Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas technical problem

Kainan

Learned
I started my second NV game and it works fine for a while but after say half an hour it starts flickering, like a slight blackening of the screen. I cant play it like this, but nobody knows how to fix it. Everyone says some random crap that doesnt work. I have Windows 10 with no mods except JSawyer Ultimate, NVSE in the data folder with those two options in the ini file "lightingcritical" or whatever ticked to "1" but it still flickers. FO3 i had with exact same settings and it was completely smooth. Fuck! I dont know why cant i just install the game and play it and not have to deal with crap like this so many years after the game came out.

Vatnik Wumao
What I'd personally do is...

1. Copy your save games somewhere else, delete your local game data in Documents and relaunch the game so that it gets recreated properly, then readd your save games.

Then if that doesn't work,
2. Delete your local game data again, relaunch the game and start a new playthrough.

Then if that doesn't work either,
3. Delete your local game data again and also reinstall the game.

If none of the above work in solving the issue, then dunno.

spockthewok

Novice
Firstly, if it's true that the only mods you have installed are JSUE and NVSE, you are missing a required mod for JSUE - JIP LN NVSE (make sure you have the latest version of NVSE too).
Secondly, I would recommend taking a look at the Viva New Vegas mod guide, particularly from the 'Introduction' to the 'Bug Fixes' sections - this will tell you how to install FNV correctly and give you all the mods required to run the game in the current year, as well as detailed instructions on how to install and tweak them accordingly. While you don't have to follow the whole thing, it is good resource to have when trying to get the game to work.

Last edited:

Kainan

Learned
Thanks. Ill try all that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Yosharian

Arcane
VNV is a more or less bug-free experience with very few crashes.

That's saying something for a game built on the Bethesda engine

Kainan

Learned
It crashed just once. NV didn't crash at least either but this stuttering/flickering is killing the game for me. Also the saves got corrupted and wouldn't load. I was level 7.

Kainan

Learned
Its still happening but i figured out it has something to do with taking screens. When i press print screen it takes a screenshot and thats when the flickering starts and it doesnt go away until the game is restarted.

Kainan

Learned
It does have and not even normal ones. I tested it for a couple hours now thinking it might be saving/loading related but no its just whenever i hit print screen. Its such a random problem and its just blind luck that i noticed it or i would've given up on the game.

Kainan

Learned
Well thanks everyone for help anyway but man NV even though i like it and with zero mods you have to spend an entire week just to get it working.

Codex Year of the Donut
Might just be a driver issue. Dx9 is old and the driver implementations of it are probably not well tested anymore. Try dropping the d3d9.dll from dxvk or dgvoodoo2 into the same folder as the fnv exe and see if it still happens.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Test if the flickering happens both in fullscreen and in window mode.
If windowed mode is fine, you might need to change compatibility settings to something lower, its an old game.

Kainan

Learned
Game started crashing constantly. Right after that deathclaw quarry, im sneaking past deathclaws towards Vegas and whenever i pass some invisible line it crashes. Im trying everything but nothing works. im level 7 again. Im giving up, i just cant deal with this shit.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is the frame rate locked? Usually when something works and then goes wrong after a while it's because of overheating. Sometimes if the frame rate is unlocked in a game it can run the graphics card at 100% and it can overheat your PC if the cooling can't cope. So you could try making sure frame rate is locked at 60. But yeah it sounds buggy, I'd try a different version all together. That game sucks anyway.

codex account

Educated
new vegas install guide
install game
run game once
install fixes:
4GB patcher
xNVSE
nvtf
jip ln nvse
JohnnyGuitar NVSE
ShowOff NVSE
YUP
run game again
configure fixes
if you want mods here is a good time to copy entire game folder so have a clean installation
but you gave up maybe will help someone else

Last edited:

Kainan

Learned
Is the frame rate locked? Usually when something works and then goes wrong after a while it's because of overheating. Sometimes if the frame rate is unlocked in a game it can run the graphics card at 100% and it can overheat your PC if the cooling can't cope. So you could try making sure frame rate is locked at 60. But yeah it sounds buggy, I'd try a different version all together. That game sucks anyway.
It's locked at 144. Supposedly you shouldn't above 60 but I played FO3 like that with zero problems...

Kainan

Learned
And why are all those deathclaws there? On the road right in front of Vegas. Couldn't they think of something else to block the way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom