Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nightdive Studios, SNEG, Ziggurat, Piko Interactive and others rereleasing classic games

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is the first Steam release from UK-based re-release publisher named Pixel Games UK. They've been re-released retro games from UK, specifically ZX Spectrum games, on mobile.

aIGb9lU.jpg

Heh, they're going to release the remasters of ZX Spectrum games on Steam too?

ss_b899e693195d2e0dfa337377f1ece4cb4a0eed50.600x338.jpg
ss_5fd949f951819b6102552ee38ce431c0b7f18add.600x338.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Meh, I don't see the problem with rereleasing ZX Spectrum games, just as good as some of the indie releases on there. You know, as long as they aren't throwing more than a buck or so as the price tag. Hopefully this isn't a sign of the coming crashing goose though.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I am still conflicted about releasing commercially very old games that are effectively public domain.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I am still conflicted about releasing commercially very old games that are effectively public domain.

"Effectively" is sadly not good enough, either it is or it isn't.
Agree. I think that:

1. It should be, after almost 30-40 years...

2. It makes sense to commercialize oldies only if you bring some services or added value to the object, for example if you invest in its restauration or preservation or fruibility. Sadly this is often not the case: other people freely restored these games from old hardware, other people or foundations like archive.org preserved them on their servers. Other people freely coded emulators to run them, often even with open source projects available to everyone.

Being this the state of affairs, it is only a financial speculation to sell these games. Furthermore it is an anti-service: if you are legally selling something, it means that archive.org cannot host it on its server publicly. Hence you can C&D it, thus making an effective anti-preservation activity. So consumers may end paying you a thing when your only added value is to disincentive its preservation.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ziggurat re-releases.

Sea Legends (1996):

ss_0549b614a95ca18226932fe9284d1ff36ab8ba4b.600x338.jpg
ss_568fa59c75c6b53cd6932f2b5e779b8584e4798a.600x338.jpg

XF5700 Mantis Experimental Fighter (1992). For some reason this is registered as free app:

ss_62499e22bc8041b4d8a6a4d08dabd8b22f24f51f.600x338.jpg
ss_60b72defd09c1e99f6857b8880b4936fef3ccd49.600x338.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like Mirrorsoft is not done yet. Conflict: Europe (1989) by Personal Software Services.

ss_8b9196fbfc6f6b5efe62ebbd4b235e181b7fb8a2.600x338.jpg
ss_9136a38ca9075d21122c7493843e636a3db5b2e8.600x338.jpg

Finally, the threat of an atomic nightmare seems to be over. The equilibrium of terror that has held mankind under its spell for too long is about to lose its power. In CONFLICT: EUROPE we examine the diverse "what if ..." scenarios that have dominated world history for the past forty years.

In this gripping simulation, the player experiences seven different conflict situations. A comparison is made between the effects of nuclear and conventional weapon systems and the relationship between NATO and the Warsaw Pact is examined. The careful and realistic study of these scenarios in CONFLICT: EUROPE clearly shows that everything must be done to prevent such a nightmare.

FEATURES:
  • Represent either NATO or the WARSAW PACT.
  • Seven different conflict situations.
  • Full use of AWACS and reconnaissance.
  • Ground, Air, and Naval Forces included.
  • Range of nuclear and chemical fire plans
  • Special Forces raids.
  • Complex FSM based strategy system.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/why-nightdive-studios-thinks-remote-game-development-is-the-future/

Why Nightdive Studios thinks remote game development is the future

Game developers have left their offices behind and returned to where many of them started out—making games in their homes. It's not been through choice, of course, but the pandemic has taught us that a lot of companies are capable of carrying on without making their employees work in a single location.

It's not been a big transformation for every company. Nightdive Studios, the developer behind the System Shock remake and a multitude of remasters, has always worked this way. While things may eventually return to some degree of normalcy, CEO Stephen Kick and business development director Larry Kuperman see working from home as a realistic model for future developers.

Kick founded Nightdive in 2012 to bring System Shock 2 to modern PCs after acquiring the rights from an insurance company, of all things. From the outset, he tells me, it was a distributed company.

"I just didn't think to myself at the time, 'Well, if there's a pandemic and civil unrest and ecological disasters in 2020, we'll be perfectly positioned.' You know, it wasn't part of the plan, but here we are. Among the many unexpected things that have happened this past year, Nightdive's working model has become almost a universally accepted working model. Before 2020, that really wasn't the case."

It's a decision that's made the developer more accessible, in keeping with its goal to bring back classic games for old fans and new players. Kick hunted down the rights to System Shock 2 when he realised there was nowhere for him to get a copy, and starting out he wanted to find games he used to play with his father, games that had perhaps been forgotten, and bring them to a wider audience.

"We grew up playing these games, and when it was first discovered that there was a lack of interest in making sure that they even remained playable and available to even a general audience, that was really the impetus for starting Nightdive and making sure that this medium that I consider to be an art form is treated with the respect that it deserves."

That all its workers are remote has become an integral part of the company, and Kuperman has found himself having to explain to people that it doesn't want to change and move into an office—that it's by choice—which also meant it had to turn down an acquisition offer.

"We were kind of the outlier," he says, "and we had to tell people all the time, 'No, no, we're not looking to move into a headquarters; this is the way we want to operate.' A couple of years ago, we were approached by a company that offered us a partnership—I guess really an acquisition—opportunity. And it was not a trivial offering that was being made, but one of the requirements was that we'd have to open up an office, so we declined that offer, and in hindsight I think we're very happy that we did."

For Nightdive, one of the most noteworthy benefits is that it doesn't restrict its hiring pool by location or time zone. Kuperman mentions a pair of developers that work closely who live in New Zealand and Sweden, a gulf that could hardly be larger. "Their times align at certain points," he says, "but it's just different days." Nightdive also hires from within its games' communities, something that would be trickier if it came with a requirement that they'd have to relocate.

Kuperman acknowledges, however, that it's not something that works for every potential employee. He recalls a "really good candidate" who ended up not being able to take the job because their spouse didn't want them at home all the time. Some people find working from home distracting, while others find that they need more separation between work and home. I've worked remotely for a decade, and even I have my days where I'd kill for a face-to-face chat or for someone to ask if I fancy a cup of tea.

Even before the pandemic, meetings and conversations were already taking place via Slack, Discord and other apps, while getting rid of relocation stress and awful commutes can improve the work-life balance. Making sure that balance is maintained, however, requires companies to be proactive. This is an industry that often exploits passion, allowing, encouraging and sometimes mandating that workers give up their weekends and evenings to crunch.

Kuperman says sometimes Nightdive has to check in with its devs to make sure they're not overworking, and there are systems to track these things, so managers know when someone is putting in too many hours. Remote working doesn't make that easier, but he says it doesn't make it harder either; it's up to the company to make sure its employees aren't risking their health.

"If you say that is something that is important for you to know, if that balance is something that is critical for you, you can do that," he says. "We're still at that golden stage where we're big enough that we are recognised as a—and feel free to put quotes around this—real company, but we're still small enough that we interact with all of the team members on a daily basis."

In its Video Games in the 21st Century report, the ESA put the number of videogame companies in the US alone at 2,457 in 2015, which directly employed more than 65,000 people. And it's constantly growing. Among them, there isn't a 'typical developer' because, thanks to increasingly accessible tools, anyone can make games, and the distinction between indies and devs with the backing of big publishers becomes muddier with every year. While working from home has traditionally been a lot more common with smaller teams, Kick and Kuperman believe it can work regardless of size.

Nightdive has around 40 people working on its games, so it's not a large developer, making it more nimble and perhaps more capable of succeeding at the distributed route than a studio with hundreds. But Nightdive is also an unusual case. As well as having a team working on the full remake of System Shock, there's another team working on a number of remasters in different genres and with different requirements, like Blade Runner and Shadow Man. The obstacles it faces are not worlds apart from what much larger studios also have to deal with when working from home.

"Some of the same companies that thought we were outliers a couple of years ago now turn to us for advice on best practices," says Kuperman. "I also think that there isn't going to be a transition where everyone has to work at a location to everyone working distributed. I think what you're going to see is a lot more gradual, where people have some form of hybrid where maybe they'll work home for certain days. I think that what's going to happen is that people are going to find that when you grant somebody time to work from home there isn't a drop in efficiency, that you actually find that you have somebody that's happier and still doing the same or more work."

Gastrick

Cipher
Lol, why would anyone pay for a game that was free before? You might as well use your money to start a camp-fire at that point.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Pixel Games rerelease something of Codex interest. Temple of Apshai Trilogy (1986), the remake collection of the ancient dungeon crawlers.

ss_5b6587b65b8df6e9c80672b46e704009f75087e6.600x338.jpg
ss_a357a46f1a5d790d7492f549e189b324d7f449b9.600x338.jpg

And of course it's DOS version.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, really. They also have rights to this?

Pixel Games release the DOS version of Rogue by Epyx:

ss_8133cd666690fc773913cc0d1eb93b7e8bfc1ae3.600x338.jpg
ss_81cf0d4d5eb43f4a85d5eac6dc3c256f54e0cddd.600x338.jpg

In the early 1980s, a computer game emerged that changed the world of fantasy gaming forever. Randomly generated rooms meant that each journey into the infamous Dungeons of Doom was unique. The potent combination of random generation with perma-death proved to be intoxicating, and the game was so influential it spawned an entire genre: "Rogue-likes".

Now you too can experience the thrill of dungeon crawling for the fabled Amulet of Yendor in the original ASCII adventure.
  • Battle dozens of unique and powerful enemies.
  • Gather armor, weapons, food and other items to help you on your quest.
  • Scour rooms for secret hidden doors and traps.
  • Discover strange magical spells and potions, which have different wonderous effects every time you play the game.
  • Survive through 26 randomly generated levels, each more tricky and dangerous than the last, to find the Amulet, then escape... if you can!
How long has it been?

How many lifetimes have passed since I began my sojourn through this maze of underground passageways, of damp, dimly lit chambers? How long have I been alone, the only human among a menacing crew of hideous subterranean beasts, stumbling over forlorn reminders that others have passed this way before me... never to return!

Long before I forgot the warmth of the noonday sun or the refreshing coolness of the evening breeze, I forgot my name. Call me what you will. I am the Rogue.

For Rogue aficionados, you may wish to know that this particular version is Epyx Rogue v1.49 for the IBM PC.

Also Horace wanted to be a franchise.

ss_da0ea1c7d99c0d985f26b893caaae67ca1f84f8c.600x338.jpg
ss_bb23fba80b30c79100972fb88adebcf48068359e.600x338.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
With the release of Rogue- is there a huge tileset community? Mod community? Seems like a huge wasted opportunity if there is.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If I'm not mistaken, this is a sequel of sorts to Winter Games (also by Epyx).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom