Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR Replicant ver. 1.22474487139 announced for PC/PS4/XBO

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How does this compare with Automata? I see people saying this is shittier gameplay wise.

I wouldn't call Nier terrible, but Automata has the better combat still.

How does this compare with Automata? I see people saying this is shittier gameplay wise.
Wouldn't say combat is much worse, but game is flooded with shitty fedex quests. In fact most side content seems rather bad.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Several of those quests are a parody of typical RPG quests (how low will you go to tick the quest solved checkbox).

lightbane

Arcane
The side-quests in OG Nier were mostly bad on purpose, as it was to criticize the OCD behaviour of players while you're supposed to be a father worried for his daughter. Combat is not as good, so I recommend using a spear or a giant sword to quickly cut down through the enemies showing up.

Sabotin

Scholar
Still felt like they went overboard, reminded me of that "I was just pretending" meme... Also bad endings everywhere xD . Thinking back some of them did add a sense of the world moving forward and the nature of the problems you're solving changing as you know more of the story.

Speaking of which, can the sidequests be skipped on subsequent playthroughs or is there some new content there also? I'm still deliberating if I want to play again or just wiki/youtube and move on.

v1rus

Arcane
Playing this right now. Enjoying it.

Two questions (NO SPOILZ PL0X)

- Whats the point of no return, where I should have completed all the sidequests?

- When should I go for the new ending? I read it connects with Automata, so I was wondering should I get it right away, or wait till I complete Automata and return to it.

Terra

Cipher
Haven't played the remaster but as far as I recall from the original, if you want to do all the sidequests, the first point of no return is the halfway mark, where you will want to have a quest completion of 50% iirc.

The so-called 2nd, 3rd, 4th "runs" of the game are in actual fact just a secondary runthrough of the 2nd half of the game (which by your 3rd+ run can be extremely quick if you know what you're doing and are just going for the next ending), not a complete runthrough of the entire game. However, for this reason, you had to get all the part 1-exclusive quests completed before transitioning to part 2 as iirc some became locked when you enter the 2nd half of the game. Any quests that you completed in previous runs will remain complete in your next playthrough iirc.

The separation point of part 1/2 will be very obvious to you. As far as I recall, you cannot "go back" to part 1 on the same save file once you've gone past the PONR.

It has been a long time since I played Gestalt though, so maybe it's changed for the remaster. I can't even recall what was gated behind 100% quests at this point, maybe a weapon?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
The reward for 100% is the number 100%. You need all the weapons to unlock the final endings, but the only side-quests with weapons are in the second half, so you can't permanently miss them. I think the percentage of quests in the first half was actually 51% (but I'm reading that they changed this?). I've never played the remaster, just the original PS3 version, so I don't know what else that might be there.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Speaking of which, can the sidequests be skipped on subsequent playthroughs or is there some new content there also? I'm still deliberating if I want to play again or just wiki/youtube and move on.

The new content on playthrough B is that you'll now actually see what the shades are saying as well as plenty of shade backstory flashbacks (though this is for the player's benefit, Nier never understands them). The new content in route C is occasional dialogue scenes featuring the twins, also at least one big thing happens differently. IMO people who just beeline to the endings on youtube are missing out on the intended experience.

Playing this right now. Enjoying it.

Two questions (NO SPOILZ PL0X)

- Whats the point of no return, where I should have completed all the sidequests?

Your goal for the first part of the game is collecting things. When you've collected the last thing, you've reached the point of no return. By the way - some sidequests aren't entirely as obvious as what'shername giving you the quest compass to 'em and you may miss out on some unless you're OCD about talking to every NPC sometimes even multiple times by leaving and re-entering an area. :)

- When should I go for the new ending? I read it connects with Automata, so I was wondering should I get it right away, or wait till I complete Automata and return to it.

You can only get the endings in order (unless you want to skip out on ending c for some reason - note that it will be really clear which ending is C and which is D by the choice you have to make). Getting Ending E requires starting a new game after you get Ending D and then playing through the beginning of the game again (you can and should safely ignore all sidequests) up until a certain point where the plot will diverge and send you into E content.

Anyway the ending itself spoils nothing about Automata. It's an adaptation of a short story that was published shortly after Nier was originally released, though it has been modified slightly to fit into what Automata later established.

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Part 2. Im enjoying the game, but it sure is a peculiar experience. Loved Forest of Myth first time i visited. I'm getting burnt out slowly tho. I completed Drakengard 1 couple months ago, and was planning on doing a back-to-back run of Nier, Drakengard 3, Nier Automata, but no way in hell, im gonna give it a rest for some time.

When doing Ending B, how much of the part 2 is actually changed? Do you pretty much complete the game, canceling cut-scenes?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When doing Ending B, how much of the part 2 is actually changed? Do you pretty much complete the game, canceling cut-scenes?

It's the same game with additional scenes and dialogue.

SumDrunkGuy

Aw fuck me they remasturbated this thing? This was one of my fav PS3 games. Going to buy now.

OG NieR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Automata

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabotin

Scholar
Took me like 6h for ending B including the DLC. I was under the mistaken impression that you've gotta redo the sidequests and stuff but no, so it ended up being much less annoying. The extra stuff is pretty nice, gives you a new perspective and fills in the parts that sounded kinda weird during A. I usually hate new game+ things (which seem to be a staple in JRPGs) but here it strangely fits. Thinking about it it'd be difficult to have the same narrative effect in another way.

Also the people who wrote this apparently hate the player with a passion and want them to feel bad :D

Silva

Arcane

I wouldn't call Nier terrible, but Automata has the better combat still.
Does Replicant also has those crazy emotional highs like Automata's intro or tower ascesion sequence? I think that shit is among the most badass blend of storytelling, gfx and music I've seen in my life. I get goosebumps just remembering it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Does Replicant also has those crazy emotional highs like Automata's intro or tower ascesion sequence? I think that shit is among the most badass blend of storytelling, gfx and music I've seen in my life. I get goosebumps just remembering it.

It's a lower-key story overall though it does have some big sequences.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
automata is shit overrated by coomers and the influx of soy that it brought into nier fandom is a cirme
Platinum is the master of melee-combat, and content-wise, having new things to do on the routes after the first ending is more compelling than playing the same section of gameplay multiple times with only additional narrative as a motivation. :M

v1rus

Arcane
Oh, ffs.

Finally beat it all, A, B, C, D. Now onto E! I read online you need to defeat that assohole shade in Aerie for it to start, well, at least its literally in the beginning. Went there, beat the asshole, was all excited and... Nothing happened. What? Went online and... not only do I have to beat the thing the second time (so i have to go to that darn Junk Heap, and run around Seaport, but I also spoiled myself that Ending E involves playing Kaine :mad:@

Oh well. Since I made it this far, I'm going to finish it, but its the pain in the butt, I tell you.

Gonna make a pause when I finish it, a big one, then onward to Drakengard 3, and eventually Automata.

2/4 of Taros games completed, not bad. From what I googled a bit, Drakengard 3 ending unlocks are akin to Drakengards, so, no replaying the game to unlock them, while Automata is more akin to replicant.

Pls guys, tell me, is Automata ending unlocking less grindy? Its not this much of a chore, is it?

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Pls guys, tell me, is Automata ending unlocking less grindy? Its not this much of a chore, is it?
In Nier: Automata, after completing the "A" ending, which is really a midway point rather than a true ending, you
return to the beginning of the game, except now playing as 9S with 2B as your sidekick, and play through the same "main quest" plot points and boss fights, although now with better knowledge as to what is really going on (and of course you keep all your levels, abilities, weapons, whatever else). There might be a few sidequests that aren't available until Route B, and certainly there are a few side quests that are too high level to be feasible in Route A, but you might as well accomplish as much optional content as is reasonable while playing with 2B in Route A rather than with 9S.
After the "B" Ending, you proceed with the rest of the plot until you reach a climax where your decision determines whether you receive the "C" or "D" ending, but once completed you can immediately load a save game, finish the other ending, and then reload again to try for the "E" ending that will then become available. Not too much grinding involved, fortunately. +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom