Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout .

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Major update to the guide today.

To list everything I changed would be a pointless exercise. It should take anyone who has already installed the game (and has already followed the guide before) not much time to redo their mod list.

Basically I looked to remove a lot of mods that didn't make the game more fun in any way or form. So that means a lot of visual and audio mods had to go. Same with patches and gameplay mods that were just too specific to worth listing. I tried to keep everything that improved on the game's atmosphere significantly (i.e. lighting and the Strip), as well as mods that improved the gunplay from an animation, visuals, and sound point of view (mechanically, we have the gameplay mods).

The mod order and plugin order looks gigantic... but it had to be because of how many patches you need to get all mods working together. Take it or leave it. For what it's worth, and without counting patches or mod add-ons, there are roughly 100 mods in the guide.

Anyhow now that I've finished the game and got this update out of the way, I'm going back to other, more productive things.

lazy fuck. just pack this all into one installer. nobody has time to follow your ridiculous instruction manual that leads to 100 other instruction manuals

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The problem I have with mod lists like this (no matter how well curated) is they always appeal mainly to that person's brand of autism, so I just end up making my own. The installer comment was a little harsh but I understand the sentiment.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Reminder that my guide is 100% Codex friendly, unlike others (cough cough Viva New Vegas).

pushthetriggerbutton.png
Does he think the actual Jews on this site are self-hating too?

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
How should the mod order and load order look? I followed the guide to a T, but when I pasted the profile files it got all fucked up. Some mods deactivated and aligned in random order on the mod list (I had my own separators after the chapters of the guide, could they have messed it up?). "Modlist.txt" seems to be ass-backwards. Should the DLCs be at the very bottom of the mod order?

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Mod order used to be in order of the installations, as were the plugins, then after pasting the profile files:
j2rVUxX.jpg

Some mods seem to have been randomly turned off and arranged alphabetically. Plugins seem to be in proper order, with the exception of those from the disabled mods, which obviously aren't there.

I precisely followed the Main guide, installed the pre-generated LODGen Output, disabled MO2, pasted profile files and upon restarting saw the same situation as above. Then I noticed the addendum, so I uninstalled the LODGen, re-enabled the now randomly arranged mods, installed some of the mods suggested in the Addendum, pasted the addendum profile files without disabling MO2, ran a custom LODGen as per instructions, compiled and installed it, then restarted MO2. The result is visible above.

Not sure if worth a mention, but I'm running the ENPLCZRU version of New Vegas (only one Steam would let me have in Poland). I have placed both Steam and "Fallout New Vegas Mods" folder on the E:/ partition.

EDIT: It has occurred to me that I might have named some files differently in the case of naming conflicts. It seems a likely cause. Will attempt manual sorting - seems like less of a hustle than trying to rename everything. One question I also have: does the mod/plugin order matter for LOD generation?

Last edited:

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I noticed a couple of things: Modorder lists "JSawyer Ultimate - Mojave Arsenal Patch (GRA Merged) - Hunting Revolver Iron Sights Patch", but loadorder doesn't list the corresponding .esp anywhere. Also "JSawyer Ultimate Edition Patches" BAIN seems to be missing the "JSawyer Ultimate - Mojave Arsenal Patch (GRA Merged).esp" which is listed on the loadorder.

So I'm guessing there's no Wabbajack or Nexus collection auto installer for this? My tolerance for autistic mod lists with many mods hinges on whether I can auto install in an hour versus taking the weekend off to install it manually.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Have you considered adding Brave New World to the list? Most minor characters in the game share like 3-4 voice actors between them and the mod changes that. Voice work is of very high quality from what I've heard.

U-8D8

Savant
Have you come across any mods that significantly change how fast travel works? I've tried one done by JIP I think but I'm looking for one closer to Fallout 1/2's style.

U-8D8

Savant
Do you mean one that adds random encounters when fast traveling?
Sort of. I haven't enjoyed the actual exploration aspect of gamebryo games since the demise of athletics/acrobatics and some old-school RPG-esque overworld travel map would be great for making travel more than a button click. JIP's Fast Travel Anywhere does roughly what I'm talking about but the separation between it and the pipboy map made it clunky if you're trying to get somewhere specific. Plus the exploration aspect isn't quite there when it's instantaneous travel. I was wondering if anybody had improved on the concept since I last played.

Benas97

Barely Literate
Could you please re-upload new modlist.txt ? It's dated to june 3 version of the guide and it completely mixed up all mod order.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What happened?
I was working on a new update.

But then I realized, "for what purpose?".
Basically it would be of use only for those that think New Vegas is either already good enough, or those who want a somewhat purist experience. I don't think there are many people like that.
I'm a person like that! I was looking forward to using this on my next play through. But I'll take a look on the list you provided.

spockthewok

Novice
For what it's worth, this would have been the new list. A little bit over 80 mods.
As someone who has slowly been cutting out all the pointless shit included in Misc Gameplay Merge with xEdit, thank you for validating my efforts by only including the individual mods that are actually decent from it in your would-have-been mod list. I've been considering switching to individual plugins for ages but I like to keep my load order short and minimalist. It's good to see you would have switched back to SawyerBatty too!

Yosharian

Arcane
The complete mod list with download links, and a few mentions on where certain patches are needed.

This is all I can give you.
Also lmao at the amount of utilities and patches this fucking game needs.
How is this different to VNV? Seems very similar
It is much more focused on getting the best out of the base game, in the form of bug-fixes, UI polish, and improving character visuals.
Ironically your comment is exactly why I deleted the guide. I can't bother maintaining a mod list if people will complain it's like VNV heh.
I didn't mean to be critical of your work or anything. It's just that of course with VNV I can complain directly to the modlist author on Discord if something goes wrong, and hopefully get free tech support more or less instantly. And also the author has a legion of players to bugtest the modlist for him. Not to mention the advantages of Wabbajack.

TheSoul

Scholar
Playing new vegas for the first time in years, first time with mods. Is it playable without having quests markers on all the time, or are quests not meant to be finished without them pointing you everywhere?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
IIRC, as with Oblivion and Fallout 3 before it (also Skyrim after it), Fallout New Vegas doesn't provide sufficient information to be completed without quest markers. The introduction of quest markers prompted a change in the way Bethesda provided information to the player, relative to Morrowind in 2002, and Obsidian followed suit.

Codex Year of the Donut
prompted a change in the way Bethesda provided information to the player, relative to Morrowind in 2002,
they began providing quest markers because their directions sucked
ag5vo6i0jww41.jpg

Go ahead, read the directions and see how long it takes you to find the location:
7v343ov63uf11.jpg

It's not just something that happens a few times, and you frequently get directions that are flat out wrong:

quest markers exist because their designers couldn't give directions worth shit, not because of players

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom