Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NHL 2004 Rebuilt

Krivol

Magister
We had some nice nostalgia with Patrick Roy pictures in some other thread ( http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ead-begging-is-a-minor-offense.78755/page-575 ) so I decided to reinstall the best PC hockey game so far - NHL 2004 with rebuilt mod.

I am not sure if you are familliar with this small masterpiece, but there are plenty of versions of this mod for different seasons, so you can play with Colorado Avalanche with Roy as a goalie (and with Joe Sakic :bounce: ).

In my opinion NHL 2004 is the best EA created and/or published in this century, and it's probably just some luck. Game is quite hard (yup, no easy wins from the start) and you can still make it harder (there are plenty of settings) and even if one-timers are game-breaking easy to score, you can still change your pass-assistance and kill that exploit.

Few links below:
http://z15.invisionfree.com/NHL04Rebuilt/index.php?s=3ea13bbcd87e88bbb1e60ec60dd50ccb&showtopic=2 Season 95-96,96-97,97-98 & 98-99 Conversion Mods

http://z15.invisionfree.com/NHL04Rebuilt/index.php?showtopic=1 Settings for current rooster.

You can find some screenshots and yt movies there.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
It's the best NHL game for the PC alright, but I don't think it means all that much. What the mod basically does is increase "realism" by making movement as sluggish as possible, increasing the amount of blocked shots to absurd levels and introducing prison rules so that someone is always hooking or holding someone without being penalized for it. It can also be broken almost as quickly as the vanilla game because the game's poorly balanced and full of exploits.

I usually played these games with Colorado too because their roster from around the turn of the century was just sick.

Krivol

Magister
Well, I really can't compare it to any 2K or next gen EA console game as I've never had a console (except Pong, but it does not count I believe) , but if you compare it to last NHL on PC (09) it's heven.

I am not sure if they did something with movement and blocks as game seems a bit faster now and on 6 min per period I was able to score 3 goals (and conceded 2). Sin bin was in use almost all the time, but I am quite sure that you can adjust all those stats in game settings (I mean less penalties, more agility for players, faster game speed).

Tom Selleck

Arcane
I have all the NHL games from '98 to '05 or so for PC kicking around here somewhere, and will see if I can dig them out and give this a shot.

I probably played 10,000 hours of NHL '98 when everyone else was doing smooches and drinking a beer for the first time.

Man, that NHL 04 intro. A bunch of dead-eyed goofs. LOL @ David Aebischer.

Krivol

Magister
I have all the NHL games from '98 to '05 or so for PC kicking around here somewhere, and will see if I can dig them out and give this a shot.

I probably played 10,000 hours of NHL '98 when everyone else was doing smooches and drinking a beer for the first time.

My first one was 97' and I loved it (Messier!), I skipped 98' and sunk in 99 - best intro ever IMO:

2000 was nice too.Then 2004 (great one but damn hard) and 09 (mistake on PC, I won first game 4-0 or sth)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom