpshock deem pretty pumped about SRR too. So there's a bajillion SR GMs there who may be interested in making custom runs too.
Wanna bet one of the first major campaigns to be released is a remake of Harlequin?
Yeah, hopefully it's more like NWN1 than NWN2. And hey, as long as the editor is decent, we'll have loads of stuff to play even if the OC Seattle/Berlin scenarios are shit. Heck, just transferring the 3rd and 4th edition ready-to-play runs would give dozens of hours of playing.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
When in the other thread I said this is the game I am most anticipating (due to the good information policy and the clear, realistic goals) I didn't realize this thread existed.
Now that I've seen it it just reaffirms what I wrote. I think we have a winner here. Let's hope.

Edit: forgot to add

:takemymoney:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom