Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Skyrim gameplay footage

Vibalist

Arcane

Stinger

Arcane
Ok so...that's just the same video as E3...as QuakeCon...as every freaking demo they've shown right? Have they ever shown anything different to that section of the game? Next, why is said section so scripted? Freaking Todd, what are you hiding? That normally the Radiant Dragons just clip into walls or avoid the player in order to kill those terrible mudcrabs? And why doesn't the Dragon do the same mouth chewing stuff that it does on generic NPCs to the player.

Also...I thought those Dragon shouts would be unique spells that you'd get off different dragons, kinda like randomised looting where you might occasionally stumble something amazing. Nope, turns out Dragon shouts are generic points to be spent in the actual spells...thus rendering Dragon shouting into magic for nonmage players and I guess rendering mages useless (why would you be a mage shooting generic magic missiles when Dragon Shouts call Storms that kill dragons without the player having to bother with the effort?).

Seriously Todd, you dumbed down all the rpg elements for the sake of an action game that isn't even good at action?! :x

Angthoron

Arcane
Goddamned Todd, personally ruining everything that was otherwise awesome in Skyrim.

Why is this in the GRPG forums?

Black

Arcane
Vibalist said:
are you guys trying to be funny by posting skyrim news in general gaming now?

I don't know, does being a hiking simulator make it an RPG?

Regdar

Arcane
You know, if I didn't know better, I'd say the Codex needs Bethesda to establish its identity, much like republicans need to opposite liberal values constantly to keep track of the core beliefs of their party.

The question, then, is do I really know better? Does anyone? :smug:

Stinger said:
Ok so...that's just the same video as E3...as QuakeCon...as every freaking demo they've shown right? Have they ever shown anything different to that section of the game?

Nope, these are the exact same sequences they've been showing since gameinformer first got a glimpse.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Stinger said:
Freaking Todd, what are you hiding? That normally the Radiant Dragons just clip into walls or avoid the player in order to kill those terrible mudcrabs? And why doesn't the Dragon do the same mouth chewing stuff that it does on generic NPCs to the player.

imagine the awesomeness if a dragon killed a quest giver in front of you before you could get your reward

Can't happen because in staying true to awesome nordic lore Bethesda bathed all quest-givers in dragon blood, thereby making them immortal.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
MOVE
THIS
SHIT
TO
GG
OR
GRPG

MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND MODS!

DraQ

Arcane

roll-a-die

Magister
DraQ said:
Vibalist said:
Vibalist said:
Excuse me if this has already been posted

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=64184

well well, guess it has already been posted. are you guys trying to be funny by posting skyrim news in general gaming now?
Having an interesting and potentially promising RPG series turn into parade of progressively derpier shit slashers is funny now?
They've always been derpy slashers, looking at them without the veil of nostalgia, about the only one that was really any good, was Daggerfall. But even that one had too many bugs to count as truly good.

And before you cite Fallout 2, as an example of a buggy but incredibly good game. In that you at least didn't end up in areas that had an entrance but no exit once you got inside. Nor did you have a tendency to fall through the world.

I lost a character in the tutorial dungeon, because I walked into a cage and clipped through it. Then couldn't clip back out.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I fell through the floor of the Balmora mage's guild like a dozen fucking times

yep just jumping my way through your shit OH HELLO SUDDEN PINK VOID

I wonder how the roleplayers maintain their immersion during that

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Regdar said:
You know, if I didn't know better, I'd say the Codex needs Bethesda to establish its identity, much like republicans need to opposite liberal values constantly to keep track of the core beliefs of their party.

Naah, Beth is just one ingredient of the mix. Don't forget Bio :smug:

Suchy

Arcane
Amazing AI yet again.
In the beginning of the second vid, he sneak-shot that woman in a dungeon and the man who stood right next to her only drew his sword, while standing in place completely still.

DraQ

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
DraQ said:
Vibalist said:
Vibalist said:
Excuse me if this has already been posted

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=64184

well well, guess it has already been posted. are you guys trying to be funny by posting skyrim news in general gaming now?
Having an interesting and potentially promising RPG series turn into parade of progressively derpier shit slashers is funny now?
They've always been derpy slashers, looking at them without the veil of nostalgia
GTFO - both you and your nostalgia.

I'm immune and have actually seen, let alone played DF well after being horribly disappointed with oblivion.

I don't know about Arena or spinoffs (and I'm not interested in Arena, since it pre-dates actual TES lore which is one of the pillars of the series), but pre-oblivous TES, while horribly flawed, generally have highlights far outweighing even the enormous flaws.

Daggerfall has scale, general gameworld simulation mechanics, best chargen ever and a lot of politics; Morrowind has deep and rich lore, awesome exploration, lot of flexibility and excellent art design.

Falling through the floor, needing some houseruling to avoid obvious exploits or those pesky CTDs are small price to pay.

If you merged the best features of DF and MW, and applied obvious fixes to equally obvious flaws, you'd easily end up with one of the best cRPGs ever, not some derp slasher.

I lost a character in the tutorial dungeon, because I walked into a cage and clipped through it. Then couldn't clip back out.
Cry me a river.

That's what saves are for, among other things. Have I ever been butthurt about Wizardry 8 going TPK on me for leaning against glitched geometry or suddenly glitch-launching my party through the air against group of T'Rang guards, provoking a war I worked hard to avoid?
No.
Even on ironman I make backups for the specific purpose of being able to avoid engine derping out on me (I do kiss my party goodbye if it gets killed off legitimately, of course :obviously: ).

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
I don't know about Arena or spinoffs (and I'm not interested in Arena, since it pre-dates actual TES lore which is one of the pillars of the series), but pre-oblivous TES, while horribly flawed, generally have highlights far outweighing even the enormous flaws.
Arena is actually pretty interesting since it shows a lot of the groundwork for future TES games, and has pretty interesting dungeons (Labyrinthian, Crystal Tower, Dagoth Ur).

Also, Battlespire had tits. :smug:

qR9cR.png

Deleted member 7219

Gregz said:
Black said:
Vibalist said:
are you guys trying to be funny by posting skyrim news in general gaming now?

I don't know, does being a hiking simulator make it an RPG?

Risen apparently qualifies, so yes.

Yeah, not like Risen had other qualities like multiple paths, reactive game world etc. A shit ending and an easy character development system does not stop it from being an RPG. Unless you consider those awful rogue-likes to be the only true RPGs like a few other people here...

Exmit

Scholar
Waiting for Fallout 4 by Obsidian on new beth engine :M

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
I don't know about Arena or spinoffs (and I'm not interested in Arena, since it was lore raped by the shittiest game in the series, Daggerfail).

Fixed.

In case anyone is still curious Arena has these going for it:

1) A decent random dungeon generator.
2) A lot of unique dungeon tilesets for the main story, and the oens from random dungeons look different too rather than all feeling the same like the unbearably shitty daggerfall. They are also much more fun to navigate since the map is actually useful.
3) Terrain modification spells. You can dig holes and add or remove walls via magic. One more reason why square grid based dungeons are superior to nightmarish shit like daggerfag.
4) Unique races. Granted, they're still not very well balanced, which is a staple of the series (though none of the games in the series ever got as bad as Daggerfuck in this regard).

Daggerfall does have much better character art direction though. Merge Daggefall's character art with Arena and you have the perfect DOS era RPG. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom