Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Space Hulk

Dr Tomo

Learned
Is there multi-player in this game or mainly focused on single player?

Destroid

Arcane
It would be pretty ridiculous if it was single only, considering it's based on a game that is multiplayer only.

Multi-headed Cow

It's just because they don't want the overwhelming demand to cause too much strain on Steam's servers. This way, with delayed reviews, the initial rush will be staggered out over a longer period of time. It's fine, you worry too much.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Reviewers are supposedly not being given copies of the game until launch day. That does not bode well.
My educated guess is that there's just so much to the game. Space Hulk rules are pretty clear and (don't quote me on this) easy to implement. Once that is done, add some scenarios and such and you have a game. The problem is the game core will be very samish and the scenarios are restricted by the ruleset so no last stand or heavily scripted narrative tryhard crap. It works on a boardgame you'll play once or twice a week, probably not in a 4-8h session experience. Replayability is there but as there is no persistent unlocks or long term player learning process it will not last long.

I'll buy it anyway, for what is worth.

Last edited:

Dr Tomo

Learned
Reviewers are supposedly not being given copies of the game until launch day. That does not bode well.

Well considering this is industry standard at this point it really doesn't matter in my opinion and I can wait until launch to see if the game sucks or not. Unless you are sucking off the Head PR manager like a lot of the "game journalism" sites you won't be getting any copies until launch day anyway.

Diablo169

Arcane
Reviews being held back till launch day is NOT industry standard by any means. It is generally reserved for extremely shit games. A more recent high profile example being Aliens Colonial Marines.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Reviews being held back till launch day is NOT industry standard by any means. It is generally reserved for extremely shit games. A more recent high profile example being Aliens Colonial Marines.

Bad news for you bro, but Ea and Activision has done it in the past and Ubisoft as well. Did they do it with all titles? no. But it is more common then you might think and I am not encompassing indie or KS scene into this since they usually make decent games so maybe I should have clarified that.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
It's hard to fuck up the Space Hulk formula, worse that could happen it's we get a unfinished game ridden with bugs and missing features, which seems to be the norm these days, but that's why we have the 'demos'

Misconnected

Savant

Check the vid in post #42 in this thread. Obviously they've nailed the gameplay & visual design, so the worst case scenario are technical problems with shitty sounds on top.

I really don't see why you'd assume there's any problems, though. The dev is just a step above a garage studio, and GW is not handling the PR for them. So basically, they don't have the resources to deal with reviewers pre-release. It's not a particularly unique situation, though considering the IP I'm guessing the extremity of it just might be uniquely severe. Either way, it's no basis for speculation about the game.

Branm

Learned
I'm sure they will try their best not to release a buggy mess considering they still want people to slacker back Jagged Alliance.

Having a good release here might potentially sway a bunch of people to pledge. Frontline tactics not exactly a confidence builder, releasing a good Space hulk game would probably do it though.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I guess we'll wait and see, considering this is a small studio self publishing though? I'm worried.

Technically what should concern you is if the studio decides to gut their promises like the studio that made Shadow Run from what I heard. That is the one thing I have seen a few Ks projects do is that they under deliver their promises and I am unsure if there is much legal recourse for you when they do.

Bad news for you bro, but Ea and Activision has done it in the past and Ubisoft as well. Did they do it with all titles? no. But it is more common then you might think and I am not encompassing indie or KS scene into this since they usually make decent games so maybe I should have clarified that.

Yes, EA did it....with Medal of Honor, which a number of reviewers commented on as being a good sign that the game was going to be shit.

Well of course and most people don't realize that when they do give early copies they are usually bait & switch as with the Colonial Marines fiasco that happened not that long ago and one other title that was discussed as not being similar to a demo (can't remember which title). The only safe way of not getting burned is wait till post launch day and look for game play videos from people that did preorder or wait for a sale that you are comfortable with wasting.

Branm

Learned
Launch Trailer: Looks decent it's short and sweet, not much gameplay wise in there tho.

Branm

Learned
So I bought this. Good simple turn based fun. Maybe a little too easy but I only finished the tutorial missions on normal (norm = board game rules)

I have high hopes for the multiplayer VS...

First impressions are good though, it seems to be a very faithful representation of the board game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So I bought this. Good simple turn based fun. Maybe a little too easy but I only finished the tutorial missions on normal (norm = board game rules)

First impressions are good though, it seems to be a very faithful representation of the board game.

28 euros good?

That's a pretty steep price tag for a small game like this. Unless it really is the board game and a bunch of really compelling scenarios. If its a really good implementation of the board game, multiplayer will kick ass.

Branm

Learned

28 euros good?

That's a pretty steep price tag for a small game like this. Unless it really is the board game and a bunch of really compelling scenarios. If its a really good implementation of the board game, multiplayer will kick ass.

Tough question, I don't regret my purchase but I think it would of been better priced around $24.99.

Only difference I was able to spot from the board game is that you are allowed to move and fire in the same turn with the flamer.

Honestly though its been like 10+ years since I played the board game. But it does feel like it.

Just tried a multiplayer game as genestealers....I highly recommend the game for the multi!! Loads of fun!!! While I lost, I did kill 4/5 Terminators!! Stupid Flamer guy just got away :((

Last edited:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Sooooo that trailer kind of has my interest piqued.

Could anyone kind of give me a quick edumacation seminar on Space Hulk?

I know it's a turn-based squad tactics game set in the WH 40K universe but perhaps I should know more before I plunk down some potato on this.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

I know it's a turn-based squad tactics game set in the WH 40K universe but perhaps I should know more before I plunk down some potato on this.
From what I understand somebody controls the genestealers and somebody controls the Space Marines. The mehreens have to do mission objectives in the space hulk and the genestealers have to steal their jeans kill them all.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

From what I understand somebody controls the genestealers and somebody controls the Space Marines. The mehreens have to do mission objectives in the space hulk and the genestealers have to steal their jeans kill them all.

Any single-player campaigns or is it strictly multiplayer?

Nael

Arcane
Pip-pip-cheerio!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom