Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nightdive Studios, SNEG, Ziggurat, Piko Interactive and others rereleasing classic games

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another ancient game from Pixel Games UK.

ss_8f38ff35caec707d6203ece8fdd0633362e642b8.600x338.jpg
ss_6ed0fa8750d0f2a6abfe30ebea169a734b12991e.600x338.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
From what I recall, Erbe Software were the biggest publisher of 8-bit games in Spain during the 1980s, to the point they'd often rebrand games published in other countries for the Spanish market.

Topo Soft was a very prolific developer for bizarre Spanish games during the 1980s, some of which haven't been translated into English. Their biggest hits include a football game that sold 100.000 copies in Spain alone (in 1987 no less!) and an isometric variant of Pac-Man that ended up being used by Pepsi for a competition in Japan.

My personal favorite Topo Soft game is a backwards take on Alien in a side-scrolling platformer where you control the monster as it infiltrates a space station and looks to ensure its future by impregnating ten crew members.

Don Peste

Arcane
From what I recall, Erbe Software were the biggest publisher of 8-bit games in Spain during the 1980s, to the point they'd often rebrand games published in other countries for the Spanish market.

Topo Soft was a very prolific developer for bizarre Spanish games during the 1980s, some of which haven't been translated into English. Their biggest hits include a football game that sold 100.000 copies in Spain alone (in 1987 no less!) and an isometric variant of Pac-Man that ended up being used by Pepsi for a competition in Japan.

My personal favorite Topo Soft game is a backwards take on Alien in a side-scrolling platformer where you control the monster as it infiltrates a space station and looks to ensure its future by impregnating ten crew members.
Sadly, nowadays it's just a random dude who bought the brand and is releasing cash grabs like this: https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2021/03/new-dreamcast-indie-release-review.html

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mirrorsoft has two new 'old' titles out on GOG:

Bombuzal is a tile-based puzzle game from 1989 involving bombs, it was originally released on the major 16-bit platforms (and the C-64) but it's been out on Steam since 2020.

But Legend of the Sword (originally released on the Rainbird-label) seems to be GOG-exclusive for now. It's an Interactive Fiction title with a graphical UI that came out on all the major 16-bit platforms in 1988.

Sadly I haven't played either game, but I faintly remember them. LotS in particular had people stumped as it's massive in scope and has a few "think outside the box"-puzzles. An example? To escape capture, you need to drop and break a bottle before getting caught, so you can use the glass shards to cut your ropes afterwards.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I feel like if your company is taking crappy old ZX Speccy games that people didn't even like when the systems were new, and then selling them again, your company doesn't have a bright future.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel like if your company is taking crappy old ZX Speccy games that people didn't even like when the systems were new, and then selling them again, your company doesn't have a bright future.

I assume the purpose of this unknown crappy games is to be bundle fodder.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ziggurat announced upcoming rereleases.

Rendering Ranger R2, Super Famicom(SNES) game were only released in Japan:

A Boy and His Blob Retro Collection:

And... Bill & Ted’s Excellent Retro Collection

The angry nerd is rolling in the basement.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Zoom Platform hosts some old games, such as some Knowledge Adventure titles. I imagine millennials will have fond memories of those. I certainly do. I would love to see more of those old edutainment games get republished.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I know no one was going to play it anyway, but little protip, don't play 3D Combat Zone, its just a mediocre clone of Battlezone.

Mortmal

Arcane
Two Image Works games, re-release by Mirrorsoft.

The Killing Cloud (1991)

ss_3dc32dcf68e5753f50613ff445ae40a5c4390e1b.600x338.jpg
ss_49c6e850cddeeb4cfb9faa4091e5b79e578f28c7.600x338.jpg

CAN YOU BREATHE NEW LIFE INTO A DESPERATE CITY THAT"S GASPING FOR AND AND GRASPING FOR HELP?

San Francisco in the 21st Century. The City by the Bay's famous fog has become and infamous lethal shroud. A permanent toxic mist that's choked half the population, and now cloaks the sinister doings of a fanatical crime syndicate, The Black Angels. You, you're the grittiest hard nosed cop ever to wear an SFPD uniform. Your assignment: descend into the poisonous mist in your XB500 hoverbike, capture the villainous ringleaders, and solve the mystery of the Cloud that kills. Hurry, before San Francisco gasps its last breath.

FEATURES:
  • Unique adventure combined with exhilarating flight simulation.
  • Authentically scaled reproduction of San Francisco including major landmarks and over 240 buildings.
  • Comprehensive hoverbike simulation features flight and hover modes, forward and reverse thrust, refueling, radar detection, weaponry, and internal and multiple external views.
  • Fly ten daring assignments, tracking down crime's kingpin and the source if the deadly cloud.
  • Use a variety of gameplay techniques including, piloting skills, mapping strategies, investigative know-how, interrogation and sleuthing.

I can already tell its the censored version, in the original version you were not interrogating prisoners like that , you were torturing them on an electric chair.

Modron

Arcane
Wonder if I should buy the original on GoG now in case they pull it when the Enhanced Edition is released or hide it behind purchasing the new release.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
It could be that once they have enough volume, they'll get to the good stuff due to word-of-mouth. For example, Dizzy games would be fun to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom