Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Nexus Now Disallowing Creators To Delete Their Mods (Aug 5 Cutoff Date Passed)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Immortal, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Absinthe Arcane

Absinthe
    Huh. That sounds an awful lot like Eric S. Raymond's musings on The Cathedral and the Bazaar about Linux and the Open Source community (http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/) but he's using a curiously different definition of "Cathedral". In ESR's view the Cathedral is the centralized top-down development model whereas the Bazaar is a ground-up development model where you look through loads of conflicting submissions and ideas that are just offered to you in order to make something better. But Wrye is using Cathedral to represent some kind of collaborative pursuit of perfection.

Honestly, Wrye doesn't sound like he has it exactly right either. I get what he means by the parlor view, but when it comes to cathedral development in the modding community it's obvious that not everyone will agree on what the perfect game is or ought to be. Many people are not even out to create some kind of idealized perfect vision of the game. And of those who do want to create a perfect version of the game, you get those prima donna types who insist you have to run their mods their way or not at all.

Wrye's open modding license stuff also sounds shitty, leaving doors open for people to specifically deny interoperability among mods. I'm generally of the persuasion that if you make a mod people should be free to do whatever the fuck they want with it and while you can raise a stink if you think they are fucking shit up, you shouldn't get all fucking legal about any of this crap or try to compel people to do things your way.

It's the right way to do it, honestly. Modders can be such fucking drama queens that this one sentence will save you a lot of headaches when a retard gets so anally devastated he tries to go legal on your ass. Providing a largely indiscriminate mass mod-hosting service without that doesn't seem worth the trouble. Mod DB ToU has that line too:

Actually moddb's ToU is a lot more fucking insane, including this beauty of a clause:

A lot of that shit is poorly worded and #2 and #5 is totally subjective nonsense.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    ^ Top  
  2. Immortal Arcane

Immortal

:Sigh:

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    http://mod.io exists but it seems like no matter how much Nexus fucks up, certain communities refuse to use anything else.

^ Top  
  4. deama Liturgist

deama
    [​IMG]

I thought nexus stopped this? Did they revert it or was this deleted before the new nexus rules?

• Old Old x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    like 99% of moddb is in violation of this

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    Did you even read the OP?

^ Top  
  7. Alexander DeLarge Liturgist

Alexander DeLarge
    FOMO made me buy it and holy shit I never realized how fucking awful it is to be a free user on Nexus until now. Modding my Morrowind install used to take 6-8 hours. Took less than a half hour with premium.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    i completely and utterly agree with everyone in this thread decrying such an horrendous attack on modder rights

after all, where would be if a writer couldn't recall every copy of every book he ever wrote in an instant? no one would publish books anymore, surely

this honestly describes me with stunning accuracy

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. deama Liturgist

deama
    Oh, I thought it meant when the mod was submitted.

^ Top  
  10. Mexi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Sad Loser

Mexi
    One of the worst ones I remember, I think it was FNV mod. I was reading the comments because it hadn't been updated in years. One of the comments said that the mod author promised that if he didn't update the mod in more than a year, that someone can ask him for the background code or whatever, and he would give it up willingly.

Well, someone in the comments started up the decree or whatever, and the mod author says no! He says that he is going to come back to it soon even though he admittedly hadn't even touched it. What an absolute asshole.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You can enjoy the art but still hate the artist and their attitude.

^ Top  
  12. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    i havent seen a mod id call art but yes, i concur with the sentiment

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    True, I may have been stretching it a bit far with "art".

^ Top  
  14. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    how does one achieve two millions posts

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Be part of the great Blaine brofist redistribution of '17

(I actually have like 5k or something)

• Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Malamert Magister Edgy

Malamert
    Den of thieves.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    ^ Top  
  17. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte

The bethesdan modder in its natural environment

• Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-new...eir-mods-to-protest-nexus-mods-change-2990283
    Here is an ongoing list of mods already deleted: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Im5Mg-l2btRsYVOjaJa0slrjDcXNvi41J5pHw_Zuwqw/edit

Some Skyrim mods have also already vanished, but there's no list so far.

• incline incline x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Peaceful protest Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Meh, click bait youtubers, bunch of small mods. Only relevant one is the Capital Wasteland mod but dunno why someone would wish to play Fallout 3 on Fallout 4.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It's a culling. Real modders that just want other people to experience their creations don't care.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  22. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    The longer you wait to cut the cancer out, the worse it will be. This was an expected reaction.

Noticing a trend that most modders throwing a fit are coomers btw.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    Literally nothing on that list is a loss.
    Half these mods are just garbage that already exists in better stuff.

Example, one mod is to scrap the Gas station arms in Red Rocket.. but there's already a scrap anything mod that's half the size and does all that and more.
    I love the random like "So and So is now hosting on CURSED MODS site" - They are so fucking desperate at this point and a good 1/4th of that list is now "BACK ON NEXUS".. Lmfao. :lol: #TemperTantrum #WaitILostAccessToModderForum??

I echo that this culling was a long time coming. But honestly.. I expected a bigger fallout than this.. A ton of the more notorious drama-freaks have basically remained silent and did nothing in reaction. If the best mods we lose are "Scrap the gas pumps!!11oneone" I see this doubling as spring cleaning.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    What a garbage youtube channel. He has a clear conflict of interest in that his revenue directly correlates to new mods being created and even receiving news / interviews around said mods - so of course he's going to suck up to them.

After his Cyberpunk shilling then complete 180 the minute he got called out. Just another youtube leach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Youtubers are scum too.

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.