Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information New Shadowrun Returns Screenshots and Info at Game Informer

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
When they finally have solid info on Stats/Skill system..... THEN we can rejoice.... or bitch.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well that is the least of my worries with this game. I don't know how they would screw up something that already comes done like that.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
7. Eventhough you may only create one character at the beginning of Shadowrun, it will be possible to recruit other shadowrunners during the game. During combat, the player will control all members of his party (they will not be managed by AI).​
I was waiting to hear about this. Now it just raises more questions. How will recruitment be handled? Will there be mercenaries you just have to pay? Will there be people you need to convince to join you (either skill checks or quests)? If there are mercenaries what will upkeep costs be like?

likaq

Arcane
Hi Everyone!

As you may know, Game Informer magazine did a big article about us in their February issue. For those of you who didn’t see it, here’s the art from the article. Please note that these images are not in-game screenshots. They’re concept pieces assembled from real game assets and posed characters. Hope you like them!

http://harebrained-schemes.com/

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know how they would screw up something that already comes done like that.
By not making enough changes to properly adapt it as a computer game. See my last quote.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi Everyone!

As you may know, Game Informer magazine did a big article about us in their February issue. For those of you who didn’t see it, here’s the art from the article. Please note that these images are not in-game screenshots. They’re concept pieces assembled from real game assets and posed characters. Hope you like them!

http://harebrained-schemes.com/

When Eternity and WL2 opt to show WIPs, Shadowrun makes fakes of "how it should look" in the end, and not coincidentally is then praised for its look compared to WL2.

People gonna people.
Dumb gonna dumb.

:rpgcodex:

Blasterhead

Educated
Well, to be fair, to the best of my recollection the first 'screenshots' for Eternity and WL2 weren't in-game either. They were both just showing off assets in order to give people an idea of what they were going for and get some hype going.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Eternity did a mock-up too, yes, but then started showing pure WIPs. WL2 never did, they just threw some assets in an area and took an in-engine screenshot, with no post tricks added. It's effects added that make the difference so stark.

I'm not blaming the Shadowrun guys, they're avoiding a lot of whining by just showing what the game "should" look like, but comparing it to WL2 or Eternity's WIP screenies makes no real sense.

It should soon be academic anyway, the WL2 video - while still WIP - should look significantly more finished than the WIPs we've seen so far.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Have you guys already realized that those pictures are concept artworks and not actual ingame screenshots? You can easily see that by the painted characters. The thread title is a little confusing. I am sure the style of the characters will (hopefully) be less cartoony as soon as we get real screenshots.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Have you guys already realized that those pictures are concept artworks and not actual in game screenshots? You can easily see that by the painted characters. The thread title is a little confusing. I am sure the style of the characters will (hopefully) be less cartoony as soon as we get real screenshots.

Didn´t they say the images were mockups, but used in game assets? Probably just put a bunch of stuff together in the editor and tooks some screenshots with added characters.

Snerf

Learned
Can someone explain to me why these super nintendo screen mockups are getting such adoration here while the wasteland2 stuff is so heavily panned? Is it because I never played shadowrun and these type of cartoony/exaggerated visuals are tradition?

I really don't understand. Given the choice, I'd take somewhat plastic-y army men realism over WoW/Torchlight/this stuff any day.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Can someone explain to me why these super nintendo screen mockups are getting such adoration here while the wasteland2 stuff is so heavily panned? Is it because I never played shadowrun and these type of cartoony/exaggerated visuals are tradition?

I really don't understand. Given the choice, I'd take somewhat plastic-y army men realism over WoW/Torchlight/this stuff any day.

People here enjoy 2D isometric RPG´s, 3D on the other hand almost always looks like crap. And by the way, what do these screens have in common with WoW or Torchlight? Heck, those 2 aren´t even anything alike.

hiver

You first need to understand this isnt WoW/Torchlight stuff you dumb newfag.

/
Educated? Really mods... this is educated these days?
How about still in elementary school? How about first grade?

Snerf

Learned
It looks cartoony, wow/torchlight looks cartoony. Thus the comparison.

I like 2d isometric too, but not if it means styling those assets like this. I don't give a shit if it makes me look like a newfag, there's nothing wrong with the Infinity engine approach of taking 3d backgrounds and rendering them out in 2d with after-effects added. Or in the case of wasteland2, using a 3d engine but focusing on an angled camera.

hiver

It looks cartoony, wow/torchlight looks cartoony. Thus the comparison.
There are different styles within that very general concept. You only prove your ignorance and disability to discern the difference.

I like 2d isometric too, but not if it means styling those assets like this. I don't give a shit if it makes me look like a newfag,
You are a newfag regardless of that. Your lack of taste and knowledge makes you seem dumb.

there's nothing wrong with the Infinity engine approach of taking 3d backgrounds and rendering them out in 2d with after-effects added. Or in the case of wasteland2, using a 3d engine but focusing on an angled camera.

The mere tech does not produce good result.

Snerf

Learned
There are different styles within that very general concept. You only prove your ignorance and disability to discern the difference.

I know this is pointless to bother, but I wasn't comparing the technology they used to get to that point, just the decision to go with that type of cartoony styling. It doesn't matter if it's 2d, 3d, or beamed directly into my brain, they could have gone a different direction with the art style and I think they should have. Infinity engine, project eternity early stuff, hell, even fallout 1/2 went in a grittier direction that didn't scream "this tugboat looks like a children's bath toy!"

You are a newfag regardless of that. Your lack of taste and knowledge makes you seem dumb.

My not liking the decision to style a cyberpunk game like a busy town children's book? Gotcha. I fully admit that I don't know much about the shadowrun setting, that's why I asked if the style was some kind of legacy homage to the source material.

No shit?

hiver

but I wasn't comparing the technology they used to get to that point, just the decision to go with that type of cartoony styling
Are you also retarded?

I said :

I was NOT talking about technology in that point.

hell, even fallout 1/2 went in a grittier direction that didn't scream "this tugboat looks like a children's bath toy!"
Look fuckface... out of all these newer games art styles we saw, this one most resembles the art style of Fallout games.
And is chock full of details too.

there's nothing wrong with the Infinity engine approach of taking 3d backgrounds and rendering them out in 2d with after-effects added. Or in the case of wasteland2, using a 3d engine but focusing on an angled camera.
:hmmm:

Snerf

Learned
but I wasn't comparing the technology they used to get to that point, just the decision to go with that type of cartoony styling
Are you also retarded?

I said :

I was NOT talking about technology in that point.

hell, even fallout 1/2 went in a grittier direction that didn't scream "this tugboat looks like a children's bath toy!"
Look fuckface... out of all these newer games art styles we saw, this one most resembles the art style of Fallout games.
And is chock full of details too.

:hmmm:

Are you roleplaying a bot? None of that even remotely made sense.

I only mentioned fallout 1/2 as an example of games made years and years ago that had to have primitive graphics and still managed to look less cartoony and more gritty than these screen mockups.

Let me make this simple for you, because I'm not sure where all your foamy rage is coming from: I don't understand why they decided to give the game cartoony styling and was wondering if someone had insight into the shadowrun setting that would explain it. If there is no direct connection to the source material that influenced this choice, I think it's shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom