Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nightdive Studios, SNEG, Ziggurat, Piko Interactive and others rereleasing classic games

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tommo is the company that bought up a lot of old Microprose IPs when Atari went bankrupt and released them on GOG. Night Dive is the outfit that re-released System Shock 2 and a bunch of other old games on Steam. A logical partnership!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...ve_Studios_Partner_to_LaunchRetroismtrade.php

LOS ANGELES, CA (October 9, 2014) — Tommo Inc., a global game and entertainment company has joined forces with Night Dive Studios, a game developer that specializes in the restoration and optimization of classic game titles to launch Tommo’s new Retroism brand, debuting today on Steam and other game portals. Retroism is devoted to reintroducing the best titles of the past to a new generation, and will feature dozens of games originally published by MicroProse, Accolade, Infogrames and other iconic publishers. The two companies have previously worked together to re-launch classic games from Humongous Entertainment.

Retroism games will be available to consumers through premier digital distribution sites such as Steam, GOG.com, Amazon, Humble Store, MacGameStore, GamersGate and Green Man Gaming. Titles making their Steam debut will be released weekly throughout the fall, available individually and in bundled packs.

The first titles to be launched will be included in the Retroism Explorer Pack, featuring Sid Meier’s Colonization, Pirates! Gold Plus and Sid Meier’s Covert Action.

“Tommo is pleased to be able bring back such great titles as Sid Meier’s Colonization, Pirates! Gold Plus, and Sid Meier’s Covert Action for today’s new generation of gaming enthusiasts” said Jonathan Wan, CEO of Tommo, Inc. “In addition to today’s announcement, later this fall we will be launching a complete gamers’ hub at Retroism.com that will celebrate these timeless games with retrospectives, videos, and images of original release materials.”

Stephen Kick, CEO of Night Dive Studios, added “For many of us that grew up playing these classic game titles, these games represent an important part of our lives. Through our partnership with Tommo, Inc. we have been able to make them accessible again for a new generation.”

Facebook: facebook.com/retroismgames

Twitter: @retroismgames

Instagram: instagram.com/retroismgames

Pinterest: pinterest.com/retroism

About Night Dive Studios:

Night Dive Studios is a dedicated team of industry veterans committed to restoring the classic PC game titles of the past and making them accessible to a new generation. Best known for restoring the smash hit game System Shock 2, other titles from Night Dive include Harvester, Wizardry, The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour, Shadow Man and I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.

Facebook: facebook.com/NightDiveStudios

Twitter: @NightDiveStudio

About Tommo: ?

Tommo Inc. was founded in 1989 and is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2014. Tommo is a worldwide publisher, licensor and manufacturer of games and accessories across multiple entertainment platforms including PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, ITunes, Google Play and PC/Mac. Tommo currently publishes over a 100 classic gaming titles under the Humongous Entertainment and Retroism Brand. Tommo also owns the Tommo Mobile brand and is currently marketing an exclusive line of Sega®-themed mobile accessory products.

Facebook: facebook.com/tommoinc

Twitter: @tommoinc

Grim Monk

Arcane
Yet another reseller with no connection to the original people who made the games in the first place...

Fans made DOSBox, and made it GPL so it can be used with out paying for licensing.
So now all these people (GOG*, ND, Tommo) can sell a harvest which they nether planted nor harvested.

They could at the very least try to "revive the IP's" doing some sequels/"Kickstarters" with the people who made the originals.

Example: They own the "Darklands" rights, so they could contact Arnold Hendrick...

But they won't.

Why spend money "promoting creativity", when you can simply sit on the IP and collect nostalgia dollers with no effort.

(*GOG has the somewhat saving grace of trying to be a DRM-free online retail alternative to Steam.)

Only decent bit:
“In addition to today’s announcement, later this fall we will be launching a complete gamers’ hub at Retroism.com that will celebrate these timeless games with retrospectives, videos, and images of original release materials.

At least that implies some work done on their part...

Last edited:

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Yet another reseller with no connection to the original people who made the games in the first place...

Fans made DOSBox, and made it GPL so it can be used with out paying for licensing.
So now all these people (GOG*, ND, Tommo) can sell a harvest which they nether planted nor harvested.

They could at the very least try to "revive the IP's" doing some sequels/"Kickstarters" with the people who made the originals.

Example: They own the "Darklands" rights, so they could contact Arnold Hendrick...

But they won't.

Why spend money "promoting creativity", when you can simply sit on the IP and collect nostalgia dollers with no effort.

(*GOG has the somewhat saving grace of trying to be a DRM-free online retail alternative to Steam.)

Only decent bit:
“In addition to today’s announcement, later this fall we will be launching a complete gamers’ hub at Retroism.com that will celebrate these timeless games with retrospectives, videos, and images of original release materials.

At least that implies some work done on their part...

Republishing of old games has at least one positive thing - it brings those old games to the attention of modern gamers. I remember, when System Shock 2 came to GOG it was announced on various gaming sites. So now, people who have never played it can notice it, and maybe try it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I wish someone would make a retro-publisher that publishes BOXED GAMES.

There's a subscription service that delivers collector's editions of indie games. I wonder if this model would work for retro games...

DkUzktH.jpg

Hey Retroism guys, do you watching this thread, right? :wink: :wink:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On one had, profiteering off of recycled work.

On the other hand, preserving and making accessible old games (and not "enhancing" them).

pippin

Is Dragonsphere still free on GoG?
And I think there is some sort of market for boxed games, just as it is a market for custom made consoles (like NES or gameboys with different designs, etc).
Also, about that indie box service, it seems they send you random games, as in, you don't get to choose them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New games released less than a week ago:

Fleet Defender: The F-14 Tomcat Simulation http://store.steampowered.com/app/328930/
F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0 http://store.steampowered.com/app/328920/
B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th http://store.steampowered.com/app/328900/

Looks like this Steam release of Fleet Defender is its "digital distribution debut." :troll:

I wonder why they didn't release Challenge of the Five Realms together with Darklands and Bloodnet. Would have made sense to have a Microprose RPG Pack.

I think that and Silent Service are the only games from GOG that haven't been released on Steam yet: http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&devpub=retroism&page=1?as=1649904300

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom