Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR Replicant ver. 1.22474487139 announced for PC/PS4/XBO

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
imagine preferring the objectively incorrect and inferior papa nier just because its lol so weird and quirky (and you're racist to anime)

thank god im not one of those retards. dubs are so much more vomit-inducing than androgynous teenagers could ever be

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
imagine preferring the objectively incorrect and inferior papa nier just because its lol so weird and quirky (and you're racist to anime)
I realize there's like a 60% chance of this being bait but:
For a lot of people a father/daughter relationship is very different from a brother/sister relationship, especially in regards to how responsible the man can be expected to be for the girl.

And since Nier is about the man *failing* to take care of the girl the father/daughter version will resonate a lot more than the brother/sister due to the above. It's fine if you don't agree, but I think it is a completely valid preference.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
For a lot of people a father/daughter relationship is very different from a brother/sister relationship, especially in regards to how responsible the man can be expected to be for the girl.

And since Nier is about the man *failing* to take care of the girl the father/daughter version will resonate a lot more than the brother/sister due to the above. It's fine if you don't agree, but I think it is a completely valid preference.

Also the bit where he gets upset over the sister having a pen pal boyfriend would make a lot more sense in a father-daughter context.

Though I guess essentially, the brother has adopted a fatherly role anyway making the whole distinction kind of pointless.

Delterius

Arcane

thank god im not one of those retards. dubs are so much more vomit-inducing than androgynous teenagers could ever be
i hope you're real despite your name

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Also the bit where he gets upset over the sister having a pen pal boyfriend would make a lot more sense in a father-daughter context.

Though I guess essentially, the brother has adopted a fatherly role anyway making the whole distinction kind of pointless.
That line was changed from the original.

I know everyone here played Gestalt and it can't be helped that it's the only version anyone knows, but Replicant really does make more sense. People make the claim that the brother/sister dynamic doesn't feel right, and while it's a kind of cultural difference, I think it doesn't really matter as much in the context of this game. Nier doesn't have anything else to live for, why would he not care about his sister? And as a teenager he probably doesn't really know what he should be doing anyway. He's forced by circumstances to take on responsibilities a naive anime boy isn't ready for and that's exactly why he fails. They translated as much of this as they could to the father character, but some things inevitably don't work as well. The silly chores, the time-skip, and so on. It's about the loss of innocence and other fabulously gay nonsense like that. When you slap an old guy on it, aren't you losing something, more than what you're gaining? Not that anyone had a choice at the time, of course, but claiming that it's better is objectively false. Yes, really. The problem isn't that I think a story involving an androgynous anime boy is better, rather that originals are superior, and Gestalt is like that mod everyone installs thinking it doesn't change anything but it does.

Delterius

Arcane

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
It's about the loss of innocence and other fabulously gay nonsense like that.
you do know young nier was a gay prostitute who murdered people before right
it's like that thing unreal was talking about
and yet the character still acts like he's full of innocence in the game

i dunno brother sister relationship is super cliche its kinda dumb so i dont like it
it's almost like only what was actually included in the game matters or something

i too believe families are retarded we should get rid of them

Delterius

Arcane
It's about the loss of innocence and other fabulously gay nonsense like that.
you do know young nier was a gay prostitute who murdered people before right
it's like that thing unreal was talking about
and yet the character still acts like he's full of innocence in the game

i dunno brother sister relationship is super cliche its kinda dumb so i dont like it
it's almost like only what was actually included in the game matters or something

i too believe families are retarded we should get rid of them
yoko taro has never done anything wrong in his life

hes also listed as a movie director in portuguese google search thats kinda funny

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The silly chores, the time-skip, and so on.
Considering that the chores frequently involve venturing out into the overworld which is infested with murderous shades, I kinda feel those make more sense for a muscular adult than an androgynous teenager. Sending a weak teenager to do those feels kind of like an elaborate assassination scheme. But gameplay gonna gameplay of course.

Speaking of original superiority, I also feel making Nier a typical anime swordfighter kinda also reduces the quality a bit. In the original, most of your actual fighting power came from Weiss (and the spear dash). I haven't played the remake, but I suspect making the combat more fluid, responsive, etc kinda detracts from the idea that Nier is by far the weakest member of his band.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Considering that the chores frequently involve venturing out into the overworld which is infested with murderous shades, I kinda feel those make more sense for a muscular adult than an androgynous teenager. Sending a weak teenager to do those feels kind of like an elaborate assassination scheme. But gameplay gonna gameplay of course.
I suppose that's true, but then, it also still fits with his needing to take every job, despite how dangerous or stupid it might be. He goes into everything with the power of anime optimism... and then it doesn't work and everyone is disappointed! That was the best part, really.

Speaking of original superiority, I also feel making Nier a typical anime swordfighter kinda also reduces the quality a bit. In the original, most of your actual fighting power came from Weiss (and the spear dash). I haven't played the remake, but I suspect making the combat more fluid, responsive, etc kinda detracts from the idea that Nier is by far the weakest member of his band.
I was also thinking, it gives more of a contrast between him Kaine, who's more masculine than he is, at first. That also makes me think, this game is drowning in androgyny, isn't it? Even if you change the protagonist, it's still fantastically gay. Interesting.

Well, I know all this stuff is just another variation on anime cliches everyone hates, but come on guise, animes is awsumz. And westerners have all their own cliches that are off-putting, too, so...

Lincolnberry

Educated
Made it all the way thru the Route B ending and decided to watch the rest on youtube. I'm still very impressed by this game and would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys an interesting story and with a little bit of patience, but I'm not sure I want to play it anymore after the second go thru.

Looking forward to trying out Automata, after a break.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Automata is easily played thrice but it's a newer game. Replicant was good for it's time but it can't hide the fact that it was a ps3 game.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
my favourite part was the robot dungeon i had to replay a hundred times!
and the fishing!
oh, and who could forget the gardening!

edit: I don't know what TheImplodingRetard thinks is so retarded, I'm 100% serious.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Automata is easily played thrice but it's a newer game. Replicant was good for it's time but it can't hide the fact that it was a ps3 game.
Imo, playing through the entire game again in automata was not a great time.

Playing through nier 4 times(?) to get the true ending seems like a miserable time.

tet666

Augur
I prefer emulating the original.

I don't really see the point i mean the remake is petty much exactly the same game with less shitty combat and a bit prettier graphics. There is even a somewhat functional Papa Nier mod now if you prefer playing as him.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not as polished as Automata, but this was still great. Noticeably easier than Automata which was surprising; was that because of the improved combat or was the original game also like this? The most demanding section was the boss rush that ended the final DLC dungeon, but I still cleared it on my first try on normal (which is fine with me, since I wouldn't be thrilled with having to replay that entire section over again if I had lost).

Soundtrack seemed great to me, but I'll have to listen to the original tracks to see if the originals are in fact superior. I was surprised/disappointed that they included Automata's soundtrack as a bonus but not the original recording.

Wasn't thrilled with full voice acting, mainly because I felt obligated to listen to all the townspeople at least once and it really drags those parts out.

I do approve of the prose sections they used instead of cinematics in certain places (though some of the writing was a bit too purple for my tastes) as well as how Emil's mansion felt like a homage to Resident Evil with its fixed camera angles. :thumbsup:

I put in all that time into getting those 10 pink seeds only to find out that I missed out on a non-obvious side quest in the first part, leaving me with 98% completion. :negative: Oh well.

I liked the way lore was handled in Automata, but here it felt too obscured. Short of just looking it up on the internet, it seems like the only way to get a full sense of the setting within the game itself is to take screencaps of all the special loading screens, talk to every npc and note which ones divulge some background detail, and grind to complete weapon stories. It is true that none of this info matters at all to the player character, who explicitly states that he's tunnel-visioned about his sister. :P

On the endings, including the new one
When I got to ending A, I thought the final scene was figurative instead of literal and Ending D certainly seemed to reinforce that, but then E goes and clarifies how that scene happens. I read that this was actually included in a short story released a month after the game was released so I guess they just didn't have the time/budget to do it at the time. :lol: Seems rather annoying that it took them over 10 years to implement the actual ending in the game itself, though I guess it was for the best since the short story has too much clunky, awkward exposition from the antagonist.

In conclusion, this is the best game I've ever played that features a gay boy and a dickgirl for companions (also the only one, but details, details).

Terra

Cipher
Yeah, I recall you could blast through the whole 2nd half of the original game in like 2-3 hours with the Phoenix Spear when going for the c/d endings and nothing could touch you.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
this is the best game I've ever played that features a gay boy and a dickgirl for companions (also the only one, but details, details).

p4VJHkd.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom