Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo DS: WH40K Squad Command

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Cool. Too bad it's Space Marine vs CSM so any good player is just gonna spam plasma and power fists if you get to build your own squads. That is, assuming they use tabletop rules, which I guess could be a wrong assumption.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Either of you guys play Chaos Gate? I thought that was a pretty decent rendition of WH40k on the computer; looked and played a lot like X-COM. The main problem was that it was buggy as shit; I don't think I was ever able to finish the campaign, due to irreparable corruption of save files.

Edit: "THE EMPEROR ORDERS YOU TO DIE."

Fez

Erudite
Destructible environments too. Why the hell do the consoles get all the big TB strategy titles now? This sounds like X-Com crossed with WH40K. Dammit.

trystero

Novice
Ah

When I read the original post, I thought it was DS only, but it is coming for the PSP as well...

Something for me to buy maybe after D&D Tactics... perhaps the PSP wasn't such a terrible purchase.

obediah

Erudite
Fez said:
Destructible environments too. Why the hell do the consoles get all the big TB strategy titles now? This sounds like X-Com crossed with WH40K. Dammit.

I figure you already know the answer, but

1) it's handhelds not consoles in general

2) low-power => suck graphics => low budget => low risk

3) low-power + reasonably complex gameplay == not RT

The only recent console TB strategy games I can think of come from japan where people don't mind using their brain as long as they can look at a 9 year old girl with bunny ears as well as breasts and eyes bigger than watermelons.

Krafter

Scholar
Looks cool, more turn based loving on my handheld. Any word on who is developing the game?

Obediah nailed it. There seem to be a bunch of similar games coming out for the DS and the PSP, keep them coming.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice. Yet another reason to be happy about my DS purchase.

Is the multiplayer just local WiFi? Or can we also play over the Internet?

Deacdo

Liturgist
I can't say I've found tactical RPGs on consoles to be very good. There was Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1 and Tactics Ogre (PS1/SNES). Maybe Front Mission 3 PS1 can be added in there. The rest? Mostly mindless leveling, random equipment, silly "systems" and puzzle like maps.

Some PSP games look somewhat interesting. Jeanne D' Arc, D&D Tactics, the FFT update and of course this game. Tough to say whether or not they'll be just standard fair or if they'll be on the same level as FFT or TO.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
SlavemasterT said:
Either of you guys play Chaos Gate? I thought that was a pretty decent rendition of WH40k on the computer; looked and played a lot like X-COM. The main problem was that it was buggy as shit; I don't think I was ever able to finish the campaign, due to irreparable corruption of save files.

Edit: "THE EMPEROR ORDERS YOU TO DIE."

I played Chaos Gate and didnt experience many bugs (at least i dont remember so, but it been quite a while so i could be wrong). Definitly a fun game if you re a 40k fan but tactics/content wise it paled in comparision to the first 2 x-com games.

my favourite 40k strategy game (TB) was Final Liberation, if you dont know it yet, give it a try. it has some flaws and VERY dated graphics even during its release year... but still absolutely great gameplay.

oh yeah , who d have thought it seems like i have to buy a DS to get good games =/

Krafter

Scholar
After some poking around, the game is being developed by Finnish developer Red Lynx, who apparently was making N-gage games before this.

As I don't (yet) have a PSP, this will be a DS purchase for me. Maybe the Jeanne D'Arc and the D&D game will change that, though.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Handheld are nice for those boring travelling moments, so I save all the games that I pick up to only play while travelling.

PSP: Yech. El zippo RPGs, not even jRPGs... and not much else to boot.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
cutterjohn said:
PSP: Yech. El zippo RPGs, not even jRPGs... and not much else to boot.
Not many to be sure, but "el zippo"?
Here are the JRPGs, TRPGs and ARPGs I could find rather easily:

Breath of Fire 3
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics
Astonishia Story (not available yet, I think)
Final Fantasy
Untold Legends: The Warrior's Code
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade
The Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch
The Legend of Heroes III: Song of the Ocean
Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Spectral Souls

Still, I get your point.
The reviews I've seen over at RPGWatch have convinced me that the Nintendo DS is the portable RPG platform of choice. There are even some decidedly Wizardry-ish games for it.

mister lamat

Scholar
no guard? what an outrage. history just got a new 'greatest villain'... and i'm looking right at you red lynx.

storm troopers get no love.

Severian Silk

Wasn't JA2 supposed to be released on the DS? How is that coming along?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom