Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nightdive Studios, SNEG, Ziggurat, Piko Interactive and others rereleasing classic games

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pixel Games rerelease something of Codex interest. Temple of Apshai Trilogy (1986), the remake collection of the ancient dungeon crawlers.

:hmmm:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some of these re-release publishers have a tendency of not pushing the release button on time.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More re-releases from Pixel Games.

Impossible Mission... Remastered? Since the original was never released on IBM PC they remade the original for Windows, seemingly using C64 art. This is probably similar to other C64 games they released (Hungry Horace for example).

ss_0a0daf031a18d3f5443def7e2b58c681b238da8d.600x338.jpg
ss_ec9bd79b346715300106a43eb2ad83275ac05de6.600x338.jpg

Ask anyone who loves retro games from back in the day if they remember ‘Impossible Mission’ – they will almost certainly answer you back with the synthesised voice response of “Stay a while, stay FOREVER!”

While this classic, and at the time ground-breaking, game was ported to nearly every computer and console format of the time, it surprisingly was never ported to IBM PCs (only the sequel was). This remastered version is one remade to work on current PCs, but replicating the original game as accurately as possible, with the addition of a secret hidden minigame.

Playing a secret agent (Agent 4125) on a mission to stop the evil Professor ‘Elvin Atombender’, who it is believed is tampering with the national security computers. You must infiltrate Atombender's lair, avoid his deadly robots (or use one of your limited ‘snooze codes’ on them!), and acquire the various pieces of a password for you to use in the main control room. You have 6 literal hours to complete the game; but 10 minutes of this time is lost each time you ‘die’ within the game, and a further 2 minutes are expended if you have use the help function on your mission ‘portable computer’. With 32 rooms and 90 robots it’s no wonder this mission has been classified as ‘Impossible’ – Good luck agent 4125!

A negative review for Hungry Horace remaster doesn't give me confidence about the quality of recreation though.

International Tennis Open, another Philips thing but it's more of a game this time, I guess. Developed by Infogrames.

ss_7b88ab391584ca952d962867aef8a88efeafab49.600x338.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
However they're bringing that "remastered" Impossible Mission game about, they're not using the source code - that was lost in the San Francisco quake of '89.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ambivalent, actually, because the Battle Bugs I have on my HDD are perfectly playable in Dosbox :M

Regardless, Battle Bugs is a rock solid game. I highly recommend it to everyone. "Real-time strategy game" isn't an entirely accurate description though, because: a) It's more tactics than strategy, b) it's RTWP, c) all the missions have a very strong "puzzle" element to it, meaning that you often have to figure out a very specific approach that the devs made a level around. Still, it's very fun.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is Ziggurat a budget version of THQ Nordic?: https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/15/...gurat-interactive-acquires-publishing-rights/

BloodRayne to return from the dead as Ziggurat acquires rights

Ziggurat Interactive has purchased the sexy vampire BloodRayne video game franchise and other properties from Majesco in a bid to bring some retro PC titles back from the dead.

Ziggurat is working with Terminal Reality, the original developer of the BloodRayne series, to improve some existing titles on the PC and to explore new games in the BloodRayne universe.

The original title was published by Majesco Entertainment in 2002. It combined Nazi killing with a highly sexualized female vampire — a formula in the good old days for a popular game. Ziggurat is the latest game company to test the evergreen appeal of sexy vampires, which persists in pop culture alongside zombies as our favorite frights.

Denver, Colorado-based Ziggurat Interactive was recently formed by entrepreneur Wade Rosen as a publisher of multiplatform retro and modern games. Ziggurat also purchased Advent Rising, Raze’s Hell, and Flip’s Twisted World, which now join Ziggurat’s catalog of more than 200 intellectual properties.

Ziggurat Interactive said it is working with Terminal Reality, to update the PC versions of the BloodRayne games for better compatibility and other improvements. Ziggurat is also developing plans to further explore and expand BloodRayne’s universe.

Rosen, president of Ziggurat Interactive, said in a statement that BloodRayne has a huge fan base (the original game spawned three games, a comic book series, and three Uwe Boll movies). He said players the world over fondly remember titles like BloodRayne and Advent Rising, and his company takes seriously the opportunity to bring these games to a new audiences and expand the universes.

Mark Randel, president of Terminal Reality, said in a statement his team is excited to revisit one of its favorite game series and make it available to a new audience.

The original third-person horror action series BloodRayne introduced gamers to Rayne, a brutal half-vampire beauty traveling the world to foil Nazi plans, battle supernatural threats, and uncover more about her own complex past.

Ziggurat Interactive was launched in late 2019 with the goal of preserving and expanding the legacy of video games.

Features and enhancements of the Terminal Cut edition, created by the game’s original development team:
  • Support for higher display resolutions (up to 4K / 3840x2160).
  • Upscaled cinematic videos
  • Support for modern gamepads (XInput)
  • Improved rendering with up to 4x anti-aliasing
  • Support for higher texture resolutions allowing for use of original, uncompressed textures
  • Improvements to effects such as reflections, water, fog, and shadows

They'll be free upgrades to the existing owners.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Both are good action games but i remember thinking that the second has a bit too many cutscenes... and i always liked how Rayne looked in the first game more even if she's more detailed in the second game.

Also considering how long it has been since the last game (and they were never too mainstream games) Bloodrayne cosplay is somehow still very popular...

43yeo7w1jo131.jpg

(yes there is also Ferrill cosplay)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Pixel Games goes back to 80s era of Epyx, Jumpman, the one who he is not Mario.

ss_a43d12a66e1976425ea8e0c19c65a44f309d3073.600x338.jpg
ss_50c7de27a4cc98ac2d4a85fe88bb1bdfeb6e4e6a.600x338.jpg

One of the earliest games in the platformer genre, Jumpman sees you take on the role of an intrepid agent tasked with collecting and disarming deadly bombs laid by the evil Alienators. Traverse the 30 challenging levels of Jupiter headquarters, running, climbing and jumping from platform to platform - but watch out! A single misstep will send you tumbling to the ground!

Originally released in 1983, Jumpman became the first big hit for developer Epyx, and remains an icon of the platformer genre.

Features
  • 30 different levels
  • 5 different modes (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Grand Loop and Randomizer)
  • Play with up to 4 players in a round-robin fashion

Wunderbar

Arcane
Never played the BloodRayne series. Is there anything special about them?
the first one is a neat atmospheric action adventure full of swamps, mutated hillbillies, nazis, dark magic, vampires and other exploitation horror tropes.
the second one is a bit better gameplay-wise, but has blander and generic aesthetics cuz it's set in modern times instead of 40s.

Riskbreaker

Never played the BloodRayne series. Is there anything special about them?
the first one is a neat atmospheric action adventure full of swamps, mutated hillbillies, nazis, dark magic, vampires and other exploitation horror tropes.
the second one is a bit better gameplay-wise, but has blander and generic aesthetics cuz it's set in modern times instead of 40s.
The first game shows that same love for atmosphere and imagery of older horror movies that you see in their older title, Nocturne.
Don't really remember much about the sequel.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Pixel Games goes back to 80s era of Epyx, Jumpman, the one who he is not Mario.

ss_a43d12a66e1976425ea8e0c19c65a44f309d3073.600x338.jpg
ss_50c7de27a4cc98ac2d4a85fe88bb1bdfeb6e4e6a.600x338.jpg

One of the earliest games in the platformer genre, Jumpman sees you take on the role of an intrepid agent tasked with collecting and disarming deadly bombs laid by the evil Alienators. Traverse the 30 challenging levels of Jupiter headquarters, running, climbing and jumping from platform to platform - but watch out! A single misstep will send you tumbling to the ground!

Originally released in 1983, Jumpman became the first big hit for developer Epyx, and remains an icon of the platformer genre.

Features
  • 30 different levels
  • 5 different modes (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Grand Loop and Randomizer)
  • Play with up to 4 players in a round-robin fashion

I played the shit out of this one on a PC Booter in the late 1980s (meaning this is probably the same version). This one does not hold your hand at all.

Each level has a "gimmick" which must be sussed out and played with/around. Some levels will have unique enemies, some levels will have parts of the architecture change/disappear for every bomb collected, and some levels are just fucking mean - one early level has the lights go out for every other bomb you collect, have fun jumping around in the dark!

Thanks to the game's random mode, I could master 29 of the 30 levels, but level 30 (Grand Puzzle III) can only be reached by beating the other 29 levels in sequence - and that's quite a feat.

I'm not sure the MS-DOS version is the best one to play - the C-64 one has more colors and better sound, but I'm unsure about the speed of it.

Odds are good that if Jumpman sells, they'll try to add Jumpman Junior as well.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ziggurat releases three games from 80s, 90s, and 2000s.

Bop'N Wrestle:

ss_bce681db23677bd26c29d7be2d647c223cbed16f.600x338.jpg
ss_30f2ec62cf998031d82f7f8db6029f6d98f4cac7.600x338.jpg

Cyclemania:

ss_77b6d9cd16bc2ff615812e62256e5db1885fec08.600x338.jpg
ss_54bc5e5405a648b02cb99dfbd55275a1dbd2aceb.600x338.jpg

Deadly Dozen: Pacific Theater:

ss_ff4a29e3ecc9dd9f14180679e91e8569c69f58d1.600x338.jpg
ss_ae595e5991f39c6990d7ae4e49f26e4a5c32ff60.600x338.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They finally announced the official release of Powerslave EX, but no date yet: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres..._to_GOG_and_announces_enhanced_PowerSlave.php

In addition to these releases, Throwback Entertainment has reached an agreement with Nightdive Studios to port an enhanced version of PowerSlave to PC and consoles. No date for release has been set.

“We’re happy to be working with Nightdive on the next chapter of PowerSlave. It has been a long road for everyone and we can’t wait to see it in the hands of gamers around the world,” said Thomas Maduri, chairman of Throwback Entertainment.

Stephen Kick, CEO of Nightdive Studios, added, "We are very excited at the prospect of working with our friends at Throwback Entertainment on this and future projects. We wholeheartedly support the idea of allowing fans to play the original game while also working on a remaster for the future."

However they're bringing that "remastered" Impossible Mission game about, they're not using the source code - that was lost in the San Francisco quake of '89.

Sauce?

I lived through that earthquake and it was one of the more formative episodes of my childhood, but I didn't know it impacted the software industry/preservation.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Speaking of that, looking at reviews and forum for its "remaster", the recreation sounds awful as expected.

Just awful. even for less than 2 bucks it's not worth it. The gameplay isn't the same, the graphics can be glitch, the sound is awful. This game is where I would expect a public beta would be at, not a released product. Completely disappointed. I returned, basic playtesting with someone who has played the original would have told the publisher that this game in it's current state (mid November of 2020) is half baked.

English (for the italian review, scroll down):
Bought on Day One. Totally unplayable: entering on any rooms it doesen't show the platforms (see the screenshots) so the player falls off and die in loop.
Other than that: slower animation with not matching sounds (for example the footsteps), glitchy graphics (for example when alighed behind the side of the lift, the character "trembles").
At current state, it's garbage.
It's faithful in one thing: it resembles perfectly the glitchy bootleg games for the Commodore 64 you could get at the newspaper's in the 80s.

all rooms are empty man is falling empty room

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

Sauce?

Retro Gamer #122, page 48. They don't mention which earthquake specifically, but I recall reading about that somewhere else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom