Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nexus Now Disallowing Creators To Delete Their Mods (Aug 5 Cutoff Date Passed)

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nexus will never change the policy to require mods to be public domain - because it makes users life too easy and makes Nexus pointless. If mods are public domain or open source - they can be hosted on GitHub or GitLab. Free fast downloads, no need to create account, no ads, stable API that works with various tools, ability to fork at will, hack-proof, keeps backups of every version forever - and Nexus looks like warez site from 90s in comparison.

I do not understand how someone can still act like file hosting is the only service that Nexus provides. It's been stated many times already that the Nexus provides a search engine, free publicity and tooling on top of its file-hosting services. In addition the Nexus has become the standard for people to go to look for mods. Other mod resources don't see anywhere near the traffic, while your stuff gets free exposure to the Nexus's traffic.

Stating that the nexus is scared of people starting to host their own stuff on their own little corner of the internet is, frankly, ludicrous. There are many, many, great projects out there that you don't know about, yet are hosted somewhere on the internet. You need publicity for your work, else no one will give a damn about your project because they don't know about it. It's not enough that they know that you and your other projects exist, no, they need to become aware that your new projects also exist.

The ad industry has become gigantic for a reason, and the large impact that even a small marketing budget has on tiny projects is well documented. I strongly suggest you look up these source, since I'm not going to do the basic legwork for you. Being on Google's search engine isn't a marketing strategy, because most of the time people use search engines to look for things they already know of and the small traffic you generate isn't going to help you getting propped up on these lists. I've worked for customers who's plan was like that, their online businesses are all gone now. I've also been part of the modding community for 20 years, as both a creator and user, and I've seen all little mod hideouts that I know off perish and evaporate.

So please, stop stating that creators can just cut ties with Nexus, that just any other file storage can replicate it, or postulate that content creators are, in actuality, doing the Nexus a big favor without getting anything in return. Because you should then rightfully be called out as a liar.

So now we have latest Nexus policy that means that some mod last updated 10 years ago, incompatible with official / unofficial patches will be kept up forever. Even if mod author himself recommends better supported, more compatible alternatives and would like to see his first attempt at modding gone, because it is written so badly that it is not fixable.

It'll be available for people that still use those old game versions or collaborative mod efforts that haven't had the time to upgrade to your latest version that might lead to incompatibilities. If people want your latest version, they can just grab it. It would be odd that the Nexus would not promote the latest stable version of your project, instead opting to promote the initial release at all times.

This versioning stuff is all pretty much standard IT stuff these days. You're acting like the sky is falling, but for the past few decades the professional world (of which I've been part of these past 8 years) has used package managers (tied to library repositories) to specify specific versions in different projects with so much success that it's become not just the standard, but the only standard.

Finally it's weird how in the first part you describe several git service providers, but in the second part you seem to completely forget how git is used by modern day developers.

Sorry for the long rant.

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
On the one hand, I can see how what Nexus is doing could be the start of a slippery slope - the Nexus subscription being the first step on this path, and now this. There's also the fact that some people may want to remove something they've created so it does not impact their personal/professional lives in a negative way.

On the other hand, a lot of modders are emotionally immature cunts, mentally ill leftists, autistic, sexual degenerates, furries, trannies et al and are prone to take all their stuff down whenever they forget to take their crazy/estrogen pills or someone dares criticize the garbage they shit out. It's not fair to users that have enjoyed in the past to be denied access to those mods just because the author is a little bitch.

All in all, I still support the decision from Nexus, if only because watching "that guy" modders going apeshit is hilarious.

Dodo1610

Arcane
What a load of shit, modders will still find a way to break their mods if they cannot delete them anymore. All that does is make people move away from Nexus and then we are back to the olden days where you had to check 10 different, often abandoned/offline websites to find mods.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
What a load of shit, modders will still find a way to break their mods if they cannot delete them anymore. All that does is make people move away from Nexus and then we are back to the olden days where you had to check 10 different, often abandoned/offline websites to find mods.

No, that is incorrect. Any entry in an archive is supposed to be immutable (unchangeable).

If they added a working version of a mod, that version will always work (disregarding outside factors e.g. new game versions). If they try to sabotage the mod later on, the sabotaged version will be a new entry that does not overwrite the previous entry. It'll simply have a different version number.

For example, if the initially available versions are as followed
  • version 1.0
  • version 1.3
  • version 1.9
  • version 2.0
If the mod author tries to upload a new version 1.0, that is sabotaged, a repository will accept it, but flag it a different version. For example :
  • version 1.0
  • version 1.0a
  • version 1.3
  • version 1.9
  • version 2.0
People that have it setup to use version 1.0, will keep getting the unmodified version 1.0 and not 1.0a. Should you say that this is too much of a hassle, then don't worry because package managers allow you to also define that you want the latest version of x, e.g. '1.*' will always grab the latest version starting with '1.'. Bad versions can be simply filtered out by the setup of colab mods, or Nexus's own tooling.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
This is a pretty scummy move, to be honest – if you create something and post it, with your account, on some platform, you should be able to delete it from there as well, regardless of the reason. On the other hand, it's not like anything ever really gets deleted that way – if even one user has your shit downloaded, he can just rehost it and no amount of REEEing you do will change anything about it, so it's not that big a deal. Still, Nexus restricting its users this way is nothing to cheer about, even if it concerns people you dislike.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So now we have latest Nexus policy that means that some mod last updated 10 years ago, incompatible with official / unofficial patches will be kept up forever. Even if mod author himself recommends better supported, more compatible alternatives and would like to see his first attempt at modding gone, because it is written so badly that it is not fixable.

And how is this a bad thing?

If he released something better by now, everyone can see his progress. That's a testament to his ability to learn and improve himself.

Where's the harm in having an old mod incompatible with the latest game version archived forever? People who really, really, really wanna check it out can roll back the game's update (for older games where patches came as installer packages that's very easy to do, for games on Steam there's also a rollback option) and try it out on an older version. For everyone else, it just sits there as a nice little historical document about the first steps of a now popular modder.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am beginning to think that it would be worthwhile to scientifically investigate the apparently inherent connection between modding/modders and drama.

There's definitely something there.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
This is a pretty scummy move, to be honest – if you create something and post it, with your account, on some platform, you should be able to delete it from there as well, regardless of the reason. On the other hand, it's not like anything ever really gets deleted that way – if even one user has your shit downloaded, he can just rehost it and no amount of REEEing you do will change anything about it, so it's not that big a deal. Still, Nexus restricting its users this way is nothing to cheer about, even if it concerns people you dislike.
Could you give a reason as to why it's scummy and why you'd like to remove the content you create from a service like the Nexus?

Because I'll cheer about this quite gladly. Users benefit from this greatly while content creators lose a tiny bit of freedom, that is questionable in the first place, and gain themselves unprecedented reliability on other people's stuff they depend on.

Just so you know, you're advocating against a mechanism that has become the standard in several industries and of which the benefits are undeniable. The gist of this is that modders are being subjected to modern IT ways of working, and retort that the sky will be falling. All while ignoring that a few decades have already passed since industries have adopted this way of working, and the sky didn't fall.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I am beginning to think that it would be worthwhile to scientifically investigate the apparently inherent connection between modding/modders and drama.

It's easy: The connection is Autism. And possibly a lack of social life (or any life at all).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

To be fair, there are plenty of decent well adjusted modders around, it's just the typical modders tend to overshadow them.

I remember a while back when I wanted to update a KCD mod to the newest version, the author gave me a ton of helpful advice on how to get it updated to the newest version, even thanked me for updating it and uploading it.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I've done some modding and I really like the idea of nothing being deletable, because it takes such a lot of work sometimes to find out how people did things, collate all the good ideas from various mods. etc.
I do value the right to be credited, but the "right to delete" cuts against something more fundamentally valuable than individual rights in this context, which is the mod itself. Ultimately modding is about the game and the players, not the modder.

passerby

Arcane
To be fair, there are plenty of decent well adjusted modders around, it's just the typical modders tend to overshadow them.

Most modders are great intelligent dudes, especially the ones that make patches, QoL features, game engine and gamepley overhauls.

Drama quens are minority and the most annoying of them, are some deranged trannies that are reponsible for the worst aspects of everything gaming related.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Most modders are great intelligent dudes, especially the ones that make patches, QoL features, game engine and gamepley overhauls.

Drama quens are minority and the most annoying of them, are some deranged trannies that are reponsible for the worst aspects of everything gaming related.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the modders who are up in arms about this and want the right to delete their own work are trannies.

Because trannies think about deleting themselves every day, so someone preventing them from performing a full deletion feels like taking away their rights :smug:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

They can still hide mods. You as a user downloading will only see the latest and greatest.
The reason for archiving old versions is to not break merged collections of mods. This is all driven by an API that you will never see when you use Vortex.

nexus is playing a dumb game here when ModDB exists, will willingly replace Nexus if it came to it and has no such restrictions on creators.
I'm not a fan of Nexus.

The average mod on ModDB gets like 200 downloads - do you really wanna play this game. Don't act like ModDB has no issues.
Why do you honestly hate Nexus other then "grr grr I'm riled up!" Have you ever made a mod before? How does this impact you?

Still, Nexus restricting its users this way is nothing to cheer about, even if it concerns people you dislike.

Okay but why is that a problem?
You can still hide your mods from users downloading them - you just can't completely yeet them as part of your mod may be a dependency for a load list which would completely fuck everyone.

When you delete Codex posts, or Facebook profiles orrr Youtube Comments or whatever.. Do you think they are really deleted? Genuinely curious.

Codex Year of the Donut
My most downloaded mod is nearing 200k(!) unique downloads. There's no way I could have ever gotten anywhere close to that without nexusmods, and especially not as easy as it is on nexusmods. I've even had my mods featured by nexusmods on their social media multiple times.

No, most modders will not go use a different site. Maybe a few crybabies will, and they'll be quickly forgotten.
NexusMods offers an excellent service for both people who use and create mods. I have no complaints.

Azdul

Magister
This versioning stuff is all pretty much standard IT stuff these days. You're acting like the sky is falling, but for the past few decades the professional world (of which I've been part of these past 8 years) has used package managers (tied to library repositories) to specify specific versions in different projects with so much success that it's become not just the standard, but the only standard.
How installing multiple mods should work:

Lazy option: Someone clearly obsessed and insane creates prepackaged mod pack that makes the gameplay harder and game world as big as possible - and over ten years fixes various incompatibilities between mods and bugs. Some mods are redistributed in slightly older versions - but the whole installation requires one download, does not require any knowledge about modding - just clicking 'Next' few times. No need for accounts, premium services and installation works completely offline.

Advanced option: Someone creates a platform to create your own compilation of best available mods - without worrying about compatibility, dependencies, using outdated versions and creating accounts on various easily hackable sites. Updating all mods to the latest versions takes only few seconds - because only deltas are downloaded from GitHub.

The problem is that Nexus does not want to be like package manager, and does not want to allow either of those two options.

You're not allowed to create and distribute your own mod pack. All mods have to be hosted and downloaded from Nexus. And Nexus wants to charge you extra for premium account if you want to automate even part of mod package installation (Automaton).

Of course Nexus cannot sell premium accounts if author can just delete his mod from Nexus which will break Automaton. And they cannot allow prepackaged mod packs with custom offline installers - which would be ideal for 95% of users - because it makes Nexus and its premium accounts pointless.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
My most downloaded mod is nearing 200k(!) unique downloads. There's no way I could have ever gotten anywhere close to that without nexusmods, and especially not as easy as it is on nexusmods. I've even had my mods featured by nexusmods on their social media multiple times.

No, most modders will not go use a different site. Maybe a few crybabies will, and they'll be quickly forgotten.

Nexus is pledging to get their compensation pool up to 7 figures a year. (Aka 1Mil +)

This has really tested the holier-than-thou persona's of bigger more popular mods.
Anyone with even a semi popular mod either never give a shit or is being eerily silent right now despite their protests in the "private forum".

Even LoversLab modders have been attempting to switch over to Nexus, one of the traditionally most anti-nexus Coommunities.
The ones who don't are usually unable to because their mods are so perverse that they aren't allowed.

Codex Year of the Donut
You're not allowed to create and distribute your own mod pack.
You aren't distributing a modpack at all to begin with, you're distributing metadata about what mods to install, conflict resolution, patches, etc.,
If you're referring to that... then yes, of course it can be distributed?
And Nexus wants to charge you extra for premium account if you want to automate even part of mod package installation
because it bypasses their ads which is their revenue stream and how they can afford to actually host those mods you dip

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep, give em a day of realising they are getting fuck all attention and downloads, they'll be back.

thesecret1

Arcane
Could you give a reason as to why it's scummy and why you'd like to remove the content you create from a service like the Nexus?
Sure. Let's say you're 18 and make a mod about RaHoWa or something of that sort. Fast forward 20 years, you are now running for a public office, when some journo gets an anonymous tip from a former friend of yours about a certain mod. There are good reasons to want your presence to be erased from the internet, be it politics, relationship (don't want your GF to find out that furry porn mod you made years ago), association (don't want anyone to find out you used to be a massive weeb!) or any reason at all, really. Mod makers work for free, to give people an opportunity to experience a game in a new way. You advocate punishing them for this so that whatever they made can be used against them at any point in the future. How is this not scummy? I swear, half the people here act as though modders are some massive assholes that are ruining their lives or something.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I deleted my mod for BGEE from BD's site because I hated the Beamdog scum who would benefit from it. I have to say i'm against this.

Codex Year of the Donut
Sure. Let's say you're 18 and make a mod about RaHoWa or something of that sort. Fast forward 20 years, you are now running for a public office, when some journo gets an anonymous tip from a former friend of yours about a certain mod. There are good reasons to want your presence to be erased from the internet, be it politics, relationship (don't want your GF to find out that furry porn mod you made years ago), association (don't want anyone to find out you used to be a massive weeb!) or any reason at all, really. Mod makers work for free, to give people an opportunity to experience a game in a new way. You advocate punishing them for this so that whatever they made can be used against them at any point in the future. How is this not scummy? I swear, half the people here act as though modders are some massive assholes that are ruining their lives or something.
solution:
don't go posting files on other people's servers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom