Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What's most aberrant is the streamer's satisfaction. 'This is great for me' and he keeps on playing.

That is gaming for you. You find an exploit that gives you an easy victory. And then complain that the game is easy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What's most aberrant is the streamer's satisfaction. 'This is great for me' and he keeps on playing. That's the Total War audience right there. Why program an advanced AI if a dumb AI makes the average player feel smart and satisfied?

Don't be an asshole. He says: "I don't understand it... it's great for me, but I still don't understand it." While he doesn't immediately launch into an autistic rant about how the game's total shit, it's clear in context that he knows something isn't right. There's nothing to suggest he's "satisfied" with it or that he finds buggy AI behaviors desirable.

What did you expect? Should he have aborted the stream and started smashing his computer peripherals while ranting about Creative Assembly? Or did you just need any flimsy excuse for a soapbox?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I was praising this game for trying to make factions more unique, but now that I did more reading and watched a few streams some of those ideas sound a bit... eh. Like undead having no ranged units at all, wat. Some of the offensive spells also seemed op as fuck in the videos, even more powerful than they were in Dark Omen and in that game you could basically solo most of the campaign with the bright wizard.

MoLAoS

What's most aberrant is the streamer's satisfaction. 'This is great for me' and he keeps on playing. That's the Total War audience right there. Why program an advanced AI if a dumb AI makes the average player feel smart and satisfied?

Don't be an asshole. He says: "I don't understand it... it's great for me, but I still don't understand it." While he doesn't immediately launch into an autistic rant about how the game's total shit, it's clear in context that he knows something isn't right. There's nothing to suggest he's "satisfied" with it or that he finds buggy AI behaviors desirable.

What did you expect? Should he have aborted the stream and started smashing his computer peripherals while ranting about Creative Assembly? Or did you just need any flimsy excuse for a soapbox?
Talking shit about Creative Assembly is an honorable and important profession sir!

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
What's most aberrant is the streamer's satisfaction. 'This is great for me' and he keeps on playing. That's the Total War audience right there. Why program an advanced AI if a dumb AI makes the average player feel smart and satisfie

thats a 100% shill,he begun by making fun made videos and then he got hired by CA to shill for them,nothing wrong to find a way to pay your bills but you should know whos who when you watch a video.

Should he have aborted the stream and started smashing his computer peripherals while ranting about Creative Assembly?
Yes. Not everyone is a dirty casual like you Blaine. I smashed up three PCs playing Rome 2. haRdcoregamer4life.

I also preordered.

v66LRNV.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Not everyone is a dirty casual like you Blaine.

I also preordered.

v66LRNV.png

2a41cb4e25.png

Shit man, I've been playing Shogun 2, and I remembered why (probably) I stopped playing it earlier than I otherwise would have three years ago: The AI spamming out 500 little navy ships and single ashigaru troops and moving them all over the place. Lots of strategy and 4x game AIs tend to do that sort of thing, but it's fucking OBNOXIOUS in Shogun 2 simply because of the naval element. Other than the obvious reasons why, especially if you haven't unchecked "Show AI Moves" in the campaign options, it means pirate fleets quickly and easily collect tons of ships to add to their navies.

It's an AI. For an AI, making 50 fucking fleets and managing 50 little one-ashigaru armies isn't tedious at all. For players, it's incredibly tedious.

I'm sorely tempted to go for Total Warhammer, but I think I'll try to get back into Medieval II instead.

visions

Arcane
I was praising this game for trying to make factions more unique, but now that I did more reading and watched a few streams some of those ideas sound a bit... eh. Like undead having no ranged units at all, wat.

That's not something Creative Assembly came up with. There were no conventional ranged units in Vampire Counts armies in tabletop either. Dark Omen had skeleton archers since the undead hadn't been split up into Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts back then. Only Tomb Kings had skeleton archers after the split up of undead into VC and TK. It would be weirder for them to have archers in VC armies, because there has never been an official VC list with conventional ranged units. I say conventional ranged units cause iiirc some things they had in tabletop had a ranged attack (Banshee? Some of the newfangled things that came after the sixth edition? Don't remember, but VC never had conventional ranged units like archers or anything like that).

I'd prefer them to stay loyal to tabletop, as far as army composition and the basic role of units is concerned, so imo it would be weirder for them to have conventional ranged units in VC.

It's an AI. For an AI, making 50 fucking fleets and managing 50 little one-ashigaru armies isn't tedious at all. For players, it's incredibly tedious.
It all goes back to CA's horrendous decision to introduce the shitty free movement 3D strategy map in Rome 1. Everything bad in the campaign AI can be traced back to that. It's the patient zero of Total War's horrible campaign AI. And each iteration they add some new, poorly thought out feature to the strategy map in an attempt to make free movement more relevant, but it invariably makes the game less about decisive battles and more about wack-a-mole the AI armies/fleets/merchants/whatever.

Fall of the Samurai's gunboat's ability to bombard resource points on the strategy map was the nadir for me. Apparently 19th century Japanese naval patrol vessels were equipped with tactical nuclear warheads capable of destroying a province’s agricultural infrastructure. Let one -- just one -- slip past your defensive fleets and your entire economy can be raised to the ground.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Good to see the press copies of WHTW continue the proud tradition of an entire ranged formation holding fire because one guy is stuck on a tree somewhere. It's been how many games now without a "fire when ready" order to circumvent this?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Good to see the press copies of WHTW continue the proud tradition of an entire ranged formation holding fire because one guy is stuck on a tree somewhere. It's been how many games now without a "fire when ready" order to circumvent this?

That, or just down-low fade the lost guy back into his formation if he falls X pixels behind. It's not like you can control individual soldiers anyway, so if they aren't separated on account of fighting, why aren't there measures in place to ensure all the men more-or-less stick together?

kris

Arcane
I was praising this game for trying to make factions more unique, but now that I did more reading and watched a few streams some of those ideas sound a bit... eh. Like undead having no ranged units at all, wat. Some of the offensive spells also seemed op as fuck in the videos, even more powerful than they were in Dark Omen and in that game you could basically solo most of the campaign with the bright wizard.

Some reviews posted here said the opposite, that offensive magic wasn't really that useful and he ended up mostly using buffs and debuffs

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
>be Vampire Counts
>not allowed to have ranged units
>receive a powerful Death Magic nuke that devastates one unit
>DAT SHIT OP YO

Dwarves pls go

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I see they're releasing a free faction at some point. I wonder what that'll be?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I see they're releasing a free faction at some point. I wonder what that'll be?
Brettonians, so they can reuse the empire animations and models with minimum effort.

Elves will be paid DLC because you know they'll sell like hotcakes.

Either way, the game will be shit unless we get old school Chaos Dwarves. Fancy hats for everyone!
ishkur_chaos-dwarf_warriors02.jpg

ishkur_chaos-dwarf_blunderbuss02.jpg

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Elves will probably in one of the standalone sequels which can be merged together with this game for a huge continuous game world. I still wonder what their plans are - if the stand alone sequel doesn't include the current game world, it will have only two or three factions in it (DE, HE, Lizards if they add also Lustria).

I also wonder where in this case the third stand alone expansion would be. Old world Asia? Sees unlikely.

Chaos Dwarfs are a possibility, they resurrected them recently for AoS with a new (ForgeWorld, iirc) model.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, no doubt it will be some shitty faction a grand total of two people will play.

I just wonder why they're bothering at all? Trying to win back goodwill after the Chaos Warriors shit? You can bet the casuals will be singing their praises because "FREE STUFF" just like they did in Witcher 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom