Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch invades Codexia!

Would you play this game?

• No, what the fuck is this weaboo shit?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes this looks great I will play it SEVEN TIMES

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Not sure will wait for reviews

• 0/10 OP is a consoletard newfag

• Total voters

pipka

Savant
Mortmal said:
Mrowak said:
Mortmal said:
Pstt , i dont hate FF12 either, but its not socially acceptable to say so in this board.The best is obviously FF7 although aerie death make girlfriends cry :). Now that i think about someone next to me at work named her pcs by FF7 character names... its creepy here.

Like it used to be socially acceptable to say you like jRPGs on this board. I hope you are trolling with FF7, though.

No no, its true women gamers absolutely love FF7, therefore it must be the best of them. Remember JRPG cater to a japanese women audience first.Right now my colleague laptop, is named aeris.
Tell her about this place. I'd connect my redxii to her aeris if you know what I mean.

hoopy said:
Yes, there were quite a lot of JRPGs made for the SNES that looked like anime and were made in collaboration with Studio Ghibli.

This doesn't look that good that it could pass as actual cartoon animation so it's not any more anime than Chrono Trigger. And I don't care about some studio whatever, it doesn't change how this looks.

hoopy

Savant
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
hoopy said:
Yes, there were quite a lot of JRPGs made for the SNES that looked like anime and were made in collaboration with Studio Ghibli.

This doesn't look that good that it could pass as actual cartoon animation so it's not any more anime than Chrono Trigger.
:retarded:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Never played IX but VII and VIII were both awful - though X took the cake. I only played XII for maybe twenty minutes but was not impressed and the stupid child protagonist looked like Michael Jackson ensured that I didn't want to play it more either.

Out of the 18 playable characters in VI, exactly two were teenagers. I wish that sort of ratio came back but what with all the worshipping of youthfulness that propagates Japanese society, I won't hold my breath.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
hoopy said:
Raghar said:
It looks like they tried to made it too much like an anime. The cell shaded graphics doesn't work well in combination with the environment around.
Well if it works in anime and the game looks like anime, what's the problem?
Look at this anime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFrKMHD5xUg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlBuu0o5 ... age#t=336s

And compare it to this game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... a-scE#t=9s
They are completely flat, which is problem in a 3D game. In fact they look like DS game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -scE#t=49s
There one of main characters look like a blob. Look at that person on the left, he looks like developers spend significantly more time on him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -scE#t=41s
Few sprites are walking on a desert. Chrono Cross had them as well, however it was a PSX game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -scE#t=81s
D. rip off.
Considering D. is a crap, they are guilty of ripping a crap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... scE#t=112s
Doesn't work well with rest of the game, her design is too different than style of the rest of the style of the game.
Compare her to this girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QbzfSeh ... page#t=57s
In contrast to what looks like a main boss, that girl from the anime looks dangerous, pissed, in pain because of that dog...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fIIkvQmthzM/T ... d+girl.jpg
Here she looks like a boss significantly more than boss of that game...

http://img2.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.222415098.jpg

Here is yet another character who looks much better than boss in that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... scE#t=100s
Thought I must admit that cat looks nice and fits in. Had they spend about as much effort on other characters and to avoid bad combination of cell shading and common graphics effects, they might have something nice. (as long as they wouldn't screw up the story)

The whole story looks like they are trying to aim it at a younger audience. Which might be pretty bad idea. Remember Star Ocean 3. (or two most hated characters from FF XII)
If it's anything like most Ghibli movies, it'll be appropriate for all ages. I don't think Ghibli is involved with the writing, though I would imagine Level 5 tried to closely emulate their movies (hence the partnership).

Ghibli. That reminded me of something. They are that company which creates all these movies full of eyes and...
http://www.zerochan.net/full/561127

anus_pounder

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
Never played IX but VII and VIII were both awful - though X took the cake. I only played XII for maybe twenty minutes but was not impressed and the stupid child protagonist looked like Michael Jackson ensured that I didn't want to play it more either.

Out of the 18 playable characters in VI, exactly two were teenagers. I wish that sort of ratio came back but what with all the worshipping of youthfulness that propagates Japanese society, I won't hold my breath.

Does this really take place in jap society ? Sounds interesting. Have more info ?

hoopy

Savant
Raghar said:
hoopy said:
Raghar said:
It looks like they tried to made it too much like an anime. The cell shaded graphics doesn't work well in combination with the environment around.
Well if it works in anime and the game looks like anime, what's the problem?
Look at this anime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFrKMHD5xUg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlBuu0o5 ... age#t=336s

And compare it to this game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... a-scE#t=9s
They are completely flat, which is problem in a 3D game. In fact they look like DS game.
First you said the problem is the game looks too much like an anime, now the problem is t it doesn't look anime enough. Which is it?

Black Cat

Magister
@ Raghar

Anime is not an art style but a medium, Raghar. Meaning there are many different styles and many different variations of styles. The game is trying to follow Studio Ghibli's style, and doing a fine work at it.

Cynic

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
GarfunkeL said:

Does this really take place in jap society ? Sounds interesting. Have more info ?

I'd say this is a bit of an incorrect statement. Japan idolizes youth no more than Western societies. In fact older people are given much more respect and consideration than in the West. The game companies have just found their market and are selling aggressively to it, just like Gears of War etc., does in the West.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Cynic said:
anus_pounder said:
GarfunkeL said:

I'd say this is a bit of an incorrect statement. Japan idolizes youth no more than Western societies. In fact older people are given much more respect and consideration than in the West. The game companies have just found their market and are selling aggressively to it, just like Gears of War etc., does in the West.
It'd be more accurate to say that the segregation between "youth culture" and "old people culture" in Japan is almost total.

But the culture does place a LOT of admiration on youthful qualities like virility and fitness, and their ideal male is quite different from the West (their reaction to Gears of War characters would be "what a bunch of faggots", as bodybuilding and bulging muscles are considered very homosexual over there).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Black Cat said:
And then all of KKKodexia is fixed on this or that instead of discussing the involvement of Studio Ghibli.
I have to comment on this, since I had an almost fapping heart attack when I saw Ghibli mentioned in the OP. I have mixed feelings after seeing the video though. In parts the art style is pure Ghibli and I was almost drooling. In other parts it's... not as interesting (specifically the bits with the kid hero making heroic poses. Ugh). The animation itself looks awkward too. And then any excitement I had died when I found out it was PS3 exclusive. Bleh.

Though if any of my consoletard friends get it (highly unlikely, as they're the DAO/Transformers/FF type) I will definitely rush to theirs to see it.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sceptic said:
Black Cat said:
And then all of KKKodexia is fixed on this or that instead of discussing the involvement of Studio Ghibli.
I have to comment on this, since I had an almost fapping heart attack when I saw Ghibli mentioned in the OP. I have mixed feelings after seeing the video though. In parts the art style is pure Ghibli and I was almost drooling. In other parts it's... not as interesting (specifically the bits with the kid hero making heroic poses. Ugh). The animation itself looks awkward too. And then any excitement I had died when I found out it was PS3 exclusive. Bleh.

Though if any of my consoletard friends get it (highly unlikely, as they're the DAO/Transformers/FF type) I will definitely rush to theirs to see it.

My sentiment exactly. The game looks neat as hell, but I won't be playing it, unless we are talking about DS version. Heroic poses were also pretty derp - they don't fit into Ghibli's image. The music, on the other hand, is sheer awesome :love:

lightbane

Arcane
It's a damn shame that it's PS3 only. Oh well, at least there's the DS version...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It doesn't look like they're localising the DS version, though. :(

Meaning it's going to take quite some time for a fan translation (based on the official PS3 one) to show up. If it ever shows up at all.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
anus_pounder said:
GarfunkeL said:

The weeaboos at uni, who really are japanophiles, always say that in Japan, the ideal sexualized female is clearly/obviously younger looking than in the West and that looking cute/kawaii and childish is more important than looking sexy&mature.

Physical attractiveness
In Japan, cuteness is expected of men and women.[13] There is a trend of men shaving their legs to mimic the "asexual" look.[13] Many Japanese men are drawn to the owner of cute merchandise, because it is reminiscent of little girls,[14] and Japanese women try to act cute to attract men.[13] A study by Kanebo, a cosmetic company, found that Japanese women in their 20s and 30s favored the "cute look" with a "childish round face".[8]

As a cultural phenomenon, cuteness is increasingly accepted in Japan as a part of Japanese culture and national identity. Tomoyuki Sugiyama 杉山奉文 (Sugiyama Tomoyuki?), author of "Cool Japan", believes that "cuteness" is rooted in Japan's harmony-loving culture, and Nobuyoshi Kurita 栗田経惟 (Kurita Nobuyoshi?), a sociology professor at Musashi University in Tokyo, has stated that "cute" is a "magic term" that encompasses everything that's acceptable and desirable in Japan.[24]

The kawaii (cute) style is extremely popular in Japan, where it is present in many of the manga/anime styles.[13] The school-age girl in a school uniform is also an erotic symbol in Japan.[14] Burusera shops cater to men with lolicon complexes by selling unwashed panties, men can make dates with teenagers through terekura (telephone clubs),[15] and some schoolgirls moonlight as prostitutes.[16] Sharon Kinsella observed an increase in unsubstantiated accounts of schoolgirl prostitution in the media in the late 1990s, and speculated that these unproven reports developed in counterpoint to the increased reporting on comfort women. She speculated that, "It may be that the image of happy girls selling themselves voluntarily cancels out the other guilty image".[17]

In Japan, a junior idol (ジュニアアイドル junia aidoru?), alternatively chidol (チャイドル chaidoru?) or low teen idol (ローティーンアイドル rōtīn aidoru?), is primarily defined as a child or early teenager pursuing a career as a photographic model (this includes both gravure and AV).
Child actors, and J-pop singers (whose musical genre is often termed idol pop) can also be considered junior idols, and are often featured in photobooks and image DVDs.
Female fashion models (not to be confused with glamour models including gravure idols) also begin their careers typically at age 13 - 15, but are usually not considered junior idols.

Buying a cake for Christmas is a Japanese tradition. Unfortunately, no matter how tasty a Christmas cake is, no one wants it after December 25th. And no matter how attractive a woman is, it's said, no Japanese male will want to marry her after she's 25. Thus, "Christmas Cake" is used as a metaphor term for what Western audiences might call an "Old Maid."

A wildly popular trope in Japanese Pop Music is the "Idol Singer" — a teenage or early twentysomething female performer, chosen for her cute and attractive image and sunny personality more than for her actual singing ability. Idol Singers are recruited by multi-level audition processes, manufactured and managed by Japanese media companies, and ruthlessly discarded after a few years of cranking out formulaic hits. Sometimes, idol singers don't actually sing (like Milli Vanilli). Originally Idol Singer was also supposed to be pure and innocent, and her contract could well include an article of her not being allowed to have a boyfriend. However, after the 80s this trend has withered, and more modern idols are likely to be seen in cheesecake, or even raunchier photos.

Hmm, can't find the one article which really hammered the point down. I wasn't saying that they don't respect elders but that significant portion of Japanese audience worship childishness, youthfulness and similar attributes - more so than in the West. Which means that getting RPGs whose protagonists are in their thirties or even obviously adult, is rare. Not impossible, just rare.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
GarfunkeL said:
Let me streamline this for the Codex:

305376-beni_cvs2_fl_large.jpg

^
Manly hetesexual man whose good with the ladies

Duke_Nukem_3D_Coverart.png

^
Flaming homosexual

hoopy

Savant
GarfunkeL said:
The weeaboos at uni, who really are japanophiles, always say that in Japan, the ideal sexualized female is clearly/obviously younger looking than in the West and that looking cute/kawaii and childish is more important than looking sexy&mature.
It's actually the West that's unusual with its pedophilia hysteria and preoccupation with sluttiness and "mature" women. Japan is just more normal than us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom