Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War. Christ.

Spazmo

Erudite
You're only find ing out about this now?

Anyways, I find it's pretty nifty that they're rendering all the soldiers in 3D now. So many polygons...

Spazmo

Erudite
GameSpot knew about it on the 17th of January. It was unconfirmed but pretty reliable rumors, but they officially announced it seven days later on the 24th.

VasikkA

Liturgist
The screenshots sure look like candy (link). I hope the new unit models wont slow my computer down too much. The official Rome: Total War site was launched the 17th, but it was officially announced a week later. ;)

While waiting for the sequel, you can play the Medieval expansion. :)

Greetings,

I was on the very verge of buying Medieval: Total War, but I like to do as much research as possible before buying a game. I usually have to dig through at least four reviews before I find one that is, relatively, objective. So, after three or so glowing reviews, I found one that was not scathing, but simply explained that while Medieval did have its positive aspects, they were, in the least, balanced by the negative aspects.

I was rather disappointed, since I was really looking for a good, realistic, strategy game at the time. Warcraft III was a letdown, and I was back to playing Myth II.

However, after skimming through that Rome: Total War site... I mean, it is Rome. What do you think of when you hear 'formations' in a strategy game? You wonder, 'Can I form a phalanx?' Well.... I do anyway. And if you don't, you should.

Maullus
Who likes Marvin the Martian's hat, but thinks the leather skirt is a little bit risque

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Araanor said:
Hey Mallus, you familiar with Europa Universalis 2? Here's some reviews.
IT depends on what you are looking for- I loved EU2, but the inflation stat is unrealistic, the learning curve is like throwing a three year old into the middle of the Inidan ocean. While MTW is flawed, it really depends on what you are looking for- MTW is an RTS with thousands of units with a TB like Strategy game packed in, while EU2 is mind numming strategy.

Araanor

Liturgist
Learning curve is very steep, yes. There's no strategy game on the same scale and depth as EU2 (excepting Hearts of Iron, maybe). The game has received splendid patching, 1.06 was released recently. There's so much variety, I haven't played another strategy game as much for years and years.

Inflation stat? Unrealistic? Probably. Many many things are simplified to prevent too much micromanagement. Remember it's a grand strategy.

It's something of a reflex to start pimping the game here, MTW is more mainstream and has more publicity. If I see a thread somewhere else on RPGs and they're all talking about NWN or something of the sort I'll drop off names and links of other stuff.

Admittedly, I haven't given MTW more than a few glances. The strategy part is lacking, and the tactical bit didn´t appeal to me. Playing other games can do that to you. Compare Fallout and Baldur's Gate, hehe.

Same is true here.
The tactical element is entertaining for a while, but I stay for the strategy element of a game.
Im pimpin links because M:TW is great for tactics, okay for strategy and is mass market.
I had to hunt for EU2, and could only find HOI in my treasured Gamestop.
1.06 is cheap. You have to pour in money into the treasury, which gives you a 100+ inflation before you can say Enlightenment. I hate the entire inflation game- putting money into the treasury and funding things from there should not only be a possible way to do it, it is the only way some governments did it.
Also, which is better for post 1453 Byzantium, AGC or EEP?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought the title meant there was gonna be a Total War were you played as Jesus Christ. That would be SupercaliSacrilegticexpialidocious

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
HanoverF said:
I thought the title meant there was gonna be a Total War were you played as Jesus Christ

Total Wars: Jesus Christ: Back with a Vengeance.

Araanor

Liturgist
Constipated Craprunner said:
1.06 is cheap. You have to pour in money into the treasury, which gives you a 100+ inflation before you can say Enlightenment. I hate the entire inflation game- putting money into the treasury and funding things from there should not only be a possible way to do it, it is the only way some governments did it.

You're just misunderstanding the game. Asides from coins deliberately put into the treasury, you have a monthly income and yearly income. It should be well enough if you're not throwing it around. You might want to avoid playing small nations if you're not experienced.

Don't keep more troops than your manpower limit. It's expensive. You might want to lower the maintenance at peace times, save 50% gold. Just don't forget to pull it up again if you go to war.

Until you can get the improvement that picks some off, think of 10% as your maximum inflation, don't go over it if you're not in dire need of money. There's a random event that detracts 10 from inflation at times. Keep the yearly increase at 1% or lower.

Money will be much more plentiful later in the game.

I'm not going to give any more gameplay advice here. Head over to the official forums if you want to know how to manage your economy. Read the Economy FAQ or something.

Also, which is better for post 1453 Byzantium, AGC or EEP?

I don't know. I didn't like the EEP and I'm not going to try the AGC quite yet. Find out for yourself. The original setup is interesting by itself, with all those national shields all over the place.

Araanor

Liturgist
They have 2 events in the GC. Nothing strange about it, they're supposed to go under in a few decades you know.

If Casus Belli does anything, it's reducing the accumulation of BB. Taking CB provinces in a war gives you 0 BB.

I, again, refer to the official forum for questions.

Araanor

Liturgist
I see you made some posts, as CCR_of_the_Code.

Read the FAQ forum.

Taking CB provinces nets you 0 CB, but ANNEXING a foreign state does. "Other" religion means one point. "Same" (includes all christian variants) gives you 6. As Byzantium you should avoid annexing any other Christians on the balkans, just pluck provinces from them and let them be annexed by someone else or annex them diploamtically.

Casus Belli deters relations, yes.

Thats why it's hard as Byzantium.
You have the Hapsburgs and the Hungarians getting in line to fuck you in the ass.
Not the Truks- once you annex Hellas and Albania, it's quite easy to out manouver them and decimate them with your kickass calvalry.
It really should work more along the lines of how it works in AGC- a few events after an offical revival that signal Byzantium's claim on all former provences of the Roman Empire.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
Total Wars: Jesus Christ: Back with a Vengeance.

You know, he didn't really need an army. All he had to do was come back, talk to a few people, say he'd return in a few millenia.. And the Romans were pretty screwed by that alone. :D

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Hey, you ever watched the old Star Trek show? There was a really interesting one about a planet where the Roman Empire survived up until the 20th century level of technology. They had gladiator matches broadcast like sporting events for example.

Anyway, there were outcasts and rebels hiding in the caves and things that the Enterprise crew thought were Sun Worshippers, who were looking to change the course of the Empire. At the end of the show, when Kirk and crew escaped and were getting ready to leave, Ahura announced that they misinterpretted the Universal Translator, and it wasn't "Sun" Worshippers, it was "Son" Worshippers, as in Jesus had just come back from the dead there and the modern Roman Empire was having trouble dealing with the situation.

Then again, that's why the old show kicked ass and the new ones suck. They had more interesting writers back then. That certainly beats the hell out of the "Oh shit, the holodeck's security routines are broken again!"

Araanor

Liturgist
Constipated Craprunner said:
It really should work more along the lines of how it works in AGC- a few events after an offical revival that signal Byzantium's claim on all former provences of the Roman Empire.

The developers didn't concern themselves with purely fantasy events. Too much work.

If I play Byzantium, I start out with beating up the turks. Lots of provinces with no relation malus or BB costs.

Erhh... I'll shut up now.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I want to play a Total War game where I can play as the Spartans at Thermopylae, facing Xerxes 200,000 man strong army. Would be interesting to turn that into a victory :wink:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom