Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Got this game for free with my graphics card. Started a dwarf campaign. Saw Thorgrim fighting enemies by waving his axe from his throne. My face went "wtf is this retarded shit" and I reflexively uninstalled the game. Now, did I do the right thing or is the rest of the game not as retarded?

You left something not uninstalled.

YourLife.exe

A horse of course

I have fun with the game, after I saved some moniez for it. Too bad the DLCs are pricey as fuck. If any rich, wonderfully bearded, dwarf guild master has DLCz to spare for a tiny greenskin, it would be much WAAAGH!

There'll be something like two big expansions, multiple race packs costing the same as the bastmen, and a horde of mini-DLC like Legendary Lord packs. It wouldn't surprise me if the total cost of this game ended up being somewhere between 200 and 300 bongs.

Normies should ALWAYS wait until a CA game is near the end of its cycle before purchasing 90% of content in a big sale.

Last edited by a moderator:

A horse of course

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Regiments_of_Renown

Oq96ZGp.jpg

Regiments of Renown
Let’s talk about new stuff. We announced way back in our future content blog that we have a bunch of different types of DLC coming up for Total War: WARHAMMER, offering different kinds of content at different prices, and we figured you’d be interested in some more specific info about what’s next on the agenda. So first off, we have our first Lords Pack in the pipeline (more on that Quite Soon™. Spoilers: it’s somewhat… Grim) accompanied of course with a new chunk of Free-LC.

The meat of the Lords Packs is kind of in the name, but one of the bonus extras you also get are a selection of Regiments of Renown. These are elite, mercenary variants of existing units; reverently-named squads, batteries and other troops who have distinguished themselves in past conflicts. The first Lords Pack will ship with 18 of them – nine for one of the core playable races, and nine for another.

This is just a short blog to explain a bit more about what they are, and hopefully to prompt modders to check out the new feature.

While these Regiments are by no means the main event of the forthcoming DLC, we thought they’d be really flavourful extras to supplement your armies and give character to your force compositions. The Warhammer Lore is dense with these famous (and infamous!) regiments and we’ll be paying attention to what you think and your suggestions and recommendations for future regiment releases.

In the Grand Campaign, these grizzled vets are recruited instantly into an army (rather like mercenaries in previous Total War games) from the new Regiments of Renown recruitment menu. That said, they won’t hire out to inexperienced commanders – the recruiting Lord needs to achieve a certain rank before Regiments become available for hire.

Right out of the box, they’re considerably better at what they do than regulars, boasting enhanced combat stats and an increased initial experience level for the unit they’re based on. They’ll be available in custom and multiplayer battles too – at an appropriate price-hike over their standard unit-roster counterparts, of course.

Each regiment is inspired by the time we’ve spent pawing through the many rule, army and campaign books from 8th Edition Warhammer Fantasy Battles, so table top players especially may see some familiar names in there.

On the battlefield, the unit will look very similar to the base unit it comes from, but will usually be differently coloured, textured, sized or in some cases have different weapons or armour to mark them out as different from the norm. Perhaps a mix of some or all of those differences, though ensuring readability in the heat of battle is still important.

This is the sort of thing that modders can have a go at too. The new Regiments of Renown recruitment system and interface is open to modding, so it’ll be interesting to see how people make use of it – not just for adding other more famous units, but other possibilities too perhaps.

Each regiment also gets one or more special abilities that its standard counterpart does not. The number varies according to the unit – most just have one, though a small number have two, three or even four. Here’s a couple of examples.

The Royal Altdorf Gryphites are the finest of the Knightly Orders’ inner-circle of cavalrymen, and may be familiar to those of you who’ve read the Black Library novel (or played TT campaigns based on) Sigmar’s Blood. Elite Demigryph units, they cause terror (and therefore fear as well), and are distinguishable on the battlefield by their snow-leopard colouring and blue-tinged armour.

Also from Sigmar’s Blood, The Hammer of the Witches is an elite artillery regiment, employing the last surviving Great Cannon from Fort Oberstyre before it succumbed to those Sylvanian rotters. The regiment got its name in the defence of the town of Gortansford, where it blew The Grey Hag to smithereens after being hastily stuffed with a muzzle-load of horseshoes. The unit is distinguished by its resplendent golden barrels, plus its enhanced physical resistance and the fact that its shells cause magical damage alongside the normal armour-piercing damage. (It doesn’t fire horseshoes though, sorry!)

spectre

Arcane
So, they've finally found a justification to sell slightly recolored units with slightly differnt names and statlines. The suits must be pulling hairs they haven't gotten into this warhammer thing earlier.

A horse of course

Well at least they're part of the Lord Packs, which CA previously described as:

Themed on a specific rivalry or conflict from the Warhammer Lore, Lord Packs contain brand new Legendary Lords and supporting units and characters for existing playable races. They typically include:

• 2 new playable Legendary Lords with their own narrative quest chains, campaign bonuses and quest items.

• 2 new Lords to serve as generals.

• A new unique Unit.

• New elite Units of Renown*.

Obviously Volkmar the Grim will be one LL, but I have no idea who the other is. Sigmar's Blood doesn't feature any tabletop characters aside from Volkmar, Mannfred and Gelt. Maybe they'll make lore characters like Alberich Von Korden or Whispering Nell into LLs, but it seems more likely they'd prioritize unadapted characters with existing rules.

A horse of course

Official trailer:

Plus Vlad Von Carstein as this month's Free-LC
• Two new Legendary Lords…
• …with new quest chains, magic items and skill trees
• Two new additional Lord types
• Five all-new battlefield units plus variants
• 18 elite Regiments of Renown
• Free Legendary Lord and five new battle maps for all players

Following the best-selling Call of the Beastmen, the first Lord Pack for Total War: WARHAMMER introduces two new Legendary Lords from Warhammer Fantasy Battles – Volkmar the Grim for the Empire, and Helman Ghorst for the Vampire Counts. Alongside this, The Grim & The Grave also adds two new lord types to the game with the Vampire Counts receiving the fearsome Strigoi Ghoul King, and the Arch Lector, mightiest of all warrior priests, joining the Empire.

In addition, both the Empire and Vampire Counts unit rosters are being expanded with two brand new units each. The Knights of the Blazing Sun, the zealous Flagellants and versatile Free Company Militia join the ranks of the Empire, while the vampire counts will see their undead hordes imbued with dark magic by the gruesome Corpse Cart and volatile Mortis Engine. The rosters of both factions are also further expanded by the addition of Regiments of Renown, unique unit variants with special traits and abilities, whose prowess in battle have immortalized them in the annals of the Old World.

As part of Total War: WARHAMMER’s ongoing free content program, an update released alongside The Grim and The Grave will introduce a number of unique new battle maps and Vlad von Carstein as a free legendary lord for all players. The first – and arguably greatest – of the Vampire Counts is a nigh-unrivalled practitioner of the Lore of Vampires, granting Vanguard Deployment to all units under his command, whose thirst for the throne of the Empire rivals even that of Mannfred himself.

VJ5x78x.jpg

A horse of course

NuHammer just made him look feral. CA have modelled him to look like a rotting zombie.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Nice to see Regiments o Renown back in from original tabletop box, Mengyl Manhide, Bugmans, Grom Paunch o Misty Mountains, Eeza Ugezod, Mordinis Dead Legion. Great stuff.

There were a Samurai one n all, someat like Sanyo Kawasaki and his magical sword Toyota. Doubt they'll include that though.

Think i'll buy this in a year or so.

A horse of course

At this stage, Regiments of Renown are simply elite versions of regular troops. They're not able to join other factions as mercenaries in the vein of Dogs of War, though CA explicitly stated they left the RoR system as open to modding as possible.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
You guys should try a combination of the following:

Radious Total War Mod
Radious Total War Units Mod
Radious Total War Decisive Battles Sub-Mod
Radious Total War Vanilla Upkeep Sub-Mod

For your troubles you'll get a better balanced game, with a huge amount of variety. The new units basically add a whole tier of upgrades, which is a huge change. For example, Halberdiers in vanilla are the Empire's go-to line unit for the whole game. With Radious, there are multiple higher-end units armed with halberds you can gradually upgrade to, as your income allows. They all look different, play different and have different impacts on how you conduct your battles.

Every faction has been filled out with these tier upgrades.

The sub-mods listed are there to get rid of Radious' stack spam and super-cheap units. I - for one - don't like running around with ten stacks by early mid-game. Or having the AI do the same. With those sub-mods, your experience of gradually growing your armies to multiple stacks will remain the same as in vanilla.

One other very good change is that Chaos' invasion is pretty nasty. Multiple stacks of top-end Chaos units with 2-3 Rank 9 Hellcannons... :lol:

I took a couple of fully upgraded Dwarf stacks to deal with those bastards and almost got blasted off the map... Luckily, Dwarves are made of stern stuff. :smug:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Radious. Are you serious? That guy is known for including everything and the kitchen sink in his mods. They're usually a mess. Diverse art that does not match, bizarre ideas for balance, tons of units that make little to no sense apart from that he simply made them because he could and so on.

Don't say that he could not have made something decent but come on, the track record simply isn't there.

A horse of course

Wake me up when Radious makes a nude patch for Valkia the Bloody.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Radious. Are you serious? That guy is known for including everything and the kitchen sink in his mods. They're usually a mess. Diverse art that does not match, bizarre ideas for balance, tons of units that make little to no sense apart from that he simply made them because he could and so on.

Don't say that he could not have made something decent but come on, the track record simply isn't there.

Yeah, I tried his mod for all of 20 rounds or so. Started as the VC and by round 10 the opposing VC faction had 3 20-unit doomstacks due to the increased gold gain that comes with Radious mod.

No thanks.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Radious has never made a mod worth playing. And didn't that douche add Black Ork archers or some retarded shit?

Last edited:

A horse of course

People actually get massively butthurt over "lore-breaking" units in Radious Mods that were part of faction rosters right up until the later army books :lol:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, I tried his mod for all of 20 rounds or so. Started as the VC and by round 10 the opposing VC faction had 3 20-unit doomstacks due to the increased gold gain that comes with Radious mod.

No thanks.

Which is why I suggested a combination of the listed mods, citing exactly this issue... Decisive Battles and Vanilla Upkeep will remove the stack spam entirely (although two stacks with VC by turn 20 isn't exactly unheard of in vanilla, either...).

Most of the units seem to fit fine? Certainly, nothing outlandish.

The balance actually seems quite good - there are a few issues I could identify in individual units, but by and large it works okay. Pretty much everything has a hard or soft counter in another faction roster. And it's nice to mix and match different tiers of units in the same category (spear, sword, halberd etc) as your income grows. Gives your army a nice variety.

A few turns in to my new Empire campaign, I bought one Leopold's Leopards spearmen unit. Almost three times as expensive as a standard Spearmen, in terms of upkeep, but it's got the stats and abilities to be worth it. Was it a good decision, considering I could have had 360 spearmen for the price of 120 LLs? Depends, I guess, but it was a nice decision to have to make.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom