Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

News-Posting Optimization (for Calis and DU to consider)

Atrokkus

Erudite
I wanted to suggest a new way of making news about new content items.

For clarity's sake, I want to describe the way we do it at RPGPlanet.ru:

There are two separate forums: news and content forums. When you post a thread in the news forum, it is displayed on the main site page -- I believe same goes for Codex. However, the difference is that the content items (articles) are published similarily: once you post a thread in the site content forum, it is added to content database automatically. Then, if I want to make a newsitem saying "Yay! we've got a new article!", without creating a separate thread in news forum, I'll just edit the content thread this way:

[preview][previewtext}Yay! We've got a new article![/previewtext][/preview]
Article Text Blablablablalb asdfjsdf
[preview]omy god now this is a good snippet to display as a quote in the newsitem![preview]
sdfasdfkjasd
asdfkj
Custom tag [preview] makes the text appear in the newspost as a quote, while with tag [previewtext] you can make text appear in the news as normal text. When applying just the preview tag, the selected chunk of text remains in the article post, while mirroring in the generated newspost, but [previewtext] makes the text fragment in article invisible -- visible only in the newsitem.

It should be noted, however, that the RPGPlanet.ru forum is a modified version of InvisionBoard 2.6.1, and site is coded very differently, too -- the base is SQL-based. One sql-query gets both the content and news forum threads. Previews are generated separately and cached in the database. Upon each editing, cache is cleared.

Again, it's just an example of what can be done in different conditions -- your job is either to accept it as good example and make it work in our environment, or reject it completely. Both ways are fine with me, I'm just trying to help make Codex better -- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, I should say that this system is not perfect either: for instance, I can't really comment the quote, because I can't seem to be able to insert {previewtext} twice -- though I guess it can be fixed (im currently discussing that with our coder).

PS: i'm just sick and tired of all the thread duplication and confusion that it entails. I was sick of it on RPGplanet.ru but fortunately I got the coders to fix the damn thing and now we have no duplication whatsoever.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It better be done soon or else I'll borscht your fucking ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom