Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

new to Hidden and Dangerous series

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I've finally decided to give Hidden and Dangerous a try.

Started with the 2nd with the expansion, all patched.
I am liking it a lot, it feels great to play a decent shooter again.
My only complaint is the ammo system. Can't believe they went with the ammo pool thing...

Anyway i am on the 3rd Artic mission and started to be curious why i was never able to use uniforms.
Not even by slashing their throats. I found out enemies surrender but not if you are playing on very hard.
Bummer, double bummer if you consider that it is impossible to finish the campaign on very hard because you need
an enemies uniform on a specific mission.

I have a couple of questions:
1 - Besides the no saving and no surrenders from very hard, how does it compare with the hard difficulty?
2 - Any must have mods?

Data4

Arcane
H&D1 was my first tactical shooter. I really loved the atmosphere of the game. I never did play 2, though. Might have to check it out. Does it keep the feel of the first one, but with better graphics?

Shadowfang

Arcane
I don't know Data4, i foolishly started with the second one. I also want to give the 1st one a shot, and if it is similar i am sure i will enjoy it.
So far the game feels like a Rogue Spear on ww2.

The armory is excellent, it has common guns like the M1 and the Thompson and then some exotic ones like the de lisle comando carbine, that i had never heard of.
Its nice that some guns and gear are severly limited in number. You can't equip all your team mates with sniper rifles.
So i am having a blast equiping my little man, picking different headgear so i can tell'em apart. The gear you can shape a mission.

I am starting a new playthorugh on Hard, with another profile.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
H&D series is great. The atmosphere is fantastic in the first game, but the controls and graphics is probably a killer now though. But if you have someone to play with you might as well give it a go though, co-op always increase the fun.

My main issue with the second game is that there is no co-op except in the expansion. But the expansion I felt wasn't that good. Damn africa missions...

Btw. How did you get the game, amazon? So odd that you can't buy them on gog or steam yet.

Shadowfang

Arcane
I did not remove it from an inventory.
Yeah its really odd that you cant find these titles there.
I would get these games on gog. I own Vietcong, but never got the expansion. Wouldn't mind paying for both either.

Edit: found this regarding the 1st one.
The deluxe of HD was released for free to promote HD2.
Some players dislike the deluxe version.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I remember enjoying the demo and when finally getting the full game noticing a lot of bugs and broken mechanics especially in regards to stealth. Not sure anything has been addressed since then as it was many many years ago. The atmosohere was very solid I remember.

Shadowfang

Arcane
I haven't found many bugs so far, but i have only experienced HD2. I am yet to play HD1.
Once a hallway was so crowded that a german soldier got pushed through a wall into another room.
And on the 1st Africa mission, the documents spawn on random locations, i got the unlucky spot where you can spot them but cant grab them. Restart, new location, mission complete.
The Artic missions were all pretty cool with great atmosphere.
The Africa missions were hit and miss.
I like having realistic objectives, and attacking an airfield, destroying every enemy plane in sight sounds pretty good to me since the SAS did a very similar operation on africa at night. How does it compare? Well you also have to kill everyone. I am not a fan of the kill everyone objectives. Why? Because any other objective becames trivial. You want me to destroy every airplane, find documents, destroy the radio tower and rescue the prisioners? Sure, after i kill everyone i will take my sweet time doing each of those.

Now, the Norway Seawolf ops was great. It might have been a little too short and easy, but making a mission like that any longer would probably ruin it.
I don't want to spoil anyone that hasn't played the game aswell so i will just tell you this:
4 scuba diving sas operators + 2 two seats mini submarines + silenced stens + two ships + stealth objectives. No kill everyone bullshit.

I liked it so much i see myself replaying it very soon.

Last edited:
Got H&D Deluxe on a magazine, could never play for long. The cool atmosphere wasn't enough to make me deal with being repeatedly killed by one bullet on the pinky toe that came from somewhere in the horizon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom