Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nightdive Studios, SNEG, Ziggurat, Piko Interactive and others rereleasing classic games

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Fans made DOSBox, and made it GPL so it can be used with out paying for licensing.
So now all these people (GOG*, ND, Tommo) can sell a harvest which they nether planted nor harvested.

Is the DOSBox team opposed to third-parties selling old games with their emulator? Did they complain about this practice? Why do they have a link to GOG on their homepage?

Republishing of old games has at least one positive thing - it brings those old games to the attention of modern gamers. I remember, when System Shock 2 came to GOG it was announced on various gaming sites. So now, people who have never played it can notice it, and maybe try it.

I am always happy to see some classics again enjoying a commercial release. There is money to be made there, which is not a shameful thing to do, and it gives these games a second life. Abandonware is only needed when it is useful.

Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane
Is the DOSBox team opposed to third-parties selling old games with their emulator? Did they complain about this practice?

The DOSbox team seems be made up of generous people...

Why do they have a link to GOG on their homepage?

Referral monies, keeping a website up means servers costs.

Also GOG cultivates relatively "easy going" and "likable" image, avoids heavy-handed methods.
Plus the DRM -free stance is legitimately praiseworthy.

Plus many of them share your views:

"It gives these games a second life."
Somewhat true, however a "commercial rerelease" is far from only way of raising awareness...

"There is money to be made there, which is not a shameful thing to do..."
On this I disagree (both with you, and with them).

Its legal, but (IMHO) its certainly great shame that people who made the games aren't seeing any compensation ...

"That's just the way the video game industry works" is not a reason for me to agree with a practice...
Third world sweatshops is just the way the garment industry works.
They are also "legal" under the laws of the countries where they operate..

The fact Devs signed contracts giving them no rights, just means they work in a inherently unjust and predatory "Rip-off" system:

Copyright Clause of US Constitution said:
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

Turning the creative force in the games industry (Developers) in glorified "Contractual Day Laborers" does not IMHO seem to be a very healthy way to promote future creativity.

And I reserve the right to express my views (and distaste) on the subject...

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Whatever, free or not, if I was in the Dosbox team I would be incredibly pissed off at how much money these guys did thanks to my work. Dosbox actually started GoG. They should get some kind of reward ; sucking up to the customers while screwing both the original devs of the games and the guys who made this release possible is a dick move.

Still, I have like a 100 games in my GoG Shelf :/

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Whatever, free or not, if I was in the Dosbox team I would be incredibly pissed off at how much money these guys did thanks to my work. Dosbox actually started GoG. They should get some kind of reward ; sucking up to the customers while screwing both the original devs of the games and the guys who made this release possible is a dick move.

Still, I have like a 100 games in my GoG Shelf :/
If you would be pissed off you probably wouldn't work on a FLOSS project anyways. The whole idea is that it's free for people to do whatever they want with it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yes, but there's a difference on working on a small program that will make everyone's life easier (which was what they probably intended) and starting a whole fucking industry revolution which is now making millions in cash. The difference in that case being : time, not intent.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Why not directly ask the DOSBox team what they think? They are, after all, the ones working on it. So far I haven't seen Qbix go on a rant over the fact that some insidious bastards are making money off of his back. I can understand the other aspects of the bitching, but this one, i.e. crusading for other people, seems to be grasping at straws.

In any case the system that allows someone else to acquire the rights to an intellectual property is the current reality, for good or ill. I'd rather see them easily available than pushed to a gray legal area. I do not want even to speculate about the motives of the people behind it for what should matter most is the quality of the stuff actually being done.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Night Dive will re-release more games soon:

- Noctropolis, with remastered music and widescreen support. They're working with the original creator.
- PowerSlave/Exhumed. They're planning to include a port of the Sega Saturn version.

- They'll announce something about No One Lives Forever soon. "It's not gonna be the news what everybody is obviously hoping for, but it's gonna provide a very interesting update and some information on what's going on." hmmmmm
- They'll publishing a new indie sci-fi shooter Spirits of Xanadu.

- System Shock 2 is their best selling title.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=130336

Baron Dupek

Arcane
"It's not gonna be the news what everybody is obviously hoping for, but it's gonna provide a very interesting update and some information on what's going on."
Yeah, wonder if this is something bad (released under Warner Bros' sign on GOG?) or they trying to keep the tension.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

Last week, Night Dive founder Stephen Kick and director of business development Larry Kuperman emailed me to let me know that while they had indeed planned to re-release No One Lives Forever and its sequel, they'd hit a wall and been forced to give up. Thanks to the ongoing inability and/or unwillingness of three publishers—Activision, 20th Century Fox, and in particular Warner Bros.—to determine who owned the game, Night Dive is currently abandoning its efforts to revive No One Lives Forever.

Ah fuck.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well shit.

They should just release it anyways and then find out who owns it in the lawsuit.

Athelas

Arcane
"It's not gonna be the news what everybody is obviously hoping for, but it's gonna provide a very interesting update and some information on what's going on."
Talk about an understatement.

Though now that Warner Bros. is on GOG, perhaps we might see it eventually.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well shit.

They should just release it anyways and then find out who owns it in the lawsuit.

I don't think that's the real issue. It seems to me that what Night Dive and Stephen Kick really want is an official-looking "stamp of approval" from SOME corporation, so they can put the game on Steam and GOG without making Valve/CDProjekt scared of being sued. It doesn't matter who actually owns it. Warner Bros. has been selected as the "probable owner" they're seeking that stamp of approval from, and it seems fairly obvious that the other two companies won't care enough to contest that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
An interesting-looking space exploration game I've never heard of, Hyperspeed: http://store.steampowered.com/app/347260

Maybe you've heard of the prequel, Lightspeed. They both came out around 1990.

Anyway, trippy thought of the day. The YT trailer for Hyperspeed, combined with the game's similarities with modern-day indie titles, will probably mislead several people into thinking that it's "just another indie game", which could be good...or bad.

EDIT: Madspace looks like a game that mixes a rail shooter with a FPS running the Doom engine. Not exactly a good sign.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They mentioned Powerslave, Turok but also Doom 64 aka Doom 64 The Absolution, which was p.cool and already have (unofficial) PC port.
https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/status-on-version-2-6-and-turokex-updates/

Enjoy seeking-no-longer the light.
TL6dKzs.jpg

br4oyHQ.jpg

Riskbreaker

All download links are as dead as they get. Guess there is way more interest for this port than Kaiser hath anticipated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom