Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR Replicant ver. 1.22474487139 announced for PC/PS4/XBO

GewuerzKahn

Savant
but right now it feels like the challenge is an endurance and patience test
Doing all sidequests is the real endurance and patience test.

I thought I would hate brother Nier, but I really like him.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
First portion of the game seems very tedious and spongy in some fights, but considering that you're fighting with lv1 weapons and some weapon basetypes unavaialble yet, it gets a lot better once you gain access to these. Its less an issue of the spongy-ness of the fights, and more about the fairly simplistic boss-design that shows the age of the game very clearly.

Replaying this makes you appreciate the RPGs of old that were less cinematic and action-oriented than most RPGs are these days, where the games had more of an adventure feel to it and reminded you a bit more of a typical tabletop party overcoming a variety of different situations, instead of just smashing your way through all your problems.

Thorakitai

Learned
Doing all sidequests is the real endurance and patience test.

I thought I would hate brother Nier, but I really like him.

It helps the remaster makes his hair look less like a Cloud Strife reject-look like (his pre-time skip look) in the original game.

Visperas

Augur
I tried Normal but was too easy so I'm back on Hard. I toggled on the health bar for enemies and that actually helped alleviate the sponginess a bit.

distant

Learned
Can anyone be a bit more specific on the changes they made in regards to the gameplay/combat mechanics? Played the original and really liked it so a replay would be contingent on the gameplay being strong enough to sustain my trip down memory lane.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can anyone be a bit more specific on the changes they made in regards to the gameplay/combat mechanics? Played the original and really liked it so a replay would be contingent on the gameplay being strong enough to sustain my trip down memory lane.

You can now do both magic and melee attacks at same time
can charge magic while running around or fighting (and it imbues into your attack)
better animations
you can switch weapons without going through the menu
combat feels faster and more fluid (due to the previous things mentioned)

also weiss is always out hovering around you now not just when you do magic attacks so he's hanging out, it's nice...

there's also a new mission, a new ending and the original DLC is included as far as other reasons to replay

Last edited:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
The temple trials in the desert brought me close to dropping the game.
It's one thing having challenges and it's another struggling with the controls.
I applaud the idea of something different but I guess the implementation was considered ok for the ps3 era.
On the other hand I enjoyed the cube boss.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The temple trials in the desert brought me close to dropping the game.
It's one thing having challenges and it's another struggling with the controls.
I applaud the idea of something different but I guess the implementation was considered ok for the ps3 era.
On the other hand I enjoyed the cube boss.

lol what trial filtered you...

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You can now do both magic and melee attacks at same time
can charge magic while running around or fighting (and it imbues into your attack)
better animations
you can switch weapons without going through the menu
combat feels faster and more fluid (due to the previous things mentioned)

also weiss is always out hovering around you now not just when you do magic attacks so he's hanging out, it's nice...

there's also a new mission, a new ending and the original DLC is included as far as other reasons to replay
DLC on PS3 was a gift from the heavens back in the day. Made getting the platinum a lot easier

v1rus

Arcane
Since there is no dedicated Drakengard thread, Im posting here.

I finally started my playthrough of Drakengard, and so far, so good. That trash grindy combat even has sorta meditative lament about it, I dont know. Ill be going for all endings (so collecting all weapons) and then moving through the rest of series in order - Drakengard, Nier replicant verwhatever, Drakengard 3, Nier automata.

Im prolly gonna burn out bad, and skip Drakengard 2, but if I dont - is the game really absolutely skipable like everyone on this forum (and of it) says? I know, I know, Yoko Taro didnt work on it, but that doesnt mean its not part of the canon/couldnt become part of the canon.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This is a nice game, I got ending A and will leave it for a bit.

I was really enjoying the sidequests and was a bit disappointed when they got so grindy (10 titanium? 5 breem? Fuck right off) but definitely a nice 20 hour experience.

Also games need more crochety grumps like Weiss and foul mouthed bitches like Kainé, perfect foil for revolting anime perkiness.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Sidequests being grindy and boring is intentional, you're meant to care for Yonah and the plot rather than waste time growing stuff in real time. I would advise to avoid the boring ones and do the others, or keep going with the main plot.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Sidequests being grindy and boring is intentional, you're meant to care for Yonah and the plot rather than waste time growing stuff in real time. I would advise to avoid the boring ones and do the others, or keep going with the main plot.

It's kind of a pity though because the simpler ones were doing a great job of drawing me into the world. I would have at least liked to finish the fishing quests, that was chill.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Since there is no dedicated Drakengard thread, Im posting here.

I finally started my playthrough of Drakengard, and so far, so good. That trash grindy combat even has sorta meditative lament about it, I dont know. Ill be going for all endings (so collecting all weapons) and then moving through the rest of series in order - Drakengard, Nier replicant verwhatever, Drakengard 3, Nier automata.

Im prolly gonna burn out bad, and skip Drakengard 2, but if I dont - is the game really absolutely skipable like everyone on this forum (and of it) says? I know, I know, Yoko Taro didnt work on it, but that doesnt mean its not part of the canon/couldnt become part of the canon.
You should have started Drakengard 3 first, but the story is so detached with the different timelines it doesn't matter when you play it technically. Ideally you would play Drakengard 3, Drakengard 1, Nier, Nier Automata and Drakengard 2 just for the lulz. Though you won't miss anything by not playing Drakengard 2.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

Thing was that the simpler ones were doing a great job of drawing me into the world. It's nice to have some secondary stuff to do around the place.

I had to ditch them after arriving at Two Brothers to fetch a set of steak knives and the bastard demanding 10 titanium in order to craft them. I want to help out but that was a tall order for very little payoff.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I like the side quests, even got the sheep killer achievement.
But a second playthrough is a no go. The tree is trolling me and I will not be reading the randomized numbers to answer the question.

lightbane

Arcane
You can check the LP of Dark Id for Nier then, he covers all sidequests, so you can check what happens and that's it. Or use "special tools" to edit the necessary grinding materials into your inventory.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
It's funny seeing people talk about this game now and call it a "masterpiece." wut? It's kind of shitty. Interesting, cool ideas, one-of-a-kind... but still shitty.

Combat is button mashing, leveling is not rewarding, game doesn't respect your time, backtracking and fetchquests out the wazoo, world design is tiny and bland, story is okay-ish. About the only thing it has going for it is fun characters and the gimmick of switching genres. It's a like a b-movie-- like it for what it is but don't expect something amazing. People only jumping on the bandwagon now because of Auto-tomato memes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, unlike all these posers, I liked Nier *before* it was cool. :dealwithit:

Is the game balanced or like Automata where it's either too easy or too hard depending on difficulty?

If it's like the original then you can level all you want and it never makes much difference, like the enemies are scaled.

That said the game is generally easy except for the side quests which are aggravating for reasons beyond damage numbers.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
The one thing really missing was a proper door opening loading screen in the mansion.

Where did the money go Yuko? We need to see your receipts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom