Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst Neyyah - Riven-like first-person adventure

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

Features
- Beautiful pre-rendered graphics, delivered with a high level of richness and realism.
- An original atmospheric soundtrack.
- Captivating sound design to bring you further into the world around you.
- An easy to use 2D style point and click interface, delivered with various cursor options so you'll always know what you are interacting with.
- Four movement transition settings: OFF / SPEED / NEUTRAL / RELAX, suited for each individual's style of gameplay.
- A 'Journey Mode' option, transitioning you through areas of the game, such as climbing up and down ladders, using immersive pre-rendered FMV sequences.
- A 'Faster Travel' mode, where you can skip ahead of certain scenes to be able to travel quicker through the world, enabling you to get to where you need to be more effectively.
Observe, take notes, think
Neyyah reflects similar situations depicted within our own society, such as what is real, what is false, and being able to question your own beliefs. Through environmental storytelling, the player will enjoy hours of non-linear gameplay, solving puzzles through the use of close observation, visual links, writing down your own notes, using inventory items … while immersing yourself in a rich story and environment driven game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I've been waiting for indie devs to get on the Myst-like train. Interesting that Microprose is publishing, they're not a name I associate with adventure games, well, good adventure games. Them publishing a Myst-like now feels like they're trying to make up for lost time.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Looks impressive, especially for a one-man project.
Yeah too much work for one man... I'm not sure if he can reach the greatness of Riven but even if it's half good compared to Riven, it's still a prestigious effort.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
More Myst-likes is certainly incline, but why do they all also have to copy Myst's (or in this case, Riven's) visual style?
I would guess because what people have always wanted out of a Myst-like is a strange alien world full of bizarre mechanical puzzles. Guess games like Safecracker never really captured people's imaginations like that.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I've been waiting for indie devs to get on the Myst-like train. Interesting that Microprose is publishing, they're not a name I associate with adventure games, well, good adventure games. Them publishing a Myst-like now feels like they're trying to make up for lost time.
You might be aware of it already but just in case.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/512790/Quern__Undying_Thoughts/
More Myst-likes is certainly incline, but why do they all also have to copy Myst's (or in this case, Riven's) visual style?
It's a very attractive style and when you see it you can usually immediately know what kind of game it is (could also be that it's easier, i assume outdoor scenarios with lots of rock formations and trees are easier to design/render than detailed interiors and so on), but yeah it would be nice to see more variety like there was back in the day.
last resort
9-the-last-resort-03.png

shivers 2
b99e5faa15955b94bb5db443005da7e96e20_1920xt1080_S1000.jpg

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Well, probably cuz the dev is a Rivenfag and he wants to make his own version of Riven.

I can't blame him for that, I'd do the same shit if I could, preferably with an ancient Greek architecture and mechanical puzzles inspired by the Antikythera mechanism and other peculiar devices. Probably I'd throw in some sci/fi shit about Dodekatheism into the mix.

It looks similar due to the interconnected islands and the abundance of water around you, but at the same time it has a different industrial/rusty style to it that somewhat sets it apart from Riven, which imo felt more exotic/tribalistic.

Since the dev is a Britt, it's obvious that he also took inspiration from his local architecture, like various old brick buildings, Martello towers, and all sorts of Napoleonic structures.

You can clearly see that the decaying grit/wood work and rusted metal environment and machinery is quite different than Riven's.

Visuals aside, another thing I like about the game is the addition of an inventory which reminds me of Lighthouse: The Dark Being, a beloved and prestigious Sierra Myst-like.

V_K

Arcane
it has a different industrial/rusty style to it that somewhat sets it apart from Riven
It's funny you say that because to me the things in the trailer that scream Riven the most are exactly all those rusty pipes and railings and metal bridges across hills.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
It's funny you say that because to me the things in the trailer that scream Riven the most are exactly all those rusty pipes and railings and metal bridges across hills.
Pipes are just pipes, I don't instantly think of Riven when I see pipes. Though large railings traversing above scattered interconnected islands and hills, they scream Riven. Dunno how the final game will look like since the dude is constantly updating it, for now the decaying environment and the use of muted colors make it look "dirtier" than Riven.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Second main piece of music reveal - "The Bululba Pools"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom