Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nice CryEngine2 "real-time demo" commercial for GD

Herbert West

Arbiter
Hehe the teapot primitive :lol:

I wasn't hugely surprised by that demo to be honest. Properly using CE2 abilities like ambient occlusion along with good shaders can yeld pretty spectacular results. This though gets me thinking about people advocating wholly ray traced realtime graphics in PC games- what's the point if rasterisation can be that good?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Herbert West said:
This though gets me thinking about people advocating wholly ray traced realtime graphics in PC games- what's the point if rasterisation can be that good?

The often quoted e-penis.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
fastpunk said:
That scene they prepared doesn't do much justice to the engine's power.

But speaking of game engines, Epic has updated Unreal Engine 3 with some impressive features. I think this might be less boring to watch than a teapot invasion:

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=11589
Oh my god his voice is so stereotypically nerdy. He sounds like an obese peurto rican homosexual who just walked up a flight of steps.

fastpunk

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Oh my god his voice is so stereotypically nerdy. He sounds like an obese peurto rican homosexual who just walked up a flight of steps.

And the relevance of that is... :?:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is that actually in engine? It looks good when it's not moving, but everything becomes extremely blurred either wise. What's up with that?

Deleted member 7219

Its the lighting effects that make the game look blurry. Crysis is full of them.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Crysis has camera motion blur [screen blurs when you move the camera] as well as vector motion blur [fast moving objects blur independently of the camera]. Or it's just the video. Anyway I dislike camera motion blur extremely, doesn't add anything to the experience, it's just annoying.

Oh and about that UE3 demo linked above, ambient occlusion is good. But the most interesting thing in there is the physics advancements. Soft body physics as well as destructible enviroments [concrete walls, pillars etc] could potentially require hardware accelerated physics. UE3 uses Ageia PhysX. Ageia has just got borged by nVidia. Now all 8x00 cards are going to get PhysX acceleration via a driver update. I smell "The Way it's meant to be played" lobbying here...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Herbert West said:
UE3 uses Ageia PhysX. Ageia has just got borged by nVidia. Now all 8x00 cards are going to get PhysX acceleration via a driver update. I smell "The Way it's meant to be played" lobbying here...

Who cares? Having a 2nd graphics card for Physics only always seemed retarded to me. I was quite sure it would never work out and last long.

Raapys

Arcane
Why is it most games' physics system appears to be running in slow-motion? Anyway, motion blur suck. You can usually disable it though, at least in Crysis.

Wasting a whole graphics card just on physics seems very excessive. I'd much rather they implemented support for physics running on a CPU core; the future being multi-core and all.

Speaking of which, I read somewhere that the upcoming game Sacred 2 would have physics on leaves and stuff on the ground, enabling it to be disturbed by movement and such. This would apparantly take up a full cpu core; on consoles. They weren't going to bring it over to the pc as they didn't think enough people would have a quadcore cpu.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Er . . . reading the comments here, I suspect that most of you haven't seen the original video this is parodying/imitating.

When Sony launched the BRAVIA (LCD television) in a few years ago (2005, maybe?) they made an advertisement made by dropping 250,000 colored bouncy balls down a street in San Francisco, and filming it with a number of cameras. It was a minor Internet sensation before it even aired, with lots of photos and blogs by people who witnessed the event. I don't remember when they first aired it on TV . . . probably the Superbowl? Anyway, it's just a 2 minute video of thousands of bouncy balls bouncing in slow motion down a hill in San Fransisco with a pretty acoustic song played over it . . . no computer graphics, and no mention of the TV at all. It's really quite nice . . . I'd say it's one of my all time favorite commercials.

Anyway, watch the original video on YouTube, or in much better quality at the Sony site. It's pretty awesome to see at least once, and definitely made me appreciate the CryEngine2 demo more than I otherwise would have.

EDIT: The frog at about 1:40 kicks ass . . . I assume it must have been placed there or something. Otherwise that's just too damn lucky, considering they only dropped the balls once.

golgotha

Liturgist
Makes me wonder just how many GTX's they needed to run that... Crysis has terrible performance.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It looks unnatural. Like they're bouncing wrong or not really bouncing at all.

Herbert West

Arbiter
thesheeep said:
Herbert West said:
UE3 uses Ageia PhysX. Ageia has just got borged by nVidia. Now all 8x00 cards are going to get PhysX acceleration via a driver update. I smell "The Way it's meant to be played" lobbying here...

Who cares? Having a 2nd graphics card for Physics only always seemed retarded to me. I was quite sure it would never work out and last long.

You do not need two GeForce 8x00 graphics cards to do hardware PhysX, you will make do with just one, that will compute graphic workload as well as execute physics calculations.
Nvidia just has to release a new driver sporting this feature. GPU performance while doing mixed graphics/physics workload is a mystery though. One will surely benefit from SLI, but it's not required.
This is important from ATI vs Nvidia [vs Intel who bought Havoc and will release a GPU] point of view. ATI/AMD is fucked when it comes to GPU physics for now.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I know ^^

I didn't disagree with you or something like that. I was just implying that it was clear from the beginning that Ageia wouldn't last that long (at least not independant).

Herbert West

Arbiter
Oh sorry then :lol:

Ageia was most probably created from the very start with selling out in mind, nothing bad in it. Knowing that we can say it was a very succesful enterprise.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
golgotha said:
Makes me wonder just how many GTX's they needed to run that... Crysis has terrible performance.

Really? It seems do do fine on my PC which is no beast by any means, even though the components are recent (E6750 and 8800GT).

DarkUnderlord said:
It looks unnatural. Like they're bouncing wrong or not really bouncing at all.

Apparently, they're not bouncing. Someone, somwhere, pointed out that the balls dissapear through the ground and at the top of the screen from time to time. Which could be a sneaky way of getting good FPS while tricking the viewer into thinking it's all real-time physics.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Ivy Mike said:
golgotha said:

Really? It seems do do fine on my PC which is no beast by any means, even though the components are recent (E6750 and 8800GT).

i think its an internet law that everytime someone mentions crysis, someone else has to point out the game is badly optimized and needs a 3000$ + PC to run despite its been proven over and over that this is.... totall bullshit.

as for the video.... really impressive though i cared less about the bouncing teapots but more about how great the city looked. hope they make that level and the assets available for download to use with the sandbox editor.

what i love the most about cryengine2 aint the graphics/physics(though obviously awesome) anyway .... its how easy to use and yet powerfull the editor is.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
So how far are we from full photorealism? It looks like we are getting pretty close with these demos. I ask because I want to be sure the next rig I buy will last much longer than anything previous and I don't want to spend so much money upgrading my video card again.

psycojester

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
fastpunk said:
That scene they prepared doesn't do much justice to the engine's power.

But speaking of game engines, Epic has updated Unreal Engine 3 with some impressive features. I think this might be less boring to watch than a teapot invasion:

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=11589

Be honest, this really has no relevance to the subject, you just saw it and thought it would make a great simile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom