Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Seethe

Arbiter
What did you expect? Should he have aborted the stream and started smashing his computer peripherals while ranting about Creative Assembly?

Yeah

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I won't. I already paid him off.

Anyway, out of many, many hours of footage, we can see that the AI makes stupid decisions fairly regularly (just like in Shogun 2, or Medieval II for that matter), and OCCASIONALLY something like the "brain-dead" glitch occurs.

day 1 patch will fix it

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Lol, been out an hour and the forums are already awash with complaints of poor performance.

So much for it being the most optimized of the lot.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Lol, been out an hour and the forums are already awash with complaints of poor performance.

So much for it being the most optimized of the lot.

Don't see them, metacritic has positive ones so far.

Steam also, the only negative are from retards who cannot launch it.

kris

Arcane
Very enligthing discussion here. I reckon that VC will be the least affected by any weak AI since they lack ranged units, they will just rush you.

bonescraper

Fuck the AI, currently there's a 50/50 chance the game will launch at all, and when it does launch the amount of screen flickering is making it unplayable. GG CA.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The game is good. Very good, it has all to be the best and deepest game in the series so far even though not all previous features are present.
It runs smooth, the campaign is hard and very fun to play.
Ignore the bad reviews, It's just people being mad at their bad rigs or CA in general.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
That's not something Creative Assembly came up with. There were no conventional ranged units in Vampire Counts armies in tabletop either. Dark Omen had skeleton archers since the undead hadn't been split up into Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts back then. Only Tomb Kings had skeleton archers after the split up of undead into VC and TK. It would be weirder for them to have archers in VC armies, because there has never been an official VC list with conventional ranged units. I say conventional ranged units cause iiirc some things they had in tabletop had a ranged attack (Banshee? Some of the newfangled things that came after the sixth edition? Don't remember, but VC never had conventional ranged units like archers or anything like that).

I'd prefer them to stay loyal to tabletop, as far as army composition and the basic role of units is concerned, so imo it would be weirder for them to have conventional ranged units in VC.
I didn't play tabletop, but remember skelly archers and screaming skull catapult ( :x ) from Dark Omen. Anyway, seems pretty lame, especially the complete lack of siege artillery can be pretty crippling in the campaign. And I love playing undead factions in strategy games.

Some reviews posted here said the opposite, that offensive magic wasn't really that useful and he ended up mostly using buffs and debuffs
Good if true. In one of the streams the stupid AI cluttered many units in one place and the player routed like 1/3 of its army with a single cast of some flaming hounds spell.

kris

Arcane
I didn't play tabletop, but remember skelly archers and screaming skull catapult ( :x ) from Dark Omen. Anyway, seems pretty lame, especially the complete lack of siege artillery can be pretty crippling in the campaign. And I love playing undead factions in strategy games.

Shouldn't be since monsters can break gates and everyone can climb walls/have ladders. Not to forget fliers.

that said, I do love siege units. I love to see them land in those enemy units.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This game is getting trashed in Steam reviews, seemingly due mostly to technical issues.

04e56cb5de.png

Mark Richard

Arcane
Already the fan reaction is starting to look like Rome II: Total War on repeat, with plenty of highly voted user reviews claiming that since the product works for them, it can’t be a poorly optimized garbage. If you can’t run Total War: Warhammer then you must have a 20 year old machine running Windows 95 and you need to ‘git gud’ at hardware.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The biggest issue, from what I've read, is the game hanging for a very long time when it tries to launch for the first time. Responses claim that killing the process and launching again (or simply waiting) might fix it, and apparently the developers have been telling people to try running the game in offline mode, so it could also be that their servers are swamped (highly likely on release day). Of course, it's obnoxious that the game is apparently phoning home before it's even finished loading.

As for overall performance, I have a top-of-the-line Windows 7 PC (at least I did right up until the GTX 1080 was released, heh), and even Shogun 2 dips into sub-60 FPS for me when viewing large armies. Every individual soldier is rendered and anti-aliased (if you use anti-aliasing), so call me a shill if you must, but it seems to me that the very nature of how Total War's graphics are displayed is a factor. If you jam enough AA'd polygons into each frame, no consumer-grade computer on Earth can run it at 60+ FPS, and no amount of optimization will help.

Personally, I'd love it if Total War had well done 2D pixel graphics on both the battle and campaign maps, perhaps with elevation markers and 45-degree dimetric projection (which is sort of like top-down or isometric, but not quite). Goodbye, graphics performance concerns.

I hope to god none of you pricks fell for this shit again and D1P this.
I got Chaos Warriors for FREE! Who's laughing now motherfucker? Who's laughing now?

:negative:

The game has serious issues launching (if it launches at all). And it's not just the first time launching either. Performance is also shit in comparison to Attila which ran fine for me on a mix of high/ultra. Other than that 10/10 GOTY would D1P again.

Edit: Launches fine if there's no Internet connection. DRM: It doesn't even have the decency to buy you a meal before fucking you.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
This game would be buggy mess. They just cancelled current version and pushed new one. A new large version instead of a day one patch on decryption is bad sign.

This game is getting trashed in Steam reviews, seemingly due mostly to technical issues.

04e56cb5de.png
What did I say?

As a general rule, the worse company they are, the stronger DRM/copy protection/exe cryptors, they are using.
What are some strategy games you'd reckon have excellent AI, by the by?
That's bit complicated. Some games eased the AI to even become playable. MAX is one of these games that was known for reasonable AI, if Brad Wardel wouldn't be incompetent in game design, his games had sensible AI as well. There were also games where AI tried to not lose to itself, and players tried to fight user interface and thousands of units, in the end they had pretty difficult game to win. I think RFTG_0.9.4.exe had fine AI. But I like grand strategies, and it's not problem to weaken your starting position on purpose and play on normal to have challenging game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The game has serious issues launching (if it launches at all). And it's not just the first time launching either. Performance is also shit in comparison to Attila which ran fine for me on a mix of high/ultra. Other than that 10/10 GOTY would D1P again.

Enjoy your Denuvo.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That's bit complicated. Some games eased the AI to even become playable. MAX is one of these games that was known for reasonable AI

Yeah, if only M.A.X. didn't have a memory leak that crashes the game after every turn once 125-150 turns have passed, it would be fantastic.

It was no great feat of prophecy to predict that technical problems would abound on Total Warhammer's release, though. Still, this one is PARTICULARLY bad.

This Steam review is particularly good vis-à-vis the game's performance:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993197897/recommended/364360/

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It was no great feat of prophecy to predict that technical problems would abound on Total Warhammer's release, though. Still, this one is PARTICULARLY bad.
They wouldn't reupload 7 GB of data, when things wouldn't be spectacularly bad.

Anyway, he didn't state speed of his 5820K. Normally 5820K is Haswell with low speed per core, it REALLY shines when it's overclocked to at least 3.8 GHz. (Does this game have FPS counter, or is he guessing?) Too bad he didn't talk about non GFX bugs in detail.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom