Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nu-chaos dorfs are grimdark , therefore fulfilling every need of the current youth

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
Guise,I think vampire counts have ranged units per lore,from their human subjects in Sylvania.

Also you need chaos dwarfs?

visions

Arcane
Guise,I think vampire counts have ranged units per lore,from their human subjects in Sylvania.

Back in the 6th ed there were unofficial fluffy army lists near the end of the army books, I think the Von Carstein list there had human subjects with ranged weapons. Also Storm of Chaos Sylvania list had skeletons with crossbow option.

Vampire Counts not having ranged units isn't something CA came up with though, that's just how the normal official VC army list always was.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What's most aberrant is the streamer's satisfaction. 'This is great for me' and he keeps on playing. That's the Total War audience right there. Why program an advanced AI if a dumb AI makes the average player feel smart and satisfied?

I can program advanced AI, but would you be able to see the difference?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's most aberrant is the streamer's satisfaction. 'This is great for me' and he keeps on playing. That's the Total War audience right there. Why program an advanced AI if a dumb AI makes the average player feel smart and satisfied?

I can program advanced AI, but would you be able to see the difference?
Can you do that in a game like TW? What do you mean by "advanced AI"? You see we are a lot of programmers in here, statements like that don't go unnoticed.\
Also keep in mind that your AI has to "behave" kind of "human-like". Meaning that the game has to be actually fun to play in some way. If you let code calculate everything in max efficiency then obviously the average gamer can't even cope with that.
Only in turn-based games should proper AI be implemented in my opinion. There the rules are ...fair.

kris

Arcane
I see they're releasing a free faction at some point. I wonder what that'll be?
Brettonians, so they can reuse the empire animations and models with minimum effort.

Reuse? Brettonians is already in the game, you just cant play at release (in campaign, possibly in skirmish?). I would say you are correct that they are the free faction though. (I doubt it will be Kislev)

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Arcane
it's clear in context that he knows something isn't right.

I sense something... slightly...not right... Oh I know, the AI is complete garbage meaning this is a game with no challenge for anyone with an IQ above room temperature. Oh well. You just have to look pass that.

Hoodoo

Arcane
What did you expect? Should he have aborted the stream and started smashing his computer peripherals while ranting about Creative Assembly?

I'm not an unemployed worthless waste of human resources who streams video games for money. So I wouldn't know.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I sense something... slightly...not right... Oh I know, the AI is complete garbage meaning this is a game with no challenge for anyone with an IQ above room temperature. Oh well. You just have to look pass that.

The AI has been garbage in THE ENTIRE SERIES, by that metric. Why on God's green earth are you bothering with this thread if you hate the series for its imperfect AI?

4b6f1bbd5e.png

Do you have fetal alcohol syndrome? I've never seen a sandwich clone-post before. :lol:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
''imperfect AI'' :lol: . Are they paying you to damage control for them?

Again, why are you here ranting nonstop about a game series you hate? Is it because your mother downed a bunch of appletinis while you were in utero?

It's never been that great. In fact, the AI in most of the strategy games I've ever played, including the greats like SMAC and MoO/2 (or X-COM, for that matter), wasn't that great and could be pretty retarded.

Hoodoo

Arcane
IT'S BRAIN DEAD. You can't tell the difference between an Imperfect AI and a braindead AI? Are you a moron?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
IT'S BRAIN DEAD. You can't tell the difference between an Imperfect AI and a braindead AI? Are you a moron?

The AI's not brain-dead, it's caught in some sort of loop or hangup because what it's trying to do isn't resolving properly.

It isn't making a purposeful decision to mill about uselessly.

Fucking Hell, my respect for DarkUnderlord increases steadily because whenever someone like you reveals his true power level, sure enough, when I have a look I more often than not see the
dumbfuck.gif
tag.

Hoodoo

Arcane
Guys there's a reason why the AI in this game is braindead. Since we've now established there's a cause for every specific events on earth that means you should buy the game.

Fucking Hell, my respect for DarkUnderlord increases steadily because whenever someone like you reveals his true power level, sure enough, when I have a look I more often than not see the
dumbfuck.gif
tag.

I'll remember to quote that one when you get one.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I won't. I already paid him off.

Anyway, out of many, many hours of footage, we can see that the AI makes stupid decisions fairly regularly (just like in Shogun 2, or Medieval II for that matter), and OCCASIONALLY something like the "brain-dead" glitch occurs.

Hoodoo

Arcane
Out of many hours of footage including the official material we can see the AI doesn't even differentiate between unit types. Since they even showcased it being braindead in promotional material we can assume CA sees absolutely nothing wrong with it.

And good luck modding AI in warscape. lel.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Somehow, despite the zany AI, I've managed to have a good time (of varying lengths) with every Total War game apart from Rome II.

Weirdly enough, it seems possible. But since you clearly haven't had the same experience, I gather you won't play this? Why bother commenting on it? When I have no trust in the quality of something I'm supposed to buy, I generally don't buy it. Or waste time on it. Or talk about it, unless explicitly invited. Seems like a misallocation of a precious resource (time).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The videos and pertinent information have already been posted, and readily allow viewers/readers to draw their own conclusions without some asshole with an axe to grind ranting about it every other post.

What are some strategy games you'd reckon have excellent AI, by the by?

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Just doing my civic duty to inform my fellow citizen of a defective product.

We're all watching the same videos, aren't we? Or did you have access to the review code? How can you inform anyone of something you have no experience with?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom