Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Next Year is going to be huge Forgotten Realms

Gyor

Savant
It's only going to be huge if Wizards violates the contract they have with Ed Greenwood, causing ownership of the setting to revert back to him.

They already have, when was the last FR novel you've seen from Ed? Ed is just too nice a guy.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Eberron because it's not the patchwork other settings are. All the countries have relationships to eachother, not just their immediate neighbors, going by 1000 years+. The continent full of dragons? Even when it stays in the background it's important to plots due to their involvement being a clear fail condition (They scoured a continent of civilization once, and aren't going to hessitate to do it again if needed). The actual industry of the world has actual detail and importance beyond just background notes on imports/exports at best. The non-continuity prevents problems like From the Ashes, the Cerulean Storm, the faction wars, or Spellplague from wrecking the setting while simultaneously letting module/novel creators go wild (Want to have a released extra-dimensional beast wreck the world's largest city? Sure, go nuts, it only applies to your continuity anyways.) and letting the player's actions have actual impact. It's not a straightforward fight of "good" vs. "evil" and the DM is free to have virtually any faction be an antagonist, while the majority can also be allies.

Fixed the first sentence. Eberron is a big patchwork of everything the author seemed to love, that makes no sense at all and just build for the rule of cool. It wants to be everything. Can be fun, but I can't get a real feeling for what it wants to be.

The Forgotten Realms can be quite weird too, because everything is possible and that can be really fun. If I'm honest, most adventures are not weird enough and too generic, but Shadows of Undrentide shows how the setting can be fun and still make somehow sense.

Last edited:

Gyor

Savant
Eberron because it's not the patchwork other settings are. All the countries have relationships to eachother, not just their immediate neighbors, going by 1000 years+. The continent full of dragons? Even when it stays in the background it's important to plots due to their involvement being a clear fail condition (They scoured a continent of civilization once, and aren't going to hessitate to do it again if needed). The actual industry of the world has actual detail and importance beyond just background notes on imports/exports at best. The non-continuity prevents problems like From the Ashes, the Cerulean Storm, the faction wars, or Spellplague from wrecking the setting while simultaneously letting module/novel creators go wild (Want to have a released extra-dimensional beast wreck the world's largest city? Sure, go nuts, it only applies to your continuity anyways.) and letting the player's actions have actual impact. It's not a straightforward fight of "good" vs. "evil" and the DM is free to have virtually any faction be an antagonist, while the majority can also be allies.

Fixed the first sentence. Eberron is a big patchwork of everything the author seemed to love, that makes no sense at all and just build for the rule of cool. It wants to be everything. Can be fun, but it's too much in love with it's own lore.

The Forgotten Realms can be quite weird too, because everything is possible and that can be really fun. If I'm honest, most adventures are not weird enough and too generic, but Shadows of Undrentide shows how the setting can be fun and still make somehow sense.

BG3 is pretty weird too.

Then there is Desert of Desolation too jack in the day.

The problem is there are tons of cool story lines and dungeons in FR if they would just leave the Swordcoast. The Celestial Nadir is a cool Demiplane Dungeon in the Old Kingdoms region, but its never had a Adventure set there.

Then there ruins from Batrachi Empires like the one ruled by a civilization of Doppelganges.

I can think of dozens of possible adventures in FR that would be far from generic.

The problem os some folks think Kitchen Sink = Generic because they can boil the settings essence down to a simple theme, like Steam Punk, Greek Myth, Gothic Horror, Bright Fantasy, Gritty low magic Fantasy, ect...

The real world is itself a great kitchen sink setting.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
BG3 is pretty weird too.

Then there is Desert of Desolation too jack in the day.

The problem is there are tons of cool story lines and dungeons in FR if they would just leave the Swordcoast. The Celestial Nadir is a cool Demiplane Dungeon in the Old Kingdoms region, but its never had a Adventure set there.

Then there ruins from Batrachi Empires like the one ruled by a civilization of Doppelganges.

I can think of dozens of possible adventures in FR that would be far from generic.

The problem os some folks think Kitchen Sink = Generic because they can boil the settings essence down to a simple theme, like Steam Punk, Greek Myth, Gothic Horror, Bright Fantasy, Gritty low magic Fantasy, ect...

The real world is itself a great kitchen sink setting.

To be fair, a game just in Waterdeep could fill whole campaigns and at least ten big Addons, if done right. That city is just crazy with it's portals and the Undermountain and the complex city structure (but it isn't part of the Sword Coast anymore? Meh). In the end, most popular settings are popular, because they are easily accessable on the first view, but it's all about the details and how to use them. Personally, I would love a game in Luskan: mages and pirates fighting for power in the city. Count me in.

Last edited:

Grubba

Arcane
Gimme Dark Sun, Ravenloft or Planescape any time of the day.
tenor.gif

Can you imagine how Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford & the rest of the assorted cucks and diversity hires at WotC would molest those? Truly, sometimes dead is better

I think they would sooner issue an apology for the sin of creating & selling Dark Sun rather than try to update & woke-ify it. Any attempt to change it to make it palatable for the SJW crowd would render it completely unrecognizable. Mass genocide, slavery, survival of the fittest...the entire setting is a massive trigger for the SJW mob. Sure there's the whole post-apoc vibe that would still be a selling point and the environmental collapse/dying earth angle would certainly be appealing to their new target audience, but the removal of other core aspects for being problematic would turn it into just another generic world. The old fans would pass and the new people would shrug and not get why they should care at all.

Caim

Arcane
I found this series of articles on Lantan
http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20011010x

I thought it was one of the few interesting places in the Realms, but no, it's turns out it's also retarded! They literally have a system of permanent, two-way portals, and can consciously create them. What do they do with this? Some small time weapons trades to pirates.

:what:
Reminds me of Bo Levar from Magic: The Gathering.

Bo_Levar.jpg

My man here is a pre-mending Planeswalker. That means that he's a god who can warp reality with a thought, being able to shape and create entire planes of reality, create life ex nihilo and manifest great works of magic. So what does he does with his godly powers? He... smuggles cigars across the planes on his sailboat.

Gyor

Savant
The fact that we know both 3 classic settings are coming and a MtG crossover, but that we got an the promised adventure anthology instead of either Kakdheim or Zendikar confirms in my mind that we are getting a Forgotten Realms Worldbook because as of this summer the Forgotten Realms is bothna classic setting and an MtG setting, so it fils both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom